FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The AR had mag in but chamber was empty (condition 3 maybe? not too sure).
In military terms you would be in condition yellow. (magazine inserted, no round in chamber, safety on)
Red would be magazine inserted, round in chamber, safety on, ready to rock.
Green is obviously no magazine, no round in chamber, safety on.

Pretty scary experience, did you have the weapons with you because you are law enforcement, or were you coming back from the range?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I OC everywhere i can. I love AZ. But, I was coming from my truck. I keep AR in truck, in case 9mm is not sufficient. Some call me crazy..but it was advice from various family in the LE field within the Phx Office. Aunt and uncles in ICE and IRS here in Phoenix. Mother is in San Francisco's office. Army ROTC here @ ASU. Room mate is Tempe PD.

Captdreifus

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yeah, I think you did the right thing. I probably would have tried to see who it was before chambering, but eh. I hope he doesn't come back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But..if i did look before i chambered the round..i could have been in a bad spot because i would have to take cover again to charge, take safety off, then re-engage target. Id rather look with something that goes bang..rather than look and just have it go click. Im sure you would too..being enlisted yourself 8)

captdreifus

·
Registered
350 Posts
id say you did the right thing, apartments are full of criminals and you have to make it clear youre not a sheep.

personally, i dont know what i would have done, thats a tricky situation..
not knowing if they are setting up an ambush for you outside, but he obviously crapped himself and ran for the hills, and since youre alive, you handled it well :? :?

what a crazy experience

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Better safe than sorry... When he said the bold "NO" and I didn't recognize the voice, I may have asked "Who is it" but already be charging the AR. It's possible a maintenence man came into the wrong apartment, but in that case he should have replied differently. So you did alright.

I had three bad experiences in apartments before buying a house. I don't feel comfortable even visiting people who live in apartments. I don't feel safe in them at all.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
But..if i did look before i chambered the round..i could have been in a bad spot because i would have to take cover again to charge, take safety off, then re-engage target. Id rather look with something that goes bang..rather than look and just have it go click. Im sure you would too..being enlisted yourself
Chambering is just fine, it's the safety you need to worry about. In MOUT training they teach you to keep the safety on until you are actually engaging the target, as soon as the target is down, safety goes back on. clicking off safety and pulling the trigger are essentially one motion. Helps prevent you from blasting your buddy or your toes off in the event that your finger reacts to stress when you are in low ready position.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'll have to say, a tad bit of overreaction.

First, open carry is great for your pistol if you feel the need, but getting in and out of your truck everyday with the AR strapped around your neck serves a nefarious purpose as well. Everyone around you knows that you own one and exactly where to find it. Are you near your truck all the time? I'd imagine that you have a job, and that you cannot keep a watchful eye on your vehicle all the time. If there was a bad guy that lives in your apartment and he wants an AR, he needs only follow you to work, and watch for a bit, and in less than a minute, he can be the proud new owner of an AR. When I move my guns to and from a vehicle to go to the range, they come out of the safe, into a shooting bag, and into the truck as discretely as possible.

Second, I'm really surprised that the police didn't show up to ask you a few questions (that may be an indicator that he was up to no good, but who knows). Also, what if it was a police officer that was at your door. I'll just say that "Verify the threat" needs to be pushed up the list a little bit before rack and roll (roll safety off) happens.

I would not have drawn, but my pistol would not have left my hip, the only time it comes off is when I put it on the night stand to go to bed. I may have put my hand on it just to be ready, but sometimes the situation can be escalated by your actions, not just theirs. If it was just a guy coming up to tell you he's your new neighbor, you sugar supply is probably safe.

Zhur

·
Registered
630 Posts
an empty weapon is a deadly weapon. and like the other poster has said my P229 only comes off my hip when I hit the shower and I am ready for bed then it goes in the hoslter hanging on the head board and my wifes is in her purse by the side of the bed. there is now way you can get up into my house without the dog going ballasticeand the outside lights coming on

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm with TA. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adosh is def a T-loc. (Tucson local) ;) Im glad they took notice to your sweet weapon :-x

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I would say you overreacted a little but thats just me. I open carry all the time and i am even encouraged by local pd. But i would not have walked out of the apt with two weapons on you. Im not familiar with the law in your state but in my state, if someone robs my house and i catch them leaving the house with all my crap, i cant shoot them. I can shoot them in my house if they are posing a threat to me. Thats about it. But overall, a good story, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Racking and shouldering the AR was not an overreaction.

Taking off the safety and leveling the weapon is something I wouldn't do before the decision to kill.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I just thought it would bring some unnecessary attention to the op carrying around the ar....may cause neighbors to panic....just my .02. Could have an un wanted visit by leo but he may have some cool neighbors

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't think it was an overreaction. The man came in behind you, probably saw you with your hands full, not with an AR strapped across your chest. I'm sure he would have inclined to attack you if you just came out and yelled.

You should be quieter when loading the gun so that you can get a view of his face, but it is quite understandable to just scare to guy out and avoid any escalation of the situation from a direct confrontation.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't think it was an overreaction. The man came in behind you, probably saw you with your hands full, not with an AR strapped across your chest. I'm sure he would have inclined to attack you if you just came out and yelled.

You should be quieter when loading the gun so that you can get a view of his face, but it is quite understandable to just scare to guy out and avoid any escalation of the situation from a direct confrontation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts