FN Herstal Firearms banner

Do you or don't U keep a round chambered in your carry gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought it is bad news to carry a gun for protection, but not have a round chambered.

However - I routinely see this discussed on various gun forums - and many people don't do this...

Do you or don't U keep a round chambered in your carry gun?

·
Banned
328 Posts
I routinely carry but not with one in the chamber. My perception is that in a lot of cases where people have successfully used a weapon to defend themselves(whether or not they discharged it) the single most important factor contributing to their success was awareness of their situation - ie recognizing the threat before it was immediately upon them and therefore not having to act when it is already too late.

I figure since I'm not Han Solo if I get into a situation where a speed draw is going to make the difference I'm probably screwed anyway.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A gun not in condition one, is just a big paper weight in my opinion.

Some states have different rules for revolvers, but I thought I'd heard something about that changing if you have a transfer bar, can't remember.

Zhur

·
Registered
18 Posts
Normally, I always have a round up the spout and then cocked and locked. I will admit that on occasion this caused me some concern as I did not want an AD during any tense situations.

However, about 2 years ago I bought a Para-Ordnance LDA 7+1 45 ACP. This is now my primary carry piece- I have the protection of the safety being on when I carry with just a thumb swipe to release it combined with the inherent safety of double-action. And the LDA is a very smooth pull with a definite pressure change before trigger release- I can keep the hammer back for a very long time with no fatigue and fully pull back if I have to.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kanthek said:
I routinely carry but not with one in the chamber. My perception is that in a lot of cases where people have successfully used a weapon to defend themselves(whether or not they discharged it) the single most important factor contributing to their success was awareness of their situation - ie recognizing the threat before it was immediately upon them and therefore not having to act when it is already too late.

I figure since I'm not Han Solo if I get into a situation where a speed draw is going to make the difference I'm probably screwed anyway.
Well, I always think this is a bad idea - 1 very common scenario is being robbed in a parking lot. It happens with enough occasion in my town to be a very real possibility.

Granted - one may NOT be able to get their gun. But, if you practice a bit - and with some luck - you may be able to fake going for your wallet and pull your gun instead.

Anyway - if you don't have a round chambered - you are totally screwed in that scenario - if someone armed walks up to you and demands your money or they will kill you.

I think it is a mistake to carry a gun with no round chambered...

·
Registered
414 Posts
In the beginning I carried with no round chambered, safety off. I thought it would be worth the safety factor vs the one second it takes to cock the gun. The more things have changed lately with crime and home invasions, I carry now and keep my HD pistol loaded with one in the chamber, safety on.
I don't carry a 1911 or a block, so I'm not worried about AD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I carry a Kahr PM9 whenever I can with one in the chamber. Like others have said it's not much use if you cant shoot it and you may not get the chance to rack the slide.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Anyway - if you don't have a round chambered - you are totally screwed in that scenario - if someone armed walks up to you and demands your money or they will kill you.

Agreed although totally screwed would probably also entail having no gun at all and no knife. Of course it can depend on how far away they are from you when you see them. Too close and you won't get a shot off even with a weapon already cocked. Police are often trained to keep a minimum distance between themselves and suspects for this reason.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I place a greater emphasis on situation awareness than twitch or reflex. I am also not making the assertion that carrying cocked and locked is a bad idea. Given what you have said here I may consider doing it myself...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be aware that having a round in the chamber isn't quite "cocked and locked".

My P99 A/S is DA/SA - I don't keep the gun "cocked" in SA mode. The 1st shot would be in DA mode. The heavier DA trigger is my "safety."

·
Registered
356 Posts
ALWAYS have a round chambered. When/if it comes time to use it, you won't have the extra time to chamber a round.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally, if I have a firearm for self defense (even at home) I have a round chambered, and if it's a SA such as my Kimber Custom TLE II, I have the hammer cocked and the safety engaged. If you have a gun that you carry for self defense, and you honestly think the gun could accidentally go off with round chambered, then you need to find a new gun to carry!!! Also, a lot of people say they can watch out and if they see something coming they can pull it out and rack the slide, but in reality, if something is going down, you're heart rate is going to spike and you simply are just not going to be able to perform at your peak performance. Just ask any LEO or military person that's actually been in a combat or tactical situation and they will tell you that. That's why most officers will suggest a DAO pistol such as a Glock and keeping a round chambered so that all you have to focus on is aiming and pulling the trigger. Another thing to note, is that if you see what you think "might" be a possible situation and you pull out your gun to rack the slide and it turns out you were wrong...well congratulations, you technically just broke the law in many states. I doubt you'd be prosecuted since you could honestly say you were "afraid for your life." I myself have been in a few situations like that and could simply place my hand on my gun while it was still concealed and pull it if I needed to. I've only had to actually "brandish" a handgun once to stop a man from beating up another man by simply placing my hand on my pistol without having to draw it. He simply saw a big .45 pistol, put his hands up, and said "it's cool, don't shoot" and he left without anyone getting hurt. But anyway, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
well im my m9 yes i have a round chambered at all times when I carry it, but with my glock 17 it depends. Even more so because of how easy you can set off the trigger in the heat of a moment.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i always carry a round in the chamber, if the gun has some type of firing pin block then yes by all means carry a round in the chamber, if it doesn't then carry at you own risk.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.