FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering, for those that have done the barrel removal/installation/SBR conversion, I have seen a few different things on driling out the blind pin. Some say just drill out the pin itself, then I have heard to come in from the opposite side of the barrel to drill out. Anyone here done this and have the skinny on what is the best/easiest/etc?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I have heard that if U do not care about saving the original barrel - U can just use a hacksaw and cut behind the flashhider - and then you can untwist the barrel and pull it thru the receiver with no issues.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought of that, being that I was planning on sending it off to Hi-Desert Dog anyway. Maybe I'll drop him an email and see what he thinks of that.

·
Administrator
12,164 Posts
Hank said:
I had thought of that, being that I was planning on sending it off to Hi-Desert Dog anyway. Maybe I'll drop him an email and see what he thinks of that.
The barrel I sent to him was one that was cut at the blind pin so it does not matter if the barrel is cut or not.

If you do not want to keep the barrel and flash hider in its original condition, from what I have read, it is easier to cut it than to drill it and try to unscrew the flash hider (especially if the firearm has been fired). There are speciality tools that you will need to put the amout of torque needed on the barral/flash hider to get it to unscrew. I would not chance damaging the receiver (twisting it) trying to unscrew the barrel/flash hider.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, lets see....
One drill press... $500 (but I've had it for years)
9 Carbide bits...$Lost count
Chopping that bastard off with a cuttoff saw after 2 hours of frustration?...PRICELESS.

Zhur

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I take a hacksaw to the barrel+hider behind the blind pin, will the hider and barrel just slide out?

I want to get my barrel out to send to Hi-Desert dog, and wanted to know if there was anything else involved besides taking a saw to it.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
TWO HOURS I spent trying to drill out that stupid pin. What a waste of time. You have to get the bit angled just perfect.... if you are off a little bit it gets all bound up and you are screwed.

I gave up and hacked that baby right the heck off. Boy, what a satisfying feeling. I almost took a hammer to it afterwards to vent additional unreleased frustration... but alas it was time to put the short barrel on!

After waiting 4 months for approval additional mutilation of frustrating part was not required.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just spent 10 minuets drilling out the pin (not the hard part) I spent the last hour trying to use the wrenches to attempt to remove the barrel. I used the skill saw with the metal blade (maybee 5 minuets) If I had to give my two cents go with the saw to take the barrel out it is a hell of alot faster and less stress. now the easy part . Send the barrel out to High desert to SBR it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts