FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a DSA type 58 rifle some years ago. It's been a redheaded step child from the get-go. I bought a DSA folder kit for it, and the top cover/scope mount. The current problem is the bolt will not lock open on an empty mag, or manual with the bolt hold open device. My conclusion is it is because the springs are too long to compress and allow the bolt carrier group to retract rearward enough to engage the locking mechanism. My discussions with the factory on this did not help me much. I got a another set of para recoil springs and I've been trimming them down si I have the clearance for sufficient rearward bolt travel, trimming both inner and out springs evenly from the forward end. I have it now where it will lock up with out too much excessive force. One more snip should do it. My concern now, after I've cut about 1 3/8" off the springs is if they are going to be powerful enough to slam a round forward correctly to chamber correctly. I figured I could compensate for the recoil force by reducing gas pressure to the piston. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this before? How did you do it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Hopefully one of our members will have the experience to help you with this but your best bet might be to sign up on the FAL files. Members there have decades of experience with the FAL. And :welcomesigntb3: to the forum.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
If you can't manually lock it open then maybe I think that the bolt hold open device might be an issue instead of recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I agree with fnfalman. Also, the DSA scope mount top covers can be a little tricky too. You have to be careful when installing it and make sure the screws don't interfere with the bolt travel as well as the rail clamps being squared up nicely.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Buy the correct springs and inner spring guide.

The link below are the correct springs and are worth the $35 for the set. DSA springs were iffy at best and the para needs correct springs to operate correctly.
Make sure you use the spring guide between the inner springs or you will trash the springs in a few shots .

I am using a para cover and nose cut my receiver, I converted an L1A1 to a para configuration.
DSA offers nose cut and regular top covers.

https://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411735&highlight=para+springs

·
Registered
7 Posts
I kind of thought it was the mag that was responsible for that.
Are you using DSA mags? Have you tried one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts