FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the idea of the Elcan but have not had the opportunity to use one. I am close to pulling the trigger on a 1.5-6x and my main question at this point is how well everyone likes the BUIS on the Elcan -- not many have mentioned it's practical use.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've never used mine. When I talked to Chris at CS Tactical, he pretty much confirmed that they are useless/not highly functional. According to the Elcan
User Manual, they are "emergency/heavy rain sights" that have a zero of app 35 yards. The instructions say you can adjust azimuth on the front sight, but I'm not sure how that works.

Actually, after a day of shooting, i noticed that the rear peep "rain sight" had come loose. I removed it and threw it in my range bag and have not put it back on. I actually think that I might take the front off, too.

However, like I mentioned, I have not used the sights. I'm sure they will work fine for center of mass type accuracy at 35 yards, but I don't think it'll have you ringing steel at 100 or 200 yds.

I have the SpectreDR 1.5-6x. I really like it. It's a bit heavy, but the rifle balances very will with it so you can still easily drive your weapon on target. My hunting setup put my weight at 10.5lbs. Other than stock, here's how I ran the SCAR:

-EACH
-Larue rail cover clips
-SpectreDR
-10rd Magazine
-5 rds (1 in chamber 4 in mag)

Weight while carrying is not so bad as I use a Kifaru Gunbearer (Holsters), which I highly recommend. And as I mentioned above, the balance on the weapon is still very nice with the optic mounted.

Hope that helps,

Mojo

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know this is an old thread but rather than create a new one, I'd rather just add updated info.

I checked the torque on the 6 screws that come with the Specter DR 1.5-6 and about 3 of them were loose. I guesstimated the screws need to be torqued to 4-6 in-lb, and since ELCAN uses helicoil inserts for their threaded holes (good decision) they can probably err on the 6 in-lb side. The front BUIS screw was totally loose out of the box. I opted to remove all of the screws (they provide 4 backup screws) and the BUIS, and go with the MRD bracket to mount my Vortex Venom. Everyone on the internet complains about the heft of the ELCAN Specter but mine weighs 732g with the MK 2 ARMS levers, the stock KillFlash and the stock flip covers (Tenebraex covers seem high quality), which is on-par or lighter than your average LVPO. Yes it makes the SCAR feel heavier than needed but it's not as bad as people claim it to be.

BTW the stock SCAR rear BUIS doesn't fit with my ELCAN and flip caps. The rear cap gets jammed on the windage adjusters. I found the Magpul MBUS Pro LR BUIS is slim enough to clear that rear cap and still offers the 600m elevation adjustment, and the MBUS Pro LR is made of melonite finished steel (not polymer). I was thoroughly impressed as it defaults to the smaller rear aperture (you can flip it down for the larger aperture) and the build quality was great. I'm glad I never wasted money on a Matech or KAC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know this is an old thread but rather than create a new one, I'd rather just add updated info.

I checked the torque on the 6 screws that come with the Specter DR 1.5-6 and about 3 of them were loose. I guesstimated the screws need to be torqued to 4-6 in-lb, and since ELCAN uses helicoil inserts for their threaded holes (good decision) they can probably err on the 6 in-lb side. The front BUIS screw was totally loose out of the box. I opted to remove all of the screws (they provide 4 backup screws) and the BUIS, and go with the MRD bracket to mount my Vortex Venom. Everyone on the internet complains about the heft of the ELCAN Specter but mine weighs 732g with the MK 2 ARMS levers, the stock KillFlash and the stock flip covers (Tenebraex covers seem high quality), which is on-par or lighter than your average LVPO. Yes it makes the SCAR feel heavier than needed but it's not as bad as people claim it to be.

BTW the stock SCAR rear BUIS doesn't fit with my ELCAN and flip caps. The rear cap gets jammed on the windage adjusters. I found the Magpul MBUS Pro LR BUIS is slim enough to clear that rear cap and still offers the 600m elevation adjustment, and the MBUS Pro LR is made of melonite finished steel (not polymer). I was thoroughly impressed as it defaults to the smaller rear aperture (you can flip it down for the larger aperture) and the build quality was great. I'm glad I never wasted money on a Matech or KAC.
My flip covers work fine with the stock SCAR BUIS. The rear position of my Elcan is set at/covering position 8 on the rail. Sounds like yours is further back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
My flip covers work fine with the stock SCAR BUIS. The rear position of my Elcan is set at/covering position 8 on the rail. Sounds like yours is further back?

My ELCAN 1.5-6 crossbar is over slot 13. I see most people running their 1-4 where the rear eyepiece is right at the edge of the rail. Since I run my stock fully collapsed, the eye relief works out with the scope closer to the muzzle than the rear of the rail. So the SCAR BUIS wouldn't work with the flip covers in my case.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My ELCAN 1.5-6 crossbar is over slot 13. I see most people running their 1-4 where the rear eyepiece is right at the edge of the rail. Since I run my stock fully collapsed, the eye relief works out with the scope closer to the muzzle than the rear of the rail. So the SCAR BUIS wouldn't work with the flip covers in my case.
I’m also running mine fully collapsed. This is my first rifle so, the way I have it set up could be totally wrong. But, I think I have good eye relief. But, my eyesight also isn’t 20/20 these days. So, maybe I just have it close to my eye. But, I get what you’re saying.

I tried moving my 1.5/6 back one slot, but then I couldn’t close the flip cover. Also, I was having trouble on 1.5 with eye relief, but 6 was perfect. Besides the flip cover not closing, I also couldn’t engage the rear BUIS, which I’d like to always have access to use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have my Vortex Venom on top of the ELCAN so I don’t need the actual iron sights but it’s good to have in a pinch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the recoil lug on my 1.5-6 ELCAN set over the #13 slot on my SCAR 16S. Stock is fully collapsed. The ELCAN fits just over the Magpul Pro LR rear sight. Anything else with a huge windage knob would get in the way. I don't get how people are running their stocks fully extended but everyone's built differently I guess.

The only issue I have with the ELCAN is the reticle appears fuzzy at 100 yards. There doesn't seem to be a diopter setting. I normally crank the diopter all the way down on my rifle scopes (Vortex Razor, Trijicon Credo, etc...) in order for the reticle to appear sharp. The ELCAN is workable if I focus on the reticle but otherwise it's somewhat fuzzy when I focus on distant targets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts