FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own both a PS90 and a 5.7 pistol. Living in a cold winter climate, I was concerned that sub-zero temperatures would affect the polymer used in the construction of both firearms. Is there any information available regarding the operating range of the polymer used by FN? Does it become brittle at certain temps?

Thank You

H.Krebs

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I looked thru the PS90 manual - seems like they would have the standard operating temperatures listed... But I see nothing in the manual about it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
seeing as how many special forces etc bought the P90, i doubt it's a problem. you got the Canadian JTF2 and Austrians with those things and both countries can get pretty cold. ;)

i know the Belgian SFG (special forces group) uses it actively (both as an CQB gun and as a backup gun for their snipers) and they train in scandinavia a lot.

i wouldn't be overly worried unless you intend to drop it into a mountain stream and then let it freeze over.

though i cant offer you any guarantees...

·
Banned
58 Posts
A-ha,

Truly the one question that has never crossed my mind. And I say that because it's now October and it's been 90 degrees all week.

I would think that cold would be less potentially damaging than heat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It should be fine. I live in Alaska and I will go shoot it when it gets really cold. Should only be a few weeks.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
ElCidTx said:
A-ha,

Truly the one question that has never crossed my mind. And I say that because it's now October and it's been 90 degrees all week.

I would think that cold would be less potentially damaging than heat.
The PS90 can handle it - but theoretically - cold is a weapon's worst enemy. Cold would neutralize a weapon before heat will. You would die before it got hot enough to bother the gun :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Depending on what material is used in the stock, it could very well shrink in the cold weather but not enough to cause problems I would assume.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
metroplex said:
Depending on what material is used in the stock, it could very well shrink in the cold weather but not enough to cause problems I would assume.
IF it is cold enough, I mean parts can free together and oil can free. Plus, if moisture builds up on the gun, the likelyhood of freezing parts goes up - of course, it needs to be pretty cold. But, this is more likely than being out in a place hot enough to hurt it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i asked the same question at an FN factory demo shoot, and the rep told me that the 5.7's poly design was designed largely with cold weather in mind. the poly transfers less temp to the shooters hand eliminating cold fatigue. i forget the exact temp he said they test down too....but it was sub-arctic.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I'm sure the polymer can take it - I Was referring to the metal parts freezing up. I've seen posts on other sites of people who complained about this happening with other guns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted a similiar question on the HK forum and was told by HK rep. that the polymer used in the HK SL8-6 (civilian version of G36) was designed to operate in temps down to -50F.

H.Krebs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts