FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
"... with the popularity of AR-15 pistols, the ATF has cracked down on certain .223 Remington bullets – for example, copper bullets. This is because a copper bullet for a .223 Remington cartridge is now “armor piercing” in the eyes of the ATF because it can be used in a handgun."

^^ is there a cite for this?

Also on a Federal level, the ATF has clarified recently that civilians can own/possess/use AP ammo. The restrictions are placed on the FFL.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
WOW!!!

The only issue I foresee is where to find loading data.
I'd start with downloading them from normal 40gr loads....due to the potential extra friction of the bullet vs standard copper jacketed bullets. Other than that shouldn't be too tough to work up a load.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I’m thinking about trying them, I’ll have to purchase a chronograph and I think I’ll use new brass (SS197 that’s been disassembled)

·
Administrator
11,937 Posts
"... with the popularity of AR-15 pistols, the ATF has cracked down on certain .223 Remington bullets – for example, copper bullets. This is because a copper bullet for a .223 Remington cartridge is now “armor piercing” in the eyes of the ATF because it can be used in a handgun." ^^ is there a cite for this? Also on a Federal level, the ATF has clarified recently that civilians can own/possess/use AP ammo. The restrictions are placed on the FFL.
Cornel Law Review. I'll provide the article link when I can access my desktop.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
B.A.T.F.E. Definition of Armor Piercing ammunition....

Specifically, the definition of “armor piercing ammunition” in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(B) provides:
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means–
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, BERYLLIUM copper or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

Standard Copper isn’t classified as AP by B.A.T.F.E. Otherwise they would have shut down Elite Ammunition’s T6B & DevestaTOR long ago. There have even been solid arguments made that absolutely none of the Statute applies to 5.56/.223 or 5.7x28 due to the “22 exemption”.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have an idea. Call your local BATF office. Ask to speak to an IOI officer and ask about copper.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have an idea. Call your local BATF office. Ask to speak to an IOI officer and ask about copper.
Hell no!!!!! Never invite the man into your life, you're just asking for trouble at that point. Almost as bad as writing a letter to their tech branch.... ::

·
Registered
405 Posts
After the guy who tried to falsely shut us down retired a new group of guys have filled the office. They are much better, very professional.
I talk with them often. That is the whole point of an IOI officer. While they can't comment directly they have apologized for anything that was miss handled in the past and
have been very adamant nothing like that would happen under their watch. That said the BATF is a big organization.

Also keep in mind unless you are an FFL or doing FFL stuff they have no legal power over you. This is why you see the FBI always along with the BATF on their raids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
He know's it's "the good stuff", he's just showing off.
Actually, no. That raid happened a long time ago, I sold my FiveseveN years ago and forgot I had the stuff. There were a number of different designs if I recal, wasn't sure if it was the S5 or T6, etc.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts