FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides Tomac, who else uses that Magazine Parts mag clamp? (the thing that attaches 2 mags together, and the 2nd mag lays across the top)

I never really care for the way it looks, but can see the usefulness.

How do U guys like it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have one. Used it and like it, but it does block your sight on a stock PS90. If you are using an after market sight, it should allow for more elevation.

·
Registered
569 Posts
While the dual mag does allow you to reload faster than any vest/belt/pouch setup and provides excellent cheekweld for raised optics it does have a singular drawback: The first round in the top/spare mag (facing towards the shooter) will eventually start working its way loose due to recoil. It takes a full 50rds for it to work appx halfway out but it is something to be aware of.
Tomac

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not a big fan........

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
I think it's a solution looking for a problem. So when you run out of ammo in both mags - what then do you do with the hockey stick left in your hand?

It is not functional nor attractive.

I will pass on that gismo.

-TH

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thermallator said:
I think it's a solution looking for a problem. So when you run out of ammo in both mags - what then do you do with the hockey stick left in your hand?

-TH
I really like the idea of having the second mag, but couldn't see spending the money for a mag clamp. I also couldn't see having the 2 mags fixed to eachother. My solution was velcro, it is easy to take the mags apart with a little force. You also have the option of replacing the depleted mag with a fresh one or just running one magazine at a time.

If you guys are worried about the velcro holding, you can pick the gun up by grasping the top magazine. If I were to redesign the magazine for the PS90 I would incorporate a system like theone used on sig55X series or G36 magazines.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thermallator said:
-TH
I beg to differ on a point or two. It's very functional (have you even tried it?), giving you 100rds on the rifle w/o having to resort to an LBV or mag pouch and you won't find a faster way to reload the PS90 and still retain the empty mag. If you're expecting to fire over 100rds w/o a lull then what to do w/the dual empty is a moot point as you'll probably have more pressing concerns at that particular moment.
Attractive??? :roll: Sorry, I prize functionality over looks and don't even consider "attractiveness" when evaluating firearms, gear & accessories (YMMV).
Tomac

·
Vendor
5,591 Posts

If I had a high optic I would use this setup. It helps with the cheek weld and gives 100 rds of quick access.

I practice changing out the mags with My new "the vest guy" vest and like the set-up.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
If the mags were sturdier I would feel better about leaving one sitting up on top of the stock like that. It looks too exposed up there to me.

TA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
If the mags were sturdier I would feel better about leaving one sitting up on top of the stock like that. It looks too exposed up there to me.

TA
If you attach the mags with velcro you don't have to worry it as much since they have the ability to move due to the nature of the velcro.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Yes, that is a good idea to keep it in place. But, my main concern was not it being secured to the stock. I was thinking of it being exposed to things that may hit and break it. It's just a concern of mine, that's all.

TA

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Tomac said:
Thermallator said:
-TH
I beg to differ on a point or two. It's very functional (have you even tried it?), giving you 100rds on the rifle w/o having to resort to an LBV or mag pouch and you won't find a faster way to reload the PS90 and still retain the empty mag. If you're expecting to fire over 100rds w/o a lull then what to do w/the dual empty is a moot point as you'll probably have more pressing concerns at that particular moment.
Attractive??? :roll: Sorry, I prize functionality over looks and don't even consider "attractiveness" when evaluating firearms, gear & accessories (YMMV).
Tomac
Each to his own I suppose.

1. However, I would challenge you to prove that you can do a mag change faster with the 2 foot stick than a single mag set-up.

2. In combat - it HAS to work. The dual mag setup exposes the top mag to damage, malfunction and definitely - FUMBLING - while you figure out how to wield the un-Godly contraption.

3. If I'm in a situation that I HAVE to constantly fire, I will be dropping the mags, no worries about some pouch.

4. If I have 2 mags clamped and the rest in a holster, under stress, I do not know whether to flip the dual mag - or grab one from a holster. When I run singles, I know what I need to do EVERY time.

5. And if - and this is only a big if - you succeed in flipping the mag the right way and snap it in without loosing or turning a bullet faster that a single drop-grab-lock-load, you run the risk of a malfunction of some kind - I'm sure Murphy has one waiting just for that scenario.

Gent's, I press you to have your buddies time you with each set up, under duress. Combat and some afternoon at a range with the birdies chirping are 2 different things. There are OH-PLENTY dual and TRIPPLE mag clamps for the M4. Show me ONE soldier that uses them in the sandbox.

But oh well, for some people, having 10,000 rounds on tap would not be sufficient and they would find ways to double that.

And that is alll I have to say on that subject.

-TH

·
Registered
569 Posts
1. However, I would challenge you to prove that you can do a mag change faster with the 2 foot stick than a single mag set-up.
Test results using empty mags with my wife watching the second hand on the wall clock (sorry, no stopwatch available), I did 10 runs as follows after her "go" signal:
1) Pulled trigger to simulate last rd fired.
2) Rotated dual mag to insert "fresh" mag.
3) Worked charging handle to chamber "fresh" rd.
4) Reacquired sight picture.
5) Pulled trigger again as the "stop" signal.
Times were 6 sec, 6 sec, 5 sec, 6 sec, 4 sec, 5 sec, 5 sec, 5 sec, 4 sec & 4 sec for an average of 5 sec. Would anyone care to try this w/a single mag setup where you retain the empty? Howabout w/o retaining the empty?
2. In combat - it HAS to work. The dual mag setup exposes the top mag to damage, malfunction and definitely - FUMBLING - while you figure out how to wield the un-Godly contraption.
Agreed in principle but then I'm not going to the sandbox and neither am I FBI, USSS, DEA, LEO, SWAT, active military or a mall ninja so I'm not terribly worried about the concerns you stated as I cannot envision any realistic scenario where I would be using the PS90 for SD/HD and damage the mag (after all, it's not rattling around in a Humvee, constantly exposed to the hellacious environment of military combat) much less expending 50-100rds. As to "fumbling", that's what *training* is for and I know for a fact that it takes *practice* to accomplish smooth mag changes w/*any* firearm. I'll ask again: You haven't tried the dual mag setup, have you? So how do *you* know about how unwieldy it might be?
3. If I'm in a situation that I HAVE to constantly fire, I will be dropping the mags, no worries about some pouch.
And what, pray tell, will you be using to carry the spare mags you intend to drop? Which is more likely to damage a PS90 mag: dropping it or retaining it?
4. If I have 2 mags clamped and the rest in a holster, under stress, I do not know whether to flip the dual mag - or grab one from a holster. When I run singles, I know what I need to do EVERY time.
If that works for you because you can't train to the level to know that you only flip the mag *once* then the single mag setup is obviously best for you. Besides, all you have to do is *look* at the mag to know if it's loaded or not.
5. And if - and this is only a big if - you succeed in flipping the mag the right way and snap it in without loosing or turning a bullet faster that a single drop-grab-lock-load, you run the risk of a malfunction of some kind - I'm sure Murphy has one waiting just for that scenario.
First, you're assuming I'm going to need more than 50rds (how many civvie encounters have *ever* needed more than 50rds? Hard data, please.) Second, please elaborate on what these "mystery malfunctions" might be (unless, of course, they don't exist...)
Finally, I know that MagazineParts sells their dual mag clamps to LEO's so why don't you contact them yourself to verify to whom and how many so you can't accuse me of falsifying or exaggerating the data.
You don't like the dual mag setup then fine. No one's forcing you to use it or like it. However, I do suggest you at least acquaint yourself w/the item in question before denigrating it so forcefully (it helps to know what you're talking about...)
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Tomac,

Looks like you are in love with the dual mag clamp. Interestingly, you contradict yourself on a number of occasions. If you are NOT going to engage in military combat, what would you need that gismo for?

As for magazineparts.com selling to LEO .. blah blah blah - well guess what - I cann sell fuzzy bunny ears to LEO and military too - guess what - nobody will buy them. Just cause I advertsie to do so does not corelate that my fuzzy bunny ears are Mil spec and every SWAT member is just drooling to get them.

And finally, I can voice my opinion about whatever I want. If I think It's junk, wannabe poser type ad-on - I will say so.

So sad I hurt your feelings in the process.

-TH

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thermallator said:
Tomac,
Looks like you are in love with the dual mag clamp. Interestingly, you contradict yourself on a number of occasions. If you are NOT going to engage in military combat, what would you need that gismo for?
As for magazineparts.com selling to LEO .. blah blah blah - well guess what - I cann sell fuzzy bunny ears to LEO and military too - guess what - nobody will buy them. Just cause I advertsie to do so does not corelate that my fuzzy bunny ears are Mil spec and every SWAT member is just drooling to get them.
And finally, I can voice my opinion about whatever I want. If I think It's junk, wannabe poser type ad-on - I will say so.
So sad I hurt your feelings in the process.
-TH
Nope, not in love with it, it definitely has flaws (as I've posted earlier) but it is the easiest/fastest way to carry extra ammo onboard and provides excellent cheekweld for those using raised optics like an Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon, etc. Please show me where I've posted it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or words to that effect.
What do I need it for? I don't "need" a PS90, Dragunov, FN57, etc. However, since this country is still reasonably free I will continue to indulge in my freedom to purchase & use items I find of personal interest. To that end I need not justify my reasons to you or anyone else for legally owning anything. However, isn't it possible that I or someone else might like the dual mag setup (or PS90 or Dragunov or FN57, etc) because it's *fun* or is "military combat" usage the only reason you recognize? (In which case, what "military combat" are your firearms and hi capacity magazines for?...)
Perhaps I wasn't clear when I earlier posted that MagazineParts sells the dual mag clamp to LEO's: They aren't merely *offered* for sale, they are *selling them* to LEO's. Is that sufficiently clear? Again, contact MagazineParts yourself to verify how many and to whom since my word is evidently suspect (or are you afraid of what you'll find out?)
Of course you're free to voice your opinion about anyone or anything, I'm your staunchest defender in that regard. However, you'd have far more credibility if you'd actually tried it before spouting off about how bad you *imagine* it to be...
Hurt feelings? Sorry, not here...
Tomac

1 - 20 of 39 Posts