FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if any that have one would comment. Something I have thought about for quite some time and have looked in to them but never find any reviews, at least any that I valued. So if you have one, are they worth having for SHTF or just giggles or a waste of money, which isn't much from the ones I have looked at.

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
There's a reason the military and LE use them many using lanyards also. The sidearm is held at a more natural and faster position to draw while moving, seated, mounted etc. They're not simply tacticool, they actually serve a valuable tactical purpose. When hunting my G19 is carried in a Safariland drop holster.

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is personal preference, I would suggest using the Safariland Midride, in combination with a thigh strap and Safarilands QLS system. It sits higher up than a drop leg, but low enough for a comfortable carry and drawing position.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
They were more made for use with plate carriers/armor. I've not used one but I could see the use for me when hunting out here with a backpack..... although a single action revolver in a drop leg might look a little odd.

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
They were more made for use with plate carriers/armor. I've not used one but I could see the use for me when hunting out here with a backpack..... although a single action revolver in a drop leg might look a little odd.
I have to respectfully disagree here, Safariland has been offering their drop holster rigs long before plate carrier vests came about. Their purpose was as I mentioned, rapid access, rapid draw while moving, seated, mounted etc in this capacity they are vastly superior to a hip/waist holster. If a trained adversary is close enough they can easily counter and prevent a hip/waist draw whereas it is a bit more difficult although not impossible with a drop holster.

If I'm not mistaken it was LAPD SWAT that came up with the original drop rig not .mil. I have done lots of dynamic force on force simunition training using hip and drop, drop in every instance wins the day. I would have worn one when on my boat but they rub you wrong wearing shorts....I tried, no bueno!

In the Old West plenty of pistol shooters wore their holsters low so they could draw easier and faster while in the saddle.

Reactions: theLBC

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i use them on my dirtbike. must have level 2 retention. got my first safariland als maybe 15 years ago?
only sls is an option for a slide with an optic (i had to cut it since they didn't make one).

evolution of holsters.
don't want to look too tacticool, but use what works.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Been using them for open carry - on my property only - for three years now.

Have them for the FNS, the XD .45, the P07 and the M&P pistols.

I sweat like a pig this time of the year. Came in from 3 or 4 hrs. of fence work (expanding the dog pen to just more than twice it's original size) and I'd sweated so much I'd soaked my t-shirt through front to back, side to side, top to bottom. My shorts (and underwear were wet front to back with a little bit of dry on the bottom sides of the pants legs. My socks were wet, shoes were damp. The leather gun belt that supports the drop holster felt like it was soaked through as well. My M&P was dry. The mags. in the pouch on the leg panel were dry.

If I'd been wearing the P07 IWB the pistol would be wet, the magazine would be wet. I'd be unloading the magazines, drying off the outsides, and then field stripping the pistol to dry it off before lubing it and wiping off the outside metal surfaces with light oil, reloading the magazines and putting one back in the pistol before putting it away for the night.

In the drop holster they pistols/magazines get dusty while I'm mowing, trimming grass or limbs. They only get wet if I'm pressure washing or get caught in the rain. An IWB holster/mag. pouch would result in the pistol being just as wet under those conditions.

I'm sold on them for outside work/open carry on my property.

I use the same holsters for winter time on my property so the pistol/magazines are accessible vs. being up under a jacket or coat.

The holsters for the P07 and M&Ps are the same model and lock the pistol in or release it with the same motions.

The holsters for the XD .45 and the FNS are different from the two mentioned above but identical to each other in operation. I can get by with that because I don't carry the FNS or XD anymore.

·
Registered
908 Posts
First, apparently this was a BS account (sure was suspicious) and OP has been banned.

That said, @coupe11 thanks for sharing. I've taken to OWB leather pancake holsters. Did you try belt holsters before the drop holster, and still prefer it on your leg?

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
First, apparently this was a BS account (sure was suspicious) and OP has been banned.

That said, @coupe11 thanks for sharing. I've taken to OWB leather pancake holsters. Did you try belt holsters before the drop holster, and still prefer it on your leg?
Not sure why OP was banned unless Admin did a suspicious user/member purge. The question posed in the OP was legitimate IMO.

As for drop holsters, get one, try it out, I'd be willing to bet you'll keep it AND use it.

Reactions: FN47 and theLBC

·
Registered
205 Posts
Iv'e been through a lot of holsters over the years. The Safariland holsters I mentioned above are the most expensive.

I carried belt holsters for years. Revolvers and a 1911 in duty holsters as a LEO. Back then my off duty carry with the 1911 was in a Roger's Pancake forward cant hi-rise thumb break model. I still have that old holster. But I don't carry the 1911 anymore and the P07 is carried IWB.

I'm a big fan of consistency. I may carry two different pistol around my property but that usually ends up being a winter to spring and summer to fall transition issue with a dose of laziness. During those times I may find myself wearing long past in the morning and short pants later in the day when it warms up. I don't want to go through swapping the holster from one belt/pair of pants to the other and I end up swapping pants/holster rigs and the holsters are for different pistols. But, the two current pistols (M&P 9MM 5" PC and P07 9MM) both have ambidextrous safeties, slide release levers, magazine release buttons and triggers that all work the same way. I only buy/carry pistols with thumb safeties and carry the hammer guns cocked and locked (SA use) so hammer or striker doesn't make that much difference to me. The pistol works for me the same way.

Safariland's holsters for CZs are on the thin side. No where near the selection they develop/sell for Glocks, M&Ps, etc. I understand that. CZs are not big in LE here in the US.

If I was still riding ATVs in the mountains at home my carry rig would be one of the holsters in the shed (Safariland) with the retention features of the thumb forward loop over the back of the slide to insure my XD 45 or FNS Long Slide 40 stayed on my leg regardless of the terrain/brush. Around here that little thumb button on the side of the holster near by leg is plenty good enough to hold the pistol in the holster and release it when I need it.

I don't enthusiastically work on my cars/trucks these days. It's hard to get down on the ground/floor, hard to move around, hard to get up to go get that darn tool I didn't think I'd need, etc. The holster/pistol/mag pouch down on my upper thigh is a lot easier/less painful to crawl with, roll over on, etc. than a holster/pistol/mag pouch on my hip. That's just one reason but it's a noticeable one for me. Hoping to get rid of that truck, later this summer, that has this ratio of needed work to miles driven issue.

Wearing, using, a drop holster is something you have to get used to. It felt awkward/clumsy at first. Felt it dragging my right leg down/back when I walked. Now I don't notice it. Don't notice it? If I let my wife distract me with talk/questions/ etc. as I'm getting ready to go outside that first time I sometimes forget my pistol. I've been outside, walked to the shed, got the doggy biscuits, walked to the dog pen, let the dogs out, filled up water buckets, etc. and not realized the holster was empty till I sat on the bench to let the dogs mob me. I no longer notice the weight, or lack of it. Not a good thing, in some ways.

The Safariland holsters (the models I use) are easy to take off my belt (two clips/latches on the thigh and one between the holster/mag pouch plate and the belt) and lay on the seat beside me when I get into one of the Coupes or the Expedition to move them. Not necessary in the bench seat truck, but the consoles in the other cars (as well as the nice leather seats I don't want to damage/scrap/cut) make getting in/out with that pistol/holster rig on my leg tougher.

I may doing things wrong. I may be doing a lot of things wrong. I hope not.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
This is personal preference, I would suggest using the Safariland Midride, in combination with a thigh strap and Safarilands QLS system. It sits higher up than a drop leg, but low enough for a comfortable carry and drawing position.
Good combo here. I used this in a class once as well. I have a couple belts set up with the UBL. Though it sucks when you try and sit down. It's like having a third stumpy leg that won't bend.

I really like the ALS holster design. The retention system is simple but very intuitive.

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
Concealment solutions has a rig with a unique ability to hinge that makes it very comfortable
Atsa really good idea on a decent Kydex holster. I have bookmarked the website, thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm on the shorter side and was never a fan of drop leg holsters until I found one that I was able to adjust to ride higher than the traditional drop height and sits right around where my pocket is, a more ideal spot for me (basically sits between traditional drop leg height and belt holster height). Only downside was that in the position it was in, only 1 leg strap but I haven't noticed a problem with that setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts