FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully,

Took me a while to get this data. Thought I would pass this data long in the hopes of assisting someone who might also be looking for it. I was able to get the correct ELCAN reticle data for the Specter DR series opics both 1-4x and 1.5-6x.

My hope is to be able to get it added to the strelok ballistics app soon.

I recieved the posted data from the Raytheon rifle sights product manager from ELCAN Optical Technologies

·
Registered
105 Posts
7.62/5.56... Elcan, ACOG, EOTech, Leupold, Hale... One optic to rule them all? My headhurts on an all purpose to drop on ONE of supreme quality since funds are limited. This helps though. Elcan does seem like one of the more popular, ACOG seems like the standard, I love Leupold! Damn choices!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running the Khales 1-6X with SM1 reticle in a 30mm bobro mount right now. So far I really like it as the optic and mount package is a bit lighter than the ELCAN's or Vortex HD GEN II 1-6X.

Getting ready to PCS soon so I have not been able to take the Khales past 200 yards but plan to in June and post feedback on the Forum.

·
Registered
311 Posts
7.62/5.56... Elcan, ACOG, EOTech, Leupold, Hale... One optic to rule them all? My headhurts on an all purpose to drop on ONE of supreme quality since funds are limited. This helps though. Elcan does seem like one of the more popular, ACOG seems like the standard, I love Leupold! Damn choices!!
Pretty sure at the end of the world there will be cockroaches and there will be Elcans. The problem is, the SCAR is almost cheaper than the optic (depending on model chosen). However, when you've run out of ammo, you can beat the enemy to death with the Elcan and not affect your zero! (disclaimer: The previous statement is not based on real world findings.)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - I talked to Igor Borisov who produces the strelok ballistics app. From the samples he sent me it looks like he is finished with the ELCAN 1-4X reticle in 5.56 and 7.62. He is now working the 1.5-6X reticle in 7.62 and will send out a new app update once complete.

More to follow,

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ballistic Calcs are only as good as the information you put into it… garbage in garbage out type of deal.
Get a good 100 yard zero, a good muzzle velocity average for your chosen ammo, plug in your elevation and atmospheric conditions and you are good to go.
I have had excellent luck with mine… generally very close. Reliable enough for how I personally use them.
I like being able to see the estimated drop on my specific scope reticle for initial come ups.
As they say nothing beats actual holes on paper but you can save some time and money if you have a general idea of what you bullets are going to do at distance before you hit the range.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new update came out this morning.

Data is now live on the strelok ballistics app for anyone interested.

·
Registered
674 Posts
isn't this data dependent on the type of ammunition used as well?
What the OP was doing is showing what the corresponding drop values are for the BDC, this will allow you to figure out how close these values are to your load. So no, the type of ammunition you use will not change these values, but the type of ammunition you use will determine how close your loads are to the given values.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts