FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought my Five Seven, but due to some miscommunication I bought the Double action instead of the Single action. I have already fired it. I like it but I think I would like the Single action better. From what I have read it is easier to fire. The double action has a very long trigger pull which is not what I'm accustomed to.

What would you other forum users suggest I do? Should I just get used to the double action or try to return and exchange this "used" gun for the single action? I guess what I'm asking is; is the single action that much better than then double action?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The double action is an expensive collectors item. Right?
The trigger on the single action USG is very nice and crisp after wearing it in.
For defensive purposes a double action is often preferred.

It comes down to personal taste.
With one you will have to practice trigger control and with the other you will have to develop the muscle memory to disengage the safety instinctively.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes, It sounds like I have the wrong gun. Ok, now I need to somehow make this gun into a single action, or sell it myself if I can. (without letting my wife know that I spent all that money on the wrong gun)

Do you know if it is possible and not to pricey to send this one off to the Manufacturers to have it switched from double to single action?

Assuming you were determined to get a single action and you had just bought and used a double action, what would you do? (price is an issue, but won't stop me from getting a single action) My purposes will be offensive, the other guns I use go off with a touch of the trigger. I think it would be dangerous for me to become accustomed to a double action.

I welcome all your thoughts. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
No - since U shot it - U are stuck. It is too late to send it back to the guy you bought it from. And, no manufacturer does that. Sorry.

You would have to sell it, get as much as U can, and then buy the one U want.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you really have a dual action it won't look like the five seven at the top of this page. It will lack the safety switch, the rail slots, and has a double round trigger guard.
The dual action five seven was the first five seven, it is very rare and most are in the hands collectors. I don't think they were ever even offered to the civilian market!
It can not be turned into a single action by the factory, and you wouldn't want to anyway.
You could sell your used dual action and buy two like-new five seven USGs!

So do you really have a dual action? Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?

·
Registered
980 Posts
ShipWreck said:
No - since U shot it - U are stuck. It is too late to send it back to the guy you bought it from. And, no manufacturer does that. Sorry.

You would have to sell it, get as much as U can, and then buy the one U want.
I think SIG will change a pistol from SA to DAO, or to the new DAK.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yea, but that is more of a conversion - They don't swop the gun - they just change the trigger style - HK does it with the LEM.

But there is a frame difference, I believe for the 2 versions of the 5-7. So, it's not going to be the same thing. U can try - why not - call them Monday. But I would be surprised if they can do anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for making all those comments. I'm learning a lot.

Promoted Pawn I paid $875 plus tax. I think that is a very good price. I got it from a local gun dealer. I may not have a dual action. The Five Seven that I have looks exactly like the one at the top of this page.

I thought it was a dual action since the trigger has to be pulled back at least a cm before it fires. I called the gun shop on the phone to ask what kind I had purchased they said that I had a dual action, but it would not surprise me if they were wrong.

I was under the impression that the single action trigger fires immediatly like the m16a2 or the m4, and the double action had to be pulled back much further b/f it would fire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This has been very educational for me, I'm relieved to hear that I have the right gun and everything is normal. I understand much more about them now. In the Army we learned how to use the guns we had but we did not learn much more than that. I am trying to learn as much as I can quickly.
My Sergeant Major in the Army used to say "There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people" I always think of that before I ask a question.
Your answers have been patient and informative, I appreciate them all.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Hey, that worked out well!!!! U got the right gun!

And, most SA guns (except for maybe 1911s) have some initial takeup on the trigger - otherwise, it wouldn't be safe.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm glad we could be helpful. I was on another forum, just yesterday, where someone was confused about the five seven being a double action.
The people there, and even the moderator, ridiculed the guy and then locked the post.

I found that my USGs trigger improved after dry-firing it onto a dummy round about a thousand times. You can probably dry-fire the USG without worry of breaking the firing pin.
When you are doing these dry-fire drills you only need slide the slide back about an inch to cock the hammer and reset the trigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts