FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
If those number are right, they would have been better off building their own house, at least here in NC, .... a 100k addition and only gained 100sqft??

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
javi said:
If those number are right, they would have been better off building their own house, at least here in NC, .... a 100k addition and only gained 100sqft??
Near the beginning it says they double their living space from 1k to 2k sq ft. Still a bit expensive for my taste.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't do that in my town - there is a certain line around the property that U can't build past.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Near the beginning it says they double their living space from 1k to 2k sq ft. Still a bit expensive for my taste.
you are right, I meant the additon only at 100k gaining 100 sqft, that is 1k per foot, according to the article, they might have paid another 200k for the other hosue, at best that is a total of 150sqft for both houses and the addition (if the first house was 0) which I think is pretty high, then again for NC.
and they say there is a housing crunch :D

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
We always want bigger and better my friend :D

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Perfectly content living within my means. More space means more room for junk to build up and gather dust. Then come moving time it will be that much worse to haul it all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mrs Jiggly and I live in a roughly 1,000sq/ft townhome now and are quite happy, but we don't have kids (and do not plan on it). We have both had bigger places at various times and we both have always come back to smaller homes.

I agree with B52U in that bigger usually means you accumulate more junk you never use, add to that more to clean, more to heat/cool, and it simply costs more. My last home was 2,800sq/ft and we never used one of the 3 bedrooms, the other spare served as storage space for junk we never used.

In our current arrangement we have two bedrooms and two baths, the smaller BR is where we sleep since we don't need much space while snoozing or gettin' jiggly. The large BR has the patio so we converted it into a sort of day room set up where we have our computer, library, comfy chairs, etc. The spare bath serves as storage, cats bathroom (litter box in tub makes cleaning a snap), and location of hamper.

We are thinking of building a new place in the next few years and it will likely be about 1,150 sq/ft and consist of a single large bedroom, one large bathroom, a large open kitchen/living room, and an additional 150sq/ft storage loft. When I showed the plans to friends over the years they always kind of laughed and said it was too small. Those same people now think we are geniuses and saying they cant wait to see it built because they too are now thinking smaller/cheaper.

It's funny that we had larger families in the 70's when homes averaged 1,400sq/ft, and yet as family size has shrunk the average home size has gone up to 2,300+sq/ft.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
My house is 3k sq ft and a 3 car garage. I am very satisfied with my house. I'm not married and I have no desired to have kids so more room for guns and other goodies :shock:

·
Registered
320 Posts
javi said:
...price of renovations around here is 300/sq ft. I think they did good if their numbers are anything like here. (electrical contractor here...)

·
Registered
62 Posts
...price of renovations around here is 300/sq ft. I think they did good if their numbers are anything like here. (electrical contractor here...)
amazing, here in NC we can build a new house, and sell it for 110sqft. wit ha lot of the "upgrdes"
As long as we live within our means......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts