FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considered duracoating their fnp? im contemplating getting at least the slide treated on my 45

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have considered duracoating many of my firearms. I'm not sure if I will ever have it done to any of them but my AR.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone considered duracoating their fnp? im contemplating getting at least the slide treated on my 45
I really thought I would Duracoat my blued Taurus PT1911 once the finish started to wear, but it hasn't worn through yet.

--
Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah im afraid that once i went through with it id hate the look of it. guess ill sit on it for a while

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a few firearms that are Duracoated. A couple Of Ak's and one of my AR's and my Remington 870 will hopefully be done soon. You didn't say if you had the stainless or blackened slide but if you are looking to protect the slide because you are worrying about the finish wearing off, I think the duracoat will wear off long before the finish on the FNP will. If you just want to change the color in general then go for it. But on my AR where the high wear areas are like the mag well the duracoat is starting to wear off from mag changes. So to coat it to protect it you may not get the results you want, especially if you plan on carrying it. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few firearms that are Duracoated. A couple Of Ak's and one of my AR's and my Remington 870 will hopefully be done soon. You didn't say if you had the stainless or blackened slide but if you are looking to protect the slide because you are worrying about the finish wearing off, I think the duracoat will wear off long before the finish on the FNP will. If you just want to change the color in general then go for it. But on my AR where the high wear areas are like the mag well the duracoat is starting to wear off from mag changes. So to coat it to protect it you may not get the results you want, especially if you plan on carrying it. But, to each his own.
interesting. thanks for letting me know. i have the blackened slide. im also considering duracoating my benelli, but now that my understanding of the coating durability has changed, i doubt ill touch either of them. do u have any pics of the guns/wear?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not knocking duracoat at all. Its a great and durable finish when done properly, which mine were. Its just that the ones I have duracoated are not safe queens and I beat them pretty well and frequently. The only wear on my AR is around the mag well and the shell deflector. Probably two of the highest wear points. The mag well actually only has the last layer of duracoat wearing off. I'll get some pics of the wear areas. The funny thing about it is they guy that did my duracoat is more concerned about it than me. I consider it evidence that I actually take my firearms out of the safe shoot them.

I just had another thought on Duracoat. It does have a very high threshold to heat. I have my Remington 870 barrel done, but realized I had to remove the sights to make my set up work, so I wound up having to grind around to clean up the silver solder. Well, when I was heating the barrel up with a torch to get the sights knocked loose the duracoat took a long time and a lot of heat before it even started to react. And it was a very controlled area. That should say something about the durability of the product. I was not trying to say it sucks and wont hold up, I'm just saying over time, with constant use and beatings, it may start to wear, such as any paint job.

But my FNP on the other hand, after 2 years of carrying in a kydex holster, and thousands of rounds and countless range beatings, the black finish on my slide shows no signs of wearing off to the metal. I have marks from being holstered, but thats it. So regardless what people say about it being chalky looking or cheap, looks can be deceiving. I use brake cleaner to clean my slide off and looks really bad after I blow it off with compressed air. But once I get everything oiled up and a film all over it, I wipe the oil off with a blue disposable shop towel and it looks great again.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Hard chroming the slide would be the most durable refinish you could do - but then it would be 2 tone - not all black.

·
Registered
38 Posts
never used duracoat. HAve used gun kote on two SAR-1's, and for a WASR10 used 1200deg black primer wait 5 days, then 3 light coats of 500 deg low gloss black from duplicolor, back in oven for 3 hours @300deg. WASR looks like a million bucks after this cheap treatment. The duplicolor is very durable also, over 2000 rounds since recoating and no chips except on rails and other hard hit points. It's an option, but for a handgun go with something more professional..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts