FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my full-size FNS mag release in the mail because I just don't like how hard it is to actuate the one that comes stock on the FNS 9c. Does anyone know how to go about removing the old one and installing the new one? It looks different than the one I replaced in my Glock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I swapped it out. I went under the FNX forum and found the directions gloob2 posted if anyone else needs them. I had to modify them slightly:

"Pm sent. But in case anyone else is curious:

There's an S-shaped spring holding and pressurizing the mag catch. It's easily viewable if you field strip the gun and look down the magwell from the top.

If you bend a piece of piano wire into a little hook, you can catch the spring and pull it straight up. The mag catch just falls out. So there's just the two pieces - mag catch and spring.

When you put it back in, just hold the mag catch and slide the spring back down with your finger to get it started. Then push it all the way down with a flat punch. If you put it in backwards, the catch won't move. No damage done. Just take it out and set it right."

Instead of piano wire, I used needlenose pliers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh, this magazine catch is pissing me off. Every 3-6 tries I hear a "click" when I depress the magazine and nothing happens. At that point, I can rip the mag out with my hand, but it should have dropped. Every other time the mag shoots out of the magazine well, but every few it's like a light primer strike—click and nothing. With the compact mag release it was hanging up too, but I thought it was because the spring was so strong I couldn't get leverage on it (hence the wider-standard mag release button). This is telling me the gun may have to go back to FN. I hope they can fix this and that it's not a flaw in the design. This pistol is so awesome in so many ways, but if I continue to have these problems, it's a deal breaker. Is anyone else having issues? How about the full-size guns?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, here's something weird. It only happens with the flush magazine, and it only happens if I don't have a round (in this case a dummy round) in it. If there's a round, it ejects ever time. Stranger yet: the pinky extension magazine, which is also 12 rounds, ejects every time even when it's empty. I think the few grams difference between the magazine is literally the difference between pass and fail. It still could be either the magazine or the mag catch/spring, only time will tell (or FN if it goes back). Come on FN, this stuff should be squared away!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, here's something weird. It only happens with the flush magazine, and it only happens if I don't have a round (in this case a dummy round) in it. If there's a round, it ejects ever time. Stranger yet: the pinky extension magazine, which is also 12 rounds, ejects every time even when it's empty. I think the few grams difference between the magazine is literally the difference between pass and fail. It still could be either the magazine or the mag catch/spring, only time will tell (or FN if it goes back). Come on FN, this stuff should be squared away!
If I had this conversation on a Glock thread, I would have already had twenty people jump in. That's just craziness when you consider this gun is hands down better than a Glock. That said, I think I've resolved the problem. The one magazine came with a bad follower. They're only $3, so if that's the only problem with the gun, I can probably live with that. Given the price of these magazines, however, they need to be perfect out of the box in my opinion. If they can't guarantee that, maybe FN should charge what Glock does for their magazines. $25 vs $45? That's significant in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts