FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a proud new owner of a FNP-45 and after my first outing it is obvious that I must improve my shooting skills. Being very inexperienced, I have read several articles regarding shooting techniques and have seen mentioned to practice some of these by dry firing. I am familiar with dry firing but I thought (or least have it in my mind) that was something you shouldn't do.

Is this correct? Is there a correct way to do this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
U will see 2 camps in this - but there are reports of broken firing pins in many brands of semi autos from excessive dry firing w/o snap caps.

I would buy some snap caps. Most usually are good for close to 100 hits before ya swop them with another.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have dry fired mine a bunch. Mostly when I first got it. Never had a problem. But after reading that other people may have cracked a piece in the frame doing it, I use snap caps now. Still no problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cheap way and works very well, soft/rubber/silicone/foam ear plug, installed between the hammer and pin.

Something like...

Opps my 1st post... Hello everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Hello, and welcome. I haven't heard of that method. Seems they would be too soft.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
Hello, and welcome. I haven't heard of that method. Seems they would be too soft.
I have done it using all kinds of the above types I have posted on a SigPro... Just give it a try, install the plug (you want the plug as far down as you can, near the pivot point of the hammer, but with still having full SA/DA function), put a bit of grease or some other type of "strike marker" on the hammer and pull the trigger, then check for the "marker" on the pin head... No mark, no strike.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Just get some Azoom brand snap caps and be done with it.

I use them in all my rifles, shotguns, and pistols and am very pleased with the product. The Azoom rounds are aluminum (instead of plastic like other brands) and the rubber primer pad is good for literally thousands of primer strikes. The obvious purple color of the round makes chamber checks very easy as well.

Dry fire does help greatly with trigger control. A great way to excercise with your pistol when you can't get to the range. Enjoy you new FNP-45! :?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Has anyone here ever actually had a firing pin crack due to dry firing or have pictures of what happens? Just curious. You hear dry firing is bad all the time, but I have never heard of anyone experiencing a failure of that magnitude firsthand. Now, I would be paranoid about other components cracking such as those made of polymers.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
B52U said:
Has anyone here ever actually had a firing pin crack due to dry firing or have pictures of what happens? Just curious. You hear dry firing is bad all the time, but I have never heard of anyone experiencing a failure of that magnitude firsthand. Now, I would be paranoid about other components cracking such as those made of polymers.
HK redesigned the firing pins... back in 2003 if I remember correctly... Before that, there were many reports of dry firing issues with the firing pins breaking. I have heard of numerous Beretta 92 firing bins breaking.

I have seen pics of 1 or 2 Glocks that actually had the slide crack around the firing pin hole from excessive dry firing - and this is a gun that requires dry firing to get the slide off. But, that was reportedly a TON of dry firing over the course of years.

Anyway - I do not dry fire w/o a snap cap very often on ANY gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts