FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone regularly shoot your 16 or another center fire rifle in an indoor range? I can't really see the usefulness other than for zeroeing in sights or scopes but I have friends that do it regularly. I am referring to ranges with a limit of fifty yards.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I do. Or at least I just started to. Is it useful? Probably not. But it's still fun. That's enough for me.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I just wanted to add that I'm only using an RDS, or in the case of the SCAR 16 SBR, an ACOG as a RDS. I could see a magnified optic being a bit anti-climatic once sighted in. I'm taking my Sig 556 SBR this week for it's first drive since I SBR'd it. It's sporting an Aimpoint PRO.

I'll admit I mostly shoot pistols at the indoor range. But I do like to have a carbine tag along. After not being able to shoot for a few years, I'm just happy to be pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
If you do shoot your 16 indoors that PWS brake is hell. I shot my 17 at the NRA range in Virginia and the concussion was awful. But it was still fun. I just went there to say that I had shot at the NRA headquarters.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I occasionally have sessions with my 16s at a relatively nearby indoor range (30 minute drive) that's only a few months old. An advantage the range offers that strays from your question though is the fact it has 100 yard lanes in addition to sets of shorter ones. The lanes are state-of-the-art, and under one roof the place also includes a nice gun shop and a bar & grill - so we're talking country club atmosphere with the kind of prices you'd expect for goods, services, and range time. I don't do it very often, but as was pointed out it is a nice place to zero sights and optics without other environmental complications or to simply be able to go and have some fun when it's raining on ones' precious time off. Effective ventilation helps, so sessions there don't resemble a gas chamber, which otherwise would be a real problem. Would I use a 50 yard indoor range? Yeah, I imagine I would on occasion if it were conveniently located and not too pricey. Most of my 16s time though is spent at a free public range consisting of 50 & 100 yard berms and pools of mud and piles of target debris left behind by thoughtless ***holes. Its a longer drive, but it's free!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
at the range I frequent the max range is about 18 yards. concrete walls and floor and ceiling. I shoot the SCAR 16S pretty often, and offer it to others to shoot. It is LOUD. Even doubled up plugs/muffs the concussion is terriffic. Fun, too. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
I do as the nearest outdoor range is 2 and a half hours away. I have 4 indoor ranges within 30 minutes of each other.
The brake is hellish loud though...

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
I'm guessing if we REALLY want to stretch the legs on our SCAR's we have to go to Brunig Switzerland, take it underground then out to 300m! So, who's up for a road trip?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm guessing if we REALLY want to stretch the legs on our SCAR's we have to go to Brunig Switzerland, take it underground then out to 300m! So, who's up for a road trip?

How about a group trip to the Swiss range, tours to various firearm and ammunition (FNH, HK, SIG, Swiss Arms, CZ, PPU, etc.) manufacturers and trips to other historic places?

Indoor ranges (high powered rifle and pistol) are great for winter shooting and for people who live in urban areas.

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
We've got caves and large abandoned underground mines in the US, how come someone hasn't come up with this idea yet? In some cases you wouldn't even need A/C. And yes a group trip sounds like a winner, we can let the Women go to Paris and get all artsy fartsy while we men indulge in firearms galore.

Reactions: vertigosol

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If you do shoot your 16 indoors that PWS brake is hell. I shot my 17 at the NRA range in Virginia and the concussion was awful. But it was still fun. I just went there to say that I had shot at the NRA headquarters.
Where was my invite kam? I have guns and I lived 6 minutes from there. lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts