FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just got my 16s three days ago and have a hearing protection question.

I've shot it once with these and they seemed to work great unless I was standing behind the weapon while somebody else fired it.
Peltor 97079 Combat Arms Military and Police Shooting and Hunting Ear Plugs - Consumer Reusable Ear Plugs

I prefer low profile plugs as they allow easier use of the iron sites. Learning those before stepping up to a scope.

Does anybody here use plugs and what do you like?

Here's what I'm considering:

SilentEar Reusable Ear Plugs, Orange body w/Clear Flange (NRR 32) - Consumer Reusable Ear Plugs

SureFire EarPro Sonic Defenders EP4 PLUS Variable Noise Reduction Shooter's Ear Plugs (NRR 24) (1 Pair w/Carry Case) - Consumer Reusable Ear Plugs

Custom Molded Ear Plugs - Ear Plugs

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Custom molded.(at my local hearing center $170)
With the PWS brake on your rifle, it will be louder standing on the sides of it compared to directly behind it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When you get custom molded you can also get some that will work with etymotic research earbuds...and get amazing sound as well as 27db reduction. You can listen to wonderful music, or podcasts, audiobooks, or whatever else you care for. It makes it much nicer while you are putting rounds through targets. : )

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
customized molded protection with acoustic filter included ... but I prefer the electronic headset with gel cushion

·
Banned
1,509 Posts
The best and some of the least expensive foam plugs are good old Howard Leight orange foam plugs, 33dB reduction. Work great. Very cheap. You buy a huge box of them for very little.

For example, 200 pairs for $21 at Amazon. Link here.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Home Depot in my area has bags of 3M 32NRR foamies. I think the price is $14 per 80 ear plugs. Not as cheap as going with Amsdorf's recommendation but there is no wait for shipping.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have tried several forms of hearing protection (muffs, foam, plugs...etc...).

I have settled on the Surefire Sonic Ear Defender EP5 version (NRR 26). They work for me in terms of comfort, staying in my ear, allowing me to shoot my rifle with a good cheekweld and reducing the noise to a reasonable level.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I have settled on the Surefire Sonic Ear Defender EP5 version (NRR 26). They work for me in terms of comfort, staying in my ear, allowing me to shoot my rifle with a good cheekweld and reducing the noise to a reasonable level.

Reasonable... to me it sounds like it sucks to use but you deal because of comfort

Weapons: Benelli M2 and FNH FNX-9 Marine Corps: M4 With Trijicon sight and PEQ-16

·
Registered
158 Posts
I usually wear electronic muffs. I alway preferred muffs at work (acft mech at airline) because plugs made my ears sore wearing them everyday. That and i often needed to grab sone ear pro and run, an muff wee quick to throw on.
Electronic muffs are one of the best shooting creations of the last 25 years in my opinion. They are especially great in classes, so you can hear the instruction.

But the first time shooting my SCAR 17, I decided I needed to double up- plugs and muffs.

I ended up with the Surefire Ear Defender EP5s too. I like them. They areas comfortable as off the rack plugs can be, they work really well, and the muffs fit over them without trying to press them into my head.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like electronic muffs too. Wondered why I had waited so long after I got them. Nice to hear whats being said around me. Felt like I had a hearing superpower LOL.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No kidding the Scars are that loud?

Weapons: Benelli M2 and FNH FNX-9 Marine Corps: M4 With Trijicon sight and PEQ-16

·
Banned
1,509 Posts
Start saving for hearing aids if you are spending a lot of time around high power rifles being shot and are only using foam plugs.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

Same here, Surefire Defenders

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cotton balls work pretty well. :th_roll:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.