FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided on an DSA FA SA 58 for my SHTF weapon, either standard or carbine. I am wondering about the maximum effective range of the Carbine, though. I know the standard Medium Contour at 21 inch barrel, can reach out there. The Carbine is 18.5 inches, and I dont know, so any thoughts would be welcome.

I also intend on a Trijicon ACOG (you only live once). The DSA site shows a 4 x 25 which is effective out to 800 meters - sounds good. The guy at Trijicon though suggested a 3 x 35 because of better eye relief. Thats just the distance between my eye and the scope tube when shooting, right? any other significance?

The age old question is smaller/shorter barrel for urban terrain, but you still might need that extra range on occasion, and I dont wanna carry 2 weapons. (difference in weight between these 2 is negligible.) Appreciate any insights - thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You are only going to loose 200fps at most between the 2 barrel lengths... go with what you can get. Which, since last week, may not be anything at all. DSA is about 6 months behind on delivery at this point, and most stock in distributers and on dealers shelves have been snapped up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy. I knew they were backed up, but not that bad. Maybe I'll have to make do with my Mini 30 and Rem 7400 after all!

·
Registered
212 Posts
You probably can get one on the auctions (gb, etc) but the price will be somewhat inflated and you may not get the exact options you want. You could also pick up an Imbel receivered kit gun, and maybe a new kit to do a rebuild if it needed it...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have both 21" and 18" versions. I prefer the 18s. They just feel a lot "handier." You're right, the weight difference is hardly noticeable. For a SHTF rifle, I would anticipate needing it more often for close (<200m) range over engaging targets at 800m. As a 2moa rifle, your accuracy potential out at the max effective range of the cartridge is iffy anyway. You really aren't giving up much with the 18" barrel, and you gain some improved handling and slightly less weight.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you are just now looking I would forget about getting one from a dealer right now. Everyone is sold out & back ordered.

If ya really want one you better have cash in hand and start hopping the forums.
The falfiles marketplace would be my 1st stop.
Put in a want to buy fal

Stay on the same page and keep hitting refresh. Lot's of stuff selling.

Then there is the ammo thing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You won't notice any difference in actual real world shooting between the two barrels.

Sitting down on a bench, sure.

Moving around or grabbing some dirt, no.

You will notice the increase in weight in trying to lug the MC around though.

Both rifles are very viable at distances far in excess than what most of us can actually use them at though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts