FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eforms site down temporarily...

Hate to be the barer of bad new but just wanted to give you guys a heads up :cry:

ATF Statement:

The eForms software is not performing to our expectations. As a result, we are taking the eForms system down until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work with our industry partners to deliver a quality product. Any eForm submitted will continue to be processed. The finalized forms will be sent to the user via email.
Until the eForms system is returned to service for the industry, all imports forms (Forms 6 Part I and 6A), NFA forms (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10), and AFMER reports (Form 5300.11) must be submitted via paper, including any eForms in draft status.

Eforms Webpage:

eForms Outage

Due to maintenance, the eForms system is unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience.

In the interim, all imports forms (Forms 6 Part I and 6A), NFA forms (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10), and AFMER reports (Form 5300.11) must be submitted via paper, including any eForms in draft status.

• Tax refund for draft eForms
    • Direct a request for refund to [email protected]
    • Include the email that was generated for the payment
  • Copy of submitted or finalized eForm
    • Direct a request to [email protected]
    • Provide specific information regarding what is being requested
  • Status queries
    • Contact the NFA Branch at (304) 616-4500
    • Contact the Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch at (304) 616-4550
  • Other eForms questions

Edit to add: I don't think this means that the site will not come back, I think it is just offline while they are working on it. I am thinking optimistically...

·
Registered
841 Posts
The "ATF statement" is supposedly no longer accurate.

That was their original message on the eForm site but it was replaced in the first 24 hours with the current message, that it is no longer "offline indefinitely" it is only (temporarily) unavailable due to maintenance.

This has been / is being discussed in a couple different threads on the forum here :)

example -- see this story (specifically the update at the end)
http://silencernews.com/atf-takes-down-eforms-until-further-notice/

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If efile is down for good i may as well file as individual instead of trust. Unless i am missing some benefit of using the trust. I only wanted to e file to speed up the process.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's (supposedly) not down for good! see above.

Don't freak too much based on just the title here.

If it was down forever they wouldn't have changed the messaging imo.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If efile is down for good i may as well file as individual instead of trust. Unless i am missing some benefit of using the trust. I only wanted to e file to speed up the process.
One benefit of a Trust vs. individual is the ability to bypass the chief LEO signature, fingerprint and photos requirement for folks in areas where the chief LEO is not cooperative or for those that just don't like these invasive steps. Also, the trust allows for you to appoint other individuals that can use and inherit your NFA items.
As previously stated, I don't think they plan to permanently take down the e-file system. However, nobody knows how long it will be before it is back up, so it's a gamble on how long you will wait if you wait for it to come back online vs. paper filing.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's (supposedly) not down for good! see above.

Don't freak too much based on just the title here.

If it was down forever they wouldn't have changed the messaging imo.
I would like to agree with you, but I am not sure I will give the NFA that much credit...

I am however thinking optimistically in my head, hoping it will be back up soon.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
One benefit of a Trust vs. individual is the ability to bypass the chief LEO signature, fingerprint and photos requirement for folks in areas where the chief LEO is not cooperative or for those that just don't like these invasive steps. Also, the trust allows for you to appoint other individuals that can use and inherit your NFA items.
As previously stated, I don't think they plan to permanently take down the e-file system. However, nobody knows how long it will be before it is back up, so it's a gamble on how long you will wait if you wait for it to come back online vs. paper filing.
The first part With CLEO, Prints and Photo is not an issue with me. The second part maybe a benefit however I believe if you die the BATFE will do a one time transfer to your spouse for free. So that may be a wash. For me shorter wait time was a big factor in e filing with a trust.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Maybe this outage will let them get back to the 90-day approval times they had a couple months ago...or perhaps that's looking at this situation too optimistically

·
Registered
876 Posts
The site was running on a Windows server running IIS and the site was programmed in .jsp Basically it was a 5 year olds science fair project. You can look up why JSP is a horrible language to program a large site. I think they are going to upgrade to Oracle HTTP server 12 or 13. Hopefully they re-write the code in something less crappy. Java is great if you don't know how to program in something difficult like C/C++, but with the ease of use comes lots of crappy code. Hopefully they will get the grumpy old programmer in the basement to redo the site.....If anyone out there works in IT knows who I'm talking about. The grumpy old programmer - "Who the F wrote this piece of Sh*T, Fing worthless amateur's...I leaned to program in assembly...you kids with these IDE languages don't know what the F you are doing......Give me a couple of days and I'll just re-write this crap......then leave me alone again so I can play minesweeper"

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The sky is not falling. Not yet. I am going to wait a couple weeks and see what happens. And because I trust the ATF about as far as I can throw them I will have paper forms sent out here as a back up!

Reactions: Performify
1 - 20 of 39 Posts