FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just finally got my efk firedragon barrel today and had a few questions about a suppressor to use. I have a varminter 2.0 on the way, just waiting for the tax stamp:\\/:, it weighs 16 oz and is 7" long and was just wondering if i could use this suppressor for my five-seven or is it too heavy? If i cant use this suppressor, then which one should i get?
thanks in advance to everyones advice!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
SFN-57

The FN 5.7 pistol has become a favorite because of its large magazine capacity, varied ammunition available, and its chambering for the 5.7x28 cartridge designed for the FN P90 personal defense weapon. In early 1998, Gemtech developed our SFN-57 suppressor specifically for this weapon at the request of FN Manufacturing. It is threaded M10x1mm for the factory extended threaded barrel, and also fits the aftermarket EFK Firedragon and Jarvis barrels.

To this day, the Gemtech SFN-57 suppressor remains the most efficient and lightest weight suppressor available specifically for this impressive handgun. It can also be used in subcaliber role on .17HMR, .22lr, and .22 Magnum calibers.

BARREL NOTES: For the FiveSeveN pistol, an extended, threaded barrel is required. These are currently available from EFK Firedragon andJarvis, Inc.

• Caliber: 5.7x28mm
  • Sound Reduction: 32 dB
  • Length: 5.8
  • Diameter: 1.25
  • Weight: 5.2 oz.
  • Materials: High Tensile Strength Aluminum
  • Finish: Matte Black Cerakote with Reduced Visual-IR Signature
  • Mount: M10x1 RH

Price: $595.00
Please click below to find a GEMTECH dealer:

Hello everyone! I just finally got my efk firedragon barrel today and had a few questions about a suppressor to use. I have a varminter 2.0 on the way, just waiting for the tax stamp:\\/:, it weighs 16 oz and is 7" long and was just wondering if i could use this suppressor for my five-seven or is it too heavy? If i cant use this suppressor, then which one should i get?
thanks in advance to everyones advice!

·
Registered
470 Posts
It might be too heavy for a pistol, pistol suppressors in 22 cal are normally 1/3-1/2 that weight.

The Jarvis barrel is superior to the EFK barrel. Now that that's out of my system...lol.

The SWR Spectre II, Silencerco Sparrow SS, and Gemtech SFN-57 are commonly used. The Gemtech was designed for this pistol and is the "best" choice for it. The other two are rimfire cans rated for 5.7x28 pressure. I believe they are steel rather than lightweight aluminum rimfire cans. The Gemtech is alloy but was designed for the 5.7 not just rated for it. The other two cans I mentioned will require a thread adapter for the 5.7.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is "too heavy" does that just mean personal preference? Or would it cause problems because it is too heavy?

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
IMHO-- the Efk and Jarvis barrels are both compete give and the same In quality. That being said, gemtech is nice, the sparrow from how it is rated and tested also offers 32 db sound reduction. Suppressor technology changes like all technology. The gemtech has the mount 10-1, no adapter needed, older technology--- the sparrow is newer, but requires an adapter. Gemtech you cannot disassemble where as the sparrow you can. All in IMHO. I'd say go with either unless you have a specific characteristic you want in a suppressor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMHO-- the Efk and Jarvis barrels are both compete give and the same In quality. That being said, gemtech is nice, the sparrow from how it is rated and tested also offers 32 db sound reduction. Suppressor technology changes like all technology. The gemtech has the mount 10-1, no adapter needed, older technology--- the sparrow is newer, but requires an adapter. Gemtech you cannot disassemble where as the sparrow you can. All in IMHO. I'd say go with either unless you have a specific characteristic you want in a suppressor.
EFK FireDragon 5.7 barrel has a new design now, using higher quality steel than the Jarvis model (per EFK sales rep "Frankie" after speaking with her last week...FWIW). They are also comleting the first batch of EFK branded 'sparrow' adapters that are in hard coat anodization this week but will be available shortly. EFK's new TB design will work with all FN 5.7 USG models and the new FN MKII's. Hope this info helps. EFK has very good customer service also...IMHO and experience working with them lately!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya i ve already got the new efk barrel and the new adapter! And they are great, i was just wondering if my suppressor that i have ordered already would be alright to use with it.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
The EFK's are going for some serious money @ auction. They must have it going on !

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
252 Posts
The EFK's are going for some serious money @ auction. They must have it going on !
No kidding ... at $800+ a pop . "They Must have it going on!"

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Someone educate me here! I just don't "get" suppressing a round that is traveling at 2000+ fps. What am I missing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Someone educate me here! I just don't "get" suppressing a round that is traveling at 2000+ fps. What am I missing?
The report from a gun is a combination of the blast from the muzzle and the supersonic crack of the bullet. A suppressor significantly reduces muzzle blast. The crack you can eliminate with subsonic ammo. The blast is reduced by about 30dB, about the same as a good pair of earplugs.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah, I know all that but no manufacturer makes sub-sonic ammo for the five seven?

Of course, you could always "roll your own" but again, my question is what is the point.

If you are going to suppress something make it count and go with a larger caliber.

·
Registered
252 Posts
SB193
EA Quitor 5.5

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Forgot about the SB193. Is that stuff still available?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nothing fresh that I know of, old ones pop up every now and then.
I think they still have it in the FN product line and witnessed in an FN booth recently

Reactions: JMike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Elite Ammunition makes subsonic ammo, when they can. I fired five of them today through a sparrow ss suppressor in an indoor range. They performed well, and I have no complaints, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost over the normal stuff. I'll test some more outdoors when I get an opportunity.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Elite Ammunition makes subsonic ammo, when they can. I fired five of them today through a sparrow ss suppressor in an indoor range. They performed well, and I have no complaints, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost over the normal stuff. I'll test some more outdoors when I get an opportunity.
Thanks. It would be great if you could put up some video.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts