FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to their site yesterday evening and these barrels were NOT listed as Out Of Stock so I ordered one.

This a.m. I have an UPS tracking number....so we shall see in a day or so if it is real or not.

Now I will purchase a FNS 40 brother to my FNX 40 and have a .357 Sig barrel that can be used in each.

Several months ago I did this order and got an email apologizing for not having the barrels......however, this one apparently has shipped.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was supposed to get the barrel Friday, but UPS had alerted me that the delivery was changed until today.

Looks god in the FNX 40 and guess what I am doing tomorrow? Yep, The range is on my list.

Then going after the FNS 40 and get confused trying to figure out which gun has which barrel and/or which magazine in it:smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the FNX 40 and 50 rounds of Underwood 125 gr JHP out to the range a few days ago.

Swapped out the 40 barrel for the .357 Sig....and almost forgot to do that...dummie me.

Shot two mags of 357 sig (28 rds)and had 8 failures to fire from what appeared to light primer strikes.....kinda concerned me.

Swapped back to the 40 barrel and shot two mags of 180 no problem.

Swapped back and shot the unfired 357 sig rounds 5 at a time and no problem. Went through the remaining rounds and had one not fire, but it fired when I re-shot it.

I had concerns but chalked it up to maybe the barrel needed to "break" in....?????

Went by a local dealer to pick up more ammo. This guy had talked highly about .357 Sig.

Got 200 rounds of 124 gr FMJ

When I told the owner that I wanted a FNS 40 he said he had one that was used and I took a look at it....was shocked to see the price was pretty darned good. I took it down and looked at it in detail and the owner said that except for a slight scratch on the left side of the slide it looked to him as it had only been shot a few times....AND I agreed. Only one of the magazines had even a minimal scratch and the other two had never been used best I can tell.

So, it went home with me.

I took the FNS and the FNX to the range yesterday and fired 200 rds of the 357 sig through both and also fired another 100 rds of 40 through the two.

NOT A BURP. FMJ was not a problem, but it could have been a break in problem the previous day. Got to get some more JHP and see.

I am now sold on the 357 Sig.

I never agreed that the 40 was snappy as I believe the weight of the FNX and the 40 handle it very well. Heck my Sig p938 has more snap with the 9mm.

The 357 Sig initiall did seem to have some snap, but I credit that to getting accustomed to the vagaries of the ammo...and not have fired a weapon in 4 months.

Noise, I am not sure as I do not hear well and with ear muffs on, not a problem

The biggie, to me, was that I fired the 357 Sig more accurately at 15 yards. I even fired at a bush at 100 yards and was not far off of it from the sand kicking up.....more practice and familiarity will improve that.

I am glad that I got the barrel and, now I also have my first striker fired pistol in the FNS 40.....and the price was 419.00 plus tax for what appears to be a very very little used weapon.

Now the biggest problem is to which pistol to carry among the 7 I have in various calibers. I carried (owb concealed) the FNS yesterday and today and was comfortable with it...and it fits my FNX holster just like the FNX.

Now what is next?:oops:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next is a FNX Tact 45 with the red dot. I'll give the 357 sig barrel a try when funds allow it. Thanks!
I have had the FNX 45 for a year now...non tactical...and am perfectly happy with it....do not need nor want a tactical, but to each his/her own.

Hopefully my post, good or bad, will help your decision on the 357 sig barrel for the 40.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suspect your new barrel was chambered too deeply, creating excessive headspace. If the round is 'loose' in the chamber the primer strike may well be too light. You can get a pretty good idea by comparing where the rims of the .40 and .357 are in their chambers with the barrels removed. Excessive headspace will be indicated if the rim in the suspect barrel is lower than the reliable one. AC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts