FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NIB SAO I purchased Friday, 18Jul08.

1. I have been told that FN no longer makes the SAO. Why would that be? When did SAO FNP production begin and end?

2. Can anyone give a rundown on production history of the various models and variations?

3. If the SAO is not being made any longer I need to get some spare parts. Do I contact FN directly?

4. Will they sell me parts for future needs like extra sears, sear springs, etc?

5. My particular pistol as a SN: 61BMR0XXXX with a Fredericksburg VA marking. Does anyone know the production date? It came with a manual that mentions only the DA/SA.

6. I am also thankful that it came without a magazine disconnect safety. Are the other FNP's without magazine disconnnect safety?

Thanks,

Craig in Clarksville, TN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this interesting if not disconcerting with regards to my current FNP when I read the questions and answers on the provided link.

7. Can you elaborate on the striker fired gun and subcompacts due out later? Are they new designs or just smaller renditions of the current FNP design? New design.
Maybe this means that the FNP is already considered obsolete by FN? Hope not. I dunno, but now my interest is peaked by the three different type of sears I saw in three different FNP pistols, two of which were NIB and one was a slightly used Browning Pro 9. I am hoping there is some sort of parts support for my SAO or else I may as well have purchased an Erma 68.

Craig in Clarksville, TN

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
No, I do not think so. They just came out with the FNP 45.

Beretta and other companies sell different models - this would be the same.

While looking for the answer I quotes - I also could have sworn that FNMan stated that there would be a smaller FNP than the "M" model.

The FNPs are just getting popular. I think you are worrying too much.

However, it should be known that FN seems to be a bit like springfield and the XDs - they do not like to sell parts. They usually make U send the gun in.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i believe the fnp series pistol came out in 2006, and they offered the gun in two calibers .40 and 9mm. they offered the pistol in DA/SA, DAO, and SAO at the time. before the fnp series fn had a pistol known as the 49 which was similar if not identical to the browning pro 9 that was manufactured for several years. fn eventually produced the fnp in .357 sig and then made a .45acp model as well.

i'm guessing the SAO variant did not sell that well as many civilians and cops have been told that DAO is the way to go if you want to avoid a civil suit, if you actually end up shooting somebody.

my brother has a fnp 9 DA/SA i don't so i'm not sure about the magazine disconnect.

not sure if there are any special parts you need since you gun is SAO

for any questions i would contact Bob Ailes directly at FN telephone# 703-288-1292

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thank you for your responses. The FNP SAO is an interesting pistol and it is a shame that it didn't sell enough to warrant continuation. I will have to hustle to get a couple of sears and associated parts it seems. Did I mention that a wealthy friend of mine, I am not wealthy, has tried to shoot apart a FNP and hasn't been able to do it. He shoots apart handguns regularly.

Craig

·
Registered
873 Posts
Spare parts are not available separately as far as I know. If the weapon fails it has to be sent in for repair.

No FNPs have a mag disconnect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can understand why FN might not sell parts if they are trying to see how their pistols are holding up and what exactly is failing. However, I would rather fix my own pistol rather than leaving it to someone I don't know. Shipping and time bug me as well. Good thing I have some Glocks, parts are plentiful, inexpensive, available and rarely necessary. Hope the FN holds up, especially if I have to send it off to get it fixed if something minor breaks. I'll call tomorrow to see how hard it is to get parts. If they won't sell parts this pistol may hit the road sooner rather than I thought. I'm a might irritated at my impatience in buying this gun. Nice trigger though in SAO. Breaks consistently at 4lbs 10oz.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts