FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a google on dummy training rounds....and my head is spinning.

Frequently I have taken n00bs to the rifle range and it is about all they can do to soak the experience up. I would LOVE to have a bunch of training rounds for all my rifles so I could spend some time with the person FIRST....THEN do LIVE ammo.

I think it would improve EVERYONE's experience. It certainly would improve safety.

Of particular interest to me are .223 and 7.62x39mm rounds. These seem to be sold a lot of places for as much as $3 each to as little as 40¢ each.

I have yet to find 5.7 dummy training rounds though. I recall seeing here a post about it...but am unable to find it now.

It seems to me that if I find a place that has dummy 5.7...they will probably have the other two types of ammo I am looking for....therefore allowing me to possibly negotiate or at a minimum incorporate one shipping fee for multiple types of dummy rounds.

Since pictures are always a PLUS, I thought a family photo might be in order.

Looking for dummy rounds for:
5.56x45mm
7.62x39mm
5.7x28mm
Heck, why not some .380 too.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
There is a post around here somewhere. EIther civilians can't buy them, or ya must buy a whole lot of them. I forget...

·
Registered
163 Posts
5.7 dummy rounds

Simply throwing a bullet into an empty case is not going to get you what you want, there is always a chance of the round slipping back in to the case every time you cycle it, which is eventually cause you more aggrivation than good.

Real dummy rounds are generally filled with plastic or some other filler, and have a shaped "bullet" head to facilitate correct feeding while not casue ign any damage or wear to the system.

Some good places to look are Brownells, Numerich Gunparts Corp, and I'd even try Bob over at FN, the customer service number is 703.288.1292.

Hope that is helpful.

Gregg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I just bought a whole BOX of B-saf dummy rds from Ryan at Elite Ammunition.
http://eliteammunition.com/bsaf.htm

NOTE: the ones he's shipping me are NOT powder coated (he had some issues with his powder coater) I'll end up sharpie marking the dummys...

I admit I ordered them without a thought to setback worries.
Another forum member advised me of potential chambering issues with such dummys so he advised me to do a "drop one in the chamber test" to ck for fit before tossing one in the mag. (someone else had sent him one that didn't FIT period)

My interest in this stemmed from reading about potential wear to the breechface from the bolt slapping home on an empty chamber at the end-o-mag...

Probably an anal worry but I thought I'd load a dummy first on range days and it would feed in last giving a surface in lieu of an empty chamber as mag emptied.

We'll see.. Hope I didn't waste what amts to a box of ammo for these.

If it works out, I'll post & anyone who still wants a few can have em for unofficial "karma" and a sase (dvd padded mailer). (you can sharpie mark em urself)

Let's see IF they function well. I'll let u know when I get em.

Doug/Atlanta Area

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a box of 50 dummy rounds of 5.7 from elite and a bunch of .223 as well.

I will post a review when it gets here. I will also let you know how marking it works out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks.. Marking them will be very important to me but I hope I'd also differentiate their "bullet" from the tip of say 197 as I load ..

Good luck with yours too.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those guys suggested a sharpie...I am wondering what color would work best. I assume it is brass case with copper round tip with no ammo or cap.

Black or blue is a natural color to select. Color the whole round this color. Not sure that would look right.

Would a Pink or Red show better? Be more "striking"? Would this color show properly?

One black stripe around the center and color the copper tip black as well?

Light blue is the standard "dummy" color for army range practice grenades and such....but I don't think light blue will show right on a copper tip and brass case. Agree?

Other color ideas?

Anybody have a JPG of a 5.7 round and can futz with photoshopping color to it?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Even with a sharpie - it will not cover that great. Ever try a marker on metal? It's not consistent and sometimes won't stay on certain areas.

Paint would be the best, but would wear off.

I guess the sharpie is good enough - I'd just use black or silver. I don't think red will cover well on brass or brass colored metal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I remember from reloading days that sharpies worked ok on the end of the case (denoted my once fired/reloaded brass as I picked it up from the range) I'm pretty sure any case band we slap on the case side will stand out enough . The tip of the 197 I shoot is pretty distinctive too. I do wish his blue powder coating woulda worked out.. it looked great in his web photo ah well... I don't plan on marking the bullet area as of now.

Ryan indicated in email that it'd be a week or so till I see em fyi..
{I keep editing so I won't contradict ship LOL}

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I am excited to get mine too.

People get all flustered with the weapons....it would be nice to show them the full action with dummy rounds in the living room before the range. I think guys would get a lot more comfortable and have a better range experience this way.

I think it will really work great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's the link from Elite's site. Ryan had a problem with his powder coater (outsourced I think) and mine are coming without the powdercoat.
(Hence all the talk about marking them as dummys)

Woulda been purdy to hv it arrive like that pic though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If I ever get some free time, I've been looking at making some rounds entirely out of a heavy-duty plastic. Not sure what they'd be good for, but I can make them in any color and for fairly cheap. Has anyone seen anything like that before by chance?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I've seen some small plastic snap caps in 9mm before. But those have a spring inside. I haven't seen ALL polymer w/ no spring before...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
"P90wn3r" If I ever get some free time, I've been looking at making some rounds entirely out of a heavy-duty plastic. Not sure what they'd be good for, but I can make them in any color and for fairly cheap. Has anyone seen anything like that before by chance?
I have some single piece maroon colored 30 Cal Carbine rounds that I use to function test with.

"A-Zoom Practice Ammo Rounds are much more than conventional snap-caps.
A-Zoom metal snap-caps are precision CNC machined from solid aluminum to exact size, then hard anodized. This hard anodized surface provides for ultra-smooth functioning and long cycling life. The highly durable dry fire “Dead Cap” can take over three thousand dry fires while protecting the firing pin. Our product lasts over 30 times longer than conventional plastic snap-caps.
A-Zoom Snap Caps are available in over 130 sizes from 50BMG to 22 Hornet."

No 5.7x28 yet though.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/index.htm

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P90wn3r said:
If I ever get some free time, I've been looking at making some rounds entirely out of a heavy-duty plastic. Not sure what they'd be good for, but I can make them in any color and for fairly cheap. Has anyone seen anything like that before by chance?
I think I saw those kinds of rounds on the internet for other calibers.

With hard plastic...it won't stand up to the ejection mechanics like brass will. Major concern of mine. If I get this stuff....I want it to function properly for a loooooong time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
But as I was cautioned by another forum member: "Keep an eye out for OAL. There is some concern with these being an actual bullet/case combo that bullet setback can occur leading to feed issues (Not much worry about overpressure in a dummy round LOL)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts