Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Only for storage.

Votes: 19 18.8%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post a poll after reading numerous articles about oiling your barrel and still not having a solid answer.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I oil my barrel occasionally when the war department is away on business. :biggrin:

seriously though a light coat when I am going to put what ever rifle or pistol when I plan on putting it away for an extended period of time. I have a jean cloth rag that was passed down to me and has been soaking in just the right amount of oil for 20 years and I will hit all the metal parts of my rifles and pistols with it when I clean them. Also after the rifle or pistol gets wet I will put a healthy bit on the exterior/barrel. So short story long - yes I do.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Long guns definite yes, pistols/revolvers if storing. Light oil on the outside, I run a oil patch through the bore. When taking them out I run a clean dry patch down the bore but I don't believe that is necessary.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yea, after cleaning, a patch with 3 in 1 oil down the bore. Been doing this for many many years. Never have had any rust or problems.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I always do in and out I figure there's no extra harm. I have to use like thick grease for my anschutz on the bolt and barrel. It pitts and the blueing rusts super fast.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Outside of the barrel yes, inside, no. Clean my pistol barrels every 250-300 rounds or so and I shoot them often enough/rotate them through carry duty or night stand duty that I don't want oil inside the barrel.

I've never had an issue with rust on any of my firearms except my shotgun in the mag tube (mainly the spring) after I went swimming with it (fell out of my duck boat with it...)

Reactions: Dave~

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
So oiling unprotected metal parts seems intuitive to me. It never crossed my mind not to. I would like to hear the reasons you are finding to not oil them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure why you wouldn't. Yes, going on 32 years, pistols, rifles, shotguns. If it has a barrel I oil it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Perhaps some clarification on the question...

By "barrel" do you mean the barrel in general, or specifically the bore?

If barrel, I always oil the outside. I only oil the bore if the firearm is going into storage or will be idle for a prolonged period.

I have some older .22 calibers that stay oiled constantly (including a 1937 Remington Targetmaster which will sprout surface rust on the bluing overnight if you breathe on it) but I've never oiled my FNS bore any time other than cleaning, and it's immediately mopped dry (since any would-be intruder likely won't be so accommodating as to wait for me to remove oil from my barrel before forcing me to defend myself.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have not heard of light oil in the bore causing problems with the function or causing damage. I believe there are 2 reasons for running a dry patch down the bore right before shooting: 1) Oil attracts dirt and we want to clean out the dirt, 2) checking that there are no obstructions in the bore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Outside of the barrel yes, inside, no. Clean my pistol barrels every 250-300 rounds or so and I shoot them often enough/rotate them through carry duty or night stand duty that I don't want oil inside the barrel.

I've never had an issue with rust on any of my firearms except my shotgun in the mag tube (mainly the spring) after I went swimming with it (fell out of my duck boat with it...)
Fell outa the Duck boat .... I know that wasn't fun brother , I've did that a cupola time in my life .... Wasn't shooting .... just lost my balance and went in the river running limb lines ... wasn't drunk", don't drink ... just step over junk in the boat ....Greeting's , New to the forum here ... But yes keep my firearms barrels oiled when I'm not using them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run an oil patch through my barrel too after cleaning, but really, the barrel is stainless steel, so rust should not be likely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I disassemble all new guns and dip them in FrogLube. Repeat after first use and then at least once annually. So, in a way, I guess I do oil them. In minty freshness!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I do, just like any other metal part on the gun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts