FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mostly decided on an Elcan for my 17. I was looking at the LPVO route such as the Razor 1-10x Gen III or a used ATACR but I'd mostly be shooting 100 yards or less. Occasionally I'd get it out to 300yds at one of the ranges. I'm thinking of the 1-4x since I'd be using the 1x setting most of the time. Does anyone who went with the 1-4x regretted not going with the 1.5-6? My only only hangup with the 1.5-6 is that there is no true 1x setting. I'm not sure how I'd like only having a 1.5x. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
1-4 is perfectly fine for your shooting and quite frankly out to 500-600m...but it comes down to what do you want from your SCAR... BR, SDMR or DMR...

BR: Elcan 1-4 or EOtech/AP with Magnifier
SDMR: 1.5/6 Elcan, LPVO up to 8X ... even an Elcan 1/3/9
DMR: Compact Rifle Scopes under 12"

For example my Leupold ECOS-O I am putting together for my SCAR17 is about 31 oz ... not much more than high-end LPVOs with a mount...only 1" longer...but gives me essentially a 1-18X capability...

If I were to pick an Elcan for my needs...it would be the 1.5/6 with a T1 or RMR up top...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the 1.5-6 and I can engage targets out to 600 yards with it. For me the 4X magnification just isn't enough. The 1.5x is great for the up close situations with the red dot on. You don't get dizzy even with both eyes open, I have no issue with the additional .5x magnification as compared to a straight 1x red dot. I would go with the 1.5-6 gives you more range .

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
If I was to buy another ....I would go with the 1.5-6 but lets be honest.... the 1-4 is rock solid and it's really the "shooter" whom makes or breaks the shot placement. There is a fairly big difference in price for the end user ( being us ). Unless there is some Raytheon employee buddy whom can get you his deal on the 1.5-6 ???? The average enthusiast has to pay a handsome price for the more powerful unit.
JIMO

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. From my research it seems to be a $300 increase to go to the 1.5-6x version which is why I asked. Granted it's $300 but when you're already spending $1699 for the 1-4, it's not that huge of a price increase. The issue now is finding the FDE in stock. Looks like a few places will have more in September. There are some vendors with stock now, but the pricing is a bit high from what I've seen. I'll keep looking around and hopefully find one soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the 1.5-6 and I can engage targets out to 600 yards with it. For me the 4X magnification just isn't enough. The 1.5x is great for the up close situations with the red dot on. You don't get dizzy even with both eyes open, I have no issue with the additional .5x magnification as compared to a straight 1x red dot. I would go with the 1.5-6 gives you more range .
I pretty much agree here. I can use mine at 1.5X for running/gunning with my 17S inside of 25yds with no issue. I think you would regret not getting the 6x. I've shot mine out to 500m and could probably push it to 600m. For the Tavor 7 that I recently bought, I purposely put the 1x/4x model on it, as it's a less accurate rifle that I really only wanted for use inside 300m. Plus the 6x model looks too bulky for a bullpup. I bought both of them from Kerif Night Vision. He offers Mil & LE discounts and may offer FN Forum member discounts too.

Reactions: amill08

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am pretty pleased with the 1.5-6x, with the red dot on - it is very quick for me to bring up and engage close targets. 6x makes it easy further out. Works great for my applications.
Another vote for Kerif Night vision - great guy to deal with, ships fast and is honest and friendly.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try going to the Elcan website direct, they had a sale a while back and no one was able to beat their prices. They have contacts on their site, and if anyone can get you one, it would be the manufacturer themselves. Elcan will take you to Raytheon , they have sales contacts on their website.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You mean the Raytheon website?

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is a link to sales on the Raytheon website, but a while back they were selling their optics on a website run by them. They had some heck of a good deals. They were discounting them pretty heavy. That was pre-covid, pre-Antifa. Now everything 2A related has jumped in price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone tried calling any of the sales contacts on the Raytheon website. I'm wondering if they do single sales of Elcans to civilians?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I purchase my FDE Elcan Specter DR 1.5x-6x several years ago during ShotShow 2019 from Ken Frank ((702) 324-6463) over at Kerif Night vision while he was having a sale on the 1.5x-6x. It was priced at $1970 with free shipping & it included a free gratis 4 MOA XOPTEK Micro Reflex Sight. The combination works great on my SCAR 17 13" barreled SBR. I just purchased a like new Leupold Mark 4 ER/T M5-A 6.5-20x50mm, Horus H-27 reticle, 34mm tube & ARC rings to use when I swap out the 13" barrel for the 20" barrel. I figure I'm all set now...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just placed an order for the last FDE 1.5x-6x Elcan from Ken @ Kerif Night Vision. Should be here next week. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ken is a good guy. He's my go to for Elcan and Steiner.
I originally thought about the FDE Elcan, but decided that Black would go with anything.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just placed an order for the last FDE 1.5x-6x Elcan from Ken @ Kerif Night Vision. Should be here next week. Thanks for the input everyone!
Congtatulations! Quite the piece of equipment on its way. Still a ways out on my own wishlist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ken is a good guy. He's my go to for Elcan and Steiner.
I originally thought about the FDE Elcan, but decided that Black would go with anything.
He was quite nice on the phone. I did mention the forum as well so I got something extra coming my way. I figured I'd go FDE since this will be the only gun I'll use the optic on and I might as well add a 23rd shade of FDE.

·
Registered
49 Posts
He was quite nice on the phone. I did mention the forum as well so I got something extra coming my way. I figured I'd go FDE since this will be the only gun I'll use the optic on and I might as well add a 23rd shade of FDE.
Congrats! You will love the Elcan on the 17.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats! You will love the Elcan on the 17.
Thanks. One thing I'm nervous about is the eye relief. I didn't have a chance to check one out in person so I'm rolling the dice on it. Some reviews say it's fine, others say it's tight. The manual says it's 2.75" which I'm fine with, but is it tighter when running at 6x? I run red dots or eotechs on everything I have so I'm not used to dealing with eye relief. I do have one LPVO, a Vortex Viper PST gen ii which is 1-6x and the eye relief on that is 3.8 inches, but that gets a little bit of scope shadow when running at 6x unless you're pretty centered on it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts