FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have an acquaintance who wants to sell to me 6 boxes of this stuff that he has and he asked me to make him an offer, but I don’t know what a good price would be. I know the stuff is not made anymore, like many other older 5.7 ammo types, and that this is a specialized boutique kind of ammo.

Can anyone give me a ballpark of what a fair price or value range to him would be? I’d like to make a fair offer to him but just want to make sure I don’t pay too much for it either. I was thinking of offering maybe $75 per box based on the little info I’ve seen but I get this nagging feeling that is too much. They are still sealed (he says) and come 20 to the box.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Those are more than likely the "Brass" variant that was available before ATF said bad kitty. At one time they were over $5/rd..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your help, Buffman. I guess since I don’t know for certain, maybe $55-65 per box is safer without being a bad deal for him then if it is the brass type.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Looking at the lot number on the one that is visible, it looks like a mfg date in 2010. Not sure exactly when the "brass" version was stopped. I know that they had the bullets (not loaded ammo) for sale at one point, and they were around $1 each just for the bullets.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's hard to make out the full lot number. A picture would be nice, but odds are they are brass.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Lot# 57-28T6-VD12152010 according to the box on the upper left of the picture.

On my screen the damn pic is small and fuzzy. Looking it up now, but YES it's from 2010. I have to dig up the book since we change our lot number system on purpose every few years.

·
Registered
405 Posts
100% should be brass, here is the issue more then a few times on places like gunbroker folks will sell our boxes, most often older brass projectile ammo, with other ammo in the box and rip people off. Just a few months ago a guy bought what was supposed to be our Dev round but the box was filled with American Eagle ammo. When guys can sell it for 5 dollars a round for older ammo, that in the head of the buyer out performs newer ammo which is a false belief, tomany assholes are ready to rip people off.

So a picture of the rounds would really help to confirm. OH and just an FYI if you buy it, and it has the wrong stuff in the box please don't call me up expecting ME to exchange it for the right stuff. YES I know who the hell would do that? At least once a year I get that call.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the information and insight. I will post here how everything turns out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JWolf I promise to not ask that LOL. I would say its hard to believe people would do that but then I remember it is here and that it is now, and I am not at all surprised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want to sell it I’ll pay More for it if you want to make a profit

Hello.

I have an acquaintance who wants to sell to me 6 boxes of this stuff that he has and he asked me to make him an offer, but I don’t know what a good price would be. I know the stuff is not made anymore, like many other older 5.7 ammo types, and that this is a specialized boutique kind of ammo.

Can anyone give me a ballpark of what a fair price or value range to him would be? I’d like to make a fair offer to him but just want to make sure I don’t pay too much for it either. I was thinking of offering maybe $75 per box based on the little info I’ve seen but I get this nagging feeling that is too much. They are still sealed (he says) and come 20 to the box.

Thanks in advance.
I will buy it from you for a profit if you want to sell them and make some extra cash

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Looks like the brass projectile to me. That's some pricey stuff on the aftermarket. Seen that go for $100 a box on GB several times. Nice acquisition.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also I have taken a very good look at all of the boxes. I must say upon closer examination, only 5 are still sealed with 3 boxes of 20 opened, but all containing the same ammunition, and the final box containing only 18 rounds, also the same type, plus the one projectile shown in the photos.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Okay, here they are. They just arrived today:

View attachment 132557
View attachment 132559

8 boxes sealed, one unsealed with 19 rounds plus 1 projectile.
Are these the old style brass?
Yep those are the correct projectiles. Looks all good, you scored. Collectors will pay a lot for those.
On the EA timeline that bullet falls into 3rd evolution. That design was carried over into copper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are certainly the most unusual looking 5.7 rounds I have ever seen, not that I have seen many different types before. The projectiles are certainly very mean looking.

Again, thanks for everyone’s help.

·
Administrator
11,937 Posts
IIRC, these are or "used" to be 45gr Barnes Banded Solids (which are solid brass) that were modified to lessen the weight. Barnes stopped producing the original bullet (which looks nothing like this) because it can be loaded into a handgun. A brass projectile in a handgun is contrary to federal statutes.

The history of this ammo is available on the forum if you do a search for the information.

And to further complicate this matter, the ATF now:

"... with the popularity of AR-15 pistols, the ATF has cracked down on certain .223 Remington bullets — for example, copper bullets. This is because a copper bullet for a .223 Remington cartridge is now “armor piercing” in the eyes of the ATF because it can be used in a handgun."

Federal Information 18 USC 921(a)(17)

State by State information

The owners and management of FNForum and/or VerticalScope do not promote or endorse the use of any AP ammunition in any handgun as it is contrary to Federal & many State Laws.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Typo, it's meant to say brass not copper.

The very first gen of EA Trident bullets where made from Barnes bullets modified drawings, after said barnes bullets where manually modified, manufactured from new brass rod.

Current generation is manufactured from an exotic copper much harder then brass. It's alloy is over 95% copper so by government regulation is considered a "pure" copper meaning it is legal in any platform and funny thing California lead free compliant.

The only form of copper banned for use as classified AP material is Beryllium Copper.
While very hard this copper is extremely brittle and would make a horrid projectile with the possibility of it breaking up while still in the barrel.

AP is defined by constrution NOT whether a round will penetrate armor. They had to create this section of the 1968GAC in this form since just about any rfile cartridge at the time, and to this day including the 30.30, will penetrate most all modern armor except in a very few situations of lvl4 and PE hard panels.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts