1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police Use Taser On Shooting Victim's Family

POSTED: 1:59 pm PDT September 28, 2008
UPDATED: 6:12 pm PDT September 28, 2008

BRENTWOOD, Calif. -- After a shooting Saturday night that hospitalized one Brentwood teen, Brentwood Police tased some of the victim’s family who were interfering with assisting officers, according to police.

The shooting occurred at about 9:15 p.m. near the 7000 block of Brentwood Blvd., where three teenagers were standing. One received at least one gunshot wound and ran with the two others back to the victim’s neighborhood, according to Sgt. Mark Misquez.

Police later arrived and began assisting the victim. The victim’s family and friends gathered at the scene, and, according to Misquez, interfered in the assisting officers’ work. The officers then ordered the family members to step aside and when they did not comply, police responded by tasing some of the victim’s family, including his father and sister.

"As the brother was getting tased the dad approached asked them to stop tasing his son, then they started tasing the dad at that time there were three cops tasing two people who were already on the floor," said witness Janine Esquivel.

The police took several individuals into custody for assaulting and resisting officers, according to Misquez.

The 14-year-old shooting victim, who police did not identify, was airlifted to the John Muir Medical Center. He's listed as being in stable condition as of Sunday.

Police are still investigating the incident.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/17576750/detail.html

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Oops, The cops might be in trouble on this one. The 14 y/o is a minor, if the father was attempting to go to the aid of his child, then the cops might have overstepped their authority. On the otherhand if the father thought that cops had shot his son(possable) he might have attacked them. Not enough info to make an informed opinion.

This part is the problem:

The officers then ordered the family members to step aside and when they did not comply, police responded by tasing some of the victim’s family, including his father and sister.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Now what would a 14 year old boy be doing out at 9:15 PM in a different neighborhood than his own to get shot? :roll:

"ordered the family members to step aside"

Probably would have been a good idea to follow instructions. :?

·
Registered
305 Posts
The police are not medical technicians. There job is to asses and control the situation until the EMT's arrive. I smell a lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I used to run an ambulance division of a hospital (for 4 years). The cops don't make the call. In some situations neither do the medical personnel. Esp. when your dealing with a minor. If the parent is present and you don't get parental consent, your on the hook in a big way. I don't smell a lawsuit, I can almost Guarantee it when you TAZE the parents.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's it! After listening to it 112 times:
He didn't say "Don't taze me, bro". He said "Don't taze my Bro".
He looked pretty flabby chested; especially with that second little hand move he made. Looked like he was cupping his hand to catch his dentures when he spit them out. Worrying about krispy-nipple syndrome I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts