FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if FN test fires then adjust the sights on a pistol? On my new FNP-45 I can tell my back sight is centered, but my front sight is pushed more to the right. Mind you not a lot, but I can see it isn't on center of the slide.

The only thing that could bother me is that I am "left" impact shooter off of center on "true adjust sights", so if I am thinking correctly, wouldn't the front sight being to the right take me even more to the left? That is if the sight is off of true adjustment to the gun. Now if I am wrong where I think the bullet will hit, (to the right of center instead of left), then the sight would be where I need for my eye/shooting style to shot on center... If that is the case, this would be the 1st custom gun I have ever had from the factory :? ;)

I just picked the gun up last night and haven't fired it yet to see where she hits, will do today... Just thought I would ask in the mean time.

·
Banned
93 Posts
I believe FN like most other manufacturers sights the guns from the factory. It only matters where the pistol hits, not whether the sights look centered on the slide.

Fire a few 3 shot groups and drift them right or left as necessary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H&K 4 LIFE said:
I believe FN like most other manufacturers sights the guns from the factory. It only matters where the pistol hits, not whether the sights look centered on the slide.

Fire a few 3 shot groups and drift them right or left as necessary.
Thanks for the reply... What would be the best way to move the sight without a sight tool "if need be" and not to worry on doing any damage? Like I said above my shooting style makes me hit left of center, but until now (because I would like to adjust the sights if need be), I have always just moved my point of aim to hit center.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
could try a brass punch and light tap it with a hammer, but I personally would not do that. There's a chance you screw it up and damage the sight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks... I went out and shot 30 rounds and she seems good to go, no adjustment needed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still possible they are off... The reason I say that is I was only shooting at 7yards. I am going to do a test at the longgggggg 25yrds (for me that is a long shot, I'll use a rest) and see where it hits.

I should get a pic posted, but my rear sight looks like it is 5 years old, to old looking for a new gun... Looking down at the "v" (on top) is just old looking... Anyone else think their rear sight doesn't look "new" as it should be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts