FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with any of the Elcan scopes?
Thinking of picking up an ELCAN Specter OS3.4x Rifle Scope. It is tritium powered, has a Magnification of 3.4x, and has BUIS.

Just curious if anyone out there has any experience with them.
Thinking of getting one for an FS2000.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I know about Elcan on an intimate basis, as I've had to repair a few. Also check out my FS mounted Elcan in the photo section.

It's tough as nails and battle proven and can be removed in seconds without loosing zero(if you have the right Elcan mount). One I repaired had a cracked detachable mount....it had cracked due to being dropped out of a moving vehicle and ran over by the one behind it...scope OK- mount replaced! Like I said tough!

The M145 you have pictured is a civilian model.....no IR blocking lens, no anti reflection screen, the mount is not the ratcheting QD, and the reticle is not illuminated(except possibly tritium).

By the way, the tritium illumination is NOT the way to go..battery powered diode is! On the civilian side of the street Radio Shack stocks the batteries for $1.75.

What specifically did you want to know?

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
texfed said:
What specifically did you want to know?
I think you just answered my questions. Thanks!
I just wanted to know if it was worth the money.

Which models would you suggest then?

·
Banned
83 Posts
without a doubt the M 145...........Don't be fooled by ebay, I saw a chinese counterfit for a hundred, looks identical and they call it an Elcan...it should be called garbage can!

I plan on aquiring a Specter IR soon, I love thermal!

·
Registered
225 Posts
we have them mounted on all our machine guns(M249s & M240Bs) they are good scopes but they are bulky and heavy. make sure you get the correct reticule too!

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shame on you Shipwreck. You watch Stargate and you've never looked into a Elcan? :NO: :-D :lol: :x

·
Banned
83 Posts
:grin: Everyones right...The Elcan IS bulky., and it's been used for a while on the 249 and M60 as a matter of fact it is included in the FM for a 249 with it's own section, since it is issue.
It's also used with a cross hair reticle on the M4.
One thing that makes it tough is that the stadia is engraved on the internal lens and it is non movable..the entire scope body is moved to sight in!
The Elcan goes for around $1200 new!
Now with so many of them in the military, there are used ones around all you have to do is keep looking.
One other thing, the stadia on the machine gun model has a drop compensator for .223....problem is the base line (top shelf or cross junction) is rated for 300 meters and the various lower junction go out further. Now the good news If you sight the top for 100 yards and then do a few practice shots at 200 and 300, you'll find that you will have stadia that will hit those distances. Once you got that figured ......having some kind of drop comp is better than none at all.
I know...I've done it!
Lastly.....Elcan delears can be found on the Elcan website, and their(ELCAN) site is pretty interesting!
If you need a few small parts, once you get one, I can help you out for nothing but postage.....This favor is only open to posting forum members!
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The M145 you have pictured is a civilian model.....no IR blocking lens, no anti reflection screen, the mount is not the ratcheting QD, and the reticle is not illuminated(except possibly tritium).
Actually the Elcan pictured is a 4th generation C79 ELCAN - Standard Canadian Forces issue for the C7A1 Service Rifle & C9 LMG.
The weak link is not the scopes themselves (which are excellent) but the mounts (which were generally regarded as dog ****e prior to the 4th gen., and the 4th gen. is regarded as 'decent' -but still hit and miss.)
I've owned a couple that worked well for general range use, but have served with more than a few that would not hold zero under light to moderately rough field conditions. It would be low down on my list of combat optics, and would not depend my life to one.

dubdubdub.elcan.com/ELCAN_Business_Areas/Sighting_Systems/Products/Day_Sights/SpecterOS34x.php

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you taken a look at the Elcan Specter-DR ?? I have decided to replace my TA-01 Acog with one and have had mine order for about 4 months now, It will be in around December. I've seen two for sale over at ARF.com. Though it's a little more expensive than the M145 and OS3.4, It's less bulky and has the ability to switch from 1X to 4X and has a battery operated LED, hence no tritium replenishment issues.

·
Banned
83 Posts
8) The early ones had a zero problem on the M60 for sure...and did a little better on the saw.

The current crop on the M4 are no problem, but they ARE bulky. For house clearing they are not the way to go!

Tritium is not a safety issue....it's a longevity and brightness issue. Illuminated reticles either way always made me laugh......unless you have IR or thermal...after dusk a lighted reticle is worthless.....you can't see the target, but you can see the reticle :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard of zero loss on the Specter DR just switching it from magnified to non-magnified, but have no proof to back that up.
They are now on a number of revisions however...

Tritium is excellent for dusk/dawn and bright moonlit nights, and there is no question the Elcan's low light gathering abilities are superb.

Keep in mind, if you are running IR there is a good chance your opposite number has the ability to see you too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my Thoughts,

I really dont think i would put a Elcan on a FS2000. I would really consider a Eotech. Thats unless quick aqusition is not what your after, but longer shots are what your going for, because you do have the choice of both with the FS2000. I absolutely do love mine, I havent had it long, but the rifle is made for a scope of some type, those iron sites are backup sites and thats all. The first time I fired it it was right as dusk and I know 50 yards is not very far, but it was getting dark. I pilled a yellow small ronson zippo lighter fluid container on top of a couple of things I had stacked up and used the iron sites. Free standing right at 50 yards maybe more and the 2nd shot knocked the Ronson lighter fuel off, I spent about about 15 to 20 more rounds in fairly fast rapid fire figuring it would just be all over the place but to my surprise I could cover ever shot fired up with a quarter. I was surprised and my brother in law, who I respect as a good shot was impressed with my shooting. This coming from a guy I saw drop a deer in a dead run with one round out of a mini 14 at 250 yards. And I am not stretching it. What ever you do with that FS2000 you will be happy, but I own a Elcan (its broke right now, I need the windage adjustment screws) Anybody know where to find them? The whole base runs over $300.00 from Elcan, and I find that just to pricey for a couple of screws. Anyway I have the Eotech also, on a short Colt SP1, close to a M4 so its a short barrel compared to that FS2000, but that FS2000 is built short, Bulpup style and made for CQB. Which is why I prefer the Eotech and you can get good range out of it too, further than a someone firing a AK at you is going to make.[/img]

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Domain1 : Which Elcan do you have? Do you have the Elcan Specter-DR?
I would rather get the Elcan Specter-DR over the eotech because at a flip of a lever, you can go from 1X to 4X magnification. It also has a smaller MOA(0.5 MOA) than the eotech(1 MOA). IMO, for long range and CQB, its the best of both worlds all in one sight.

-----
Elcan 1x/4x SpecterDR Optical Sight

Specifications
Weight (g): 580
Illuminated Dot/Crosshair

Size (mm): 153 x 74 x 78
Eye Relief (mm): 70
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 146.3 - 34.2
Exit Pupil (mm): 8
Basic Information
Fixed Focus Range (m): 20 to infinity
Battery Type: DL 1/3N (3v Lithium)
Battery Life: 600 hours minimum, 3000 hours average
Ballistic Calibration: 100m - 600m for 5.56 carbine, 700 - 1000m for 5.56 LMG
Adjustment Resolution: 0.5 MOA
Adjustment Range: 120 MOA
Base Requirement: Mil-Std-1913 'Picatinny Rail'
Attachment: Mil-Std-1913 'Picatinny Rail'

Environmental (Waterproof): 66 feet for 2 hours min
Environmental (Shockproof): 450 g's

·
Registered
111 Posts
very interesting....

is this a "both eyes open" optic?

what's the average price?

·
Banned
83 Posts
:grin: All the Elcans are standard 'one eye' scopes, and depending on the one you want, prices start at $1000 and go up from there!

The eotech and red dots are for a different use....a scope is mission specific.

I'f I have to used optics....an eotech is for room and small area clearing.....an Elcan is a general purpose sight engineered to work better than standard iron sights.

There really is no comparison between the two types since the intended use is different. It's like comparing a humvee to a duece and a half...can't do it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts