FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to mount a brand new Elcan SpecterDr 1-4x on the top rail of my 16s. When I try to mount it and secure the levers, the Elcan is very loose!! Has anyone else had this problem? I so wanted this scope to work properly. Has anyone else had a problem mounting their SpecterDr 1-4x on their 16s?

Before I ordered the scope I contacted Armament Technologies (distributor for North America) and they told me the mount should not have any problems mounting onto a SCAR. He told some rails that are not Mil-Spec will have a problem excepting the Arms Mount.

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
I'm trying to mount a brand new Elcan SpecterDr 1-4x on the top rail of my 16s. When I try to mount it and secure the levers, the Elcan is very loose!! Has anyone else had this problem? I so wanted this scope to work properly. Has anyone else had a problem mounting their SpecterDr 1-4x on their 16s?

Before I ordered the scope I contacted Armament Technologies (distributor for North America) and they told me the mount should not have any problems mounting onto a SCAR. He told some rails that are not Mil-Spec will have a problem excepting the Arms Mount.
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hence the problem with ARMS mounts. They are not designed to be adjustable to varying rail sizes without the use of shims.

·
Banned
617 Posts
SCAR rails are most assuredly "mil-spec", as I and many other members have mounted the Elcan without issue. Your problem most likely stems from the ARMS mounts being defective or possibly broken. Also check to make sure the cross bar underneath the mount is intact and engaging the picitinny grooves. Pictures are always useful for helping us to figure things out. Otherwise I would contact AT again for repairs.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I have no problems with my 1-4X holding the Mil Spec rails. If ensuring that the sight is fully engaging down tight on the rails before throwing the levers to the tight position does not work, there must be something wrong with the mounting system, Talk to your dealer and have it fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I mounted the opitic to the rail, it appeared to be on correctly. I'm an LEO and Colt AR-15 armorer certified.....I have not had this problem with our AR-15's at the department before. It might be defective. I attempted to call AT today, but had to leave a message. I will call back tomorrow. I thought I would ask on the forum to see if this is a known issue, or not. On a side note....I am under the impression the 16s is the exact same rifle as the MK16, minus the select fire. I would take pictures, but I'm on duty right now (slow night, if you were wondering). Thanks

·
Registered
25,418 Posts

AN easy way to find out is to grab another unit with a 1913 rail and mount the optic to it. If it exhibits the same issue, then it's most assured that the glass is the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Unless they have changed their policy, I can tell you that they prefer you deal with the dealer where you purchased the sight. They are not (in the past) set up for retail sales. Armament Technologies is a Canadian Company and dealing with the import/export rules in Canada is a real pain. Been there done that. Won't do it again if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After talking with Armament Technologies and FN, the problem seems to be the rail on SCAR. I put the SpecterDr on the FN tactical forend extension and it fit perfectly, no movement. Now I have to deal with the headache of swapping out rifles. Here in Michigan I have to register the SCAR as a pistol because of the folding stock, so I have to go through an FFL Dealer. I wish FN didn't put the serial number on the upper receiver, but oh well. I just thought I would let you guys know what I found out. Also after talking with AT, they are in the process of changing the mounting system for the SpecterDr. I also found out for a small fee ARMS will put an adjustable mount on the SpecterDr if you ship it too them.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
. I just thought I would let you guys know what I found out. Also after talking with AT, they are in the process of changing the mounting system for the SpecterDr. I also found out for a small fee ARMS will put an adjustable mount on the SpecterDr if you ship it too them.
Good to know in case I ever run into this problem with my ELCAN.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
While it is a headache for you to deal with swapping out a rifle, your issue will be resolved. :?

I think one of these days I might drive over to A.R.M.S.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Now I have to deal with the headache of swapping out rifles. Here in Michigan I have to register the SCAR as a pistol because of the folding stock, so I have to go through an FFL Dealer.
Expand on this, please.

I'm reading it like this:

If you have a pistol that is defective and you reside in MI, you send the weapon into the manufacturer under warranty and the manufacturer elects to replace the entire weapon. Does the manufacturer then send the replacement weapon to an FFL holder and you have to fill out another 4473?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Expand on this, please.

I'm reading it like this:

If you have a pistol that is defective and you reside in MI, you send the weapon into the manufacturer under warranty and the manufacturer elects to replace the entire weapon. Does the manufacturer then send the replacement weapon to an FFL holder and you have to fill out another 4473?
Yes that is correct. Because if ur new pistol has a new serial number, it has to be registered. This is a pain for me because I purchased the SCAR through the only LE dealer in the US which is in Kansas. It was worth the effort because it saved me about seven hundred dollars. It would not of been to bad if I would have purchased the rifle locally, it's an easy swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-this would be the route I'd go with.
I did think about doing this, but when you pay 2K for a rifle you expect it to be up to standards (or above)!! I just hope the new one I receive is going to be good to go, or I am going to get a refund and look elsewhere!! I should not have to settle on a subpar product.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
What is preventing you from going to the Local FFL, to have them send it to FNH, to have them take care of you???

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Yes that is correct. Because if ur new pistol has a new serial number, it has to be registered. This is a pain for me because I purchased the SCAR through the only LE dealer in the US which is in Kansas. It was worth the effort because it saved me about seven hundred dollars. It would not of been to bad if I would have purchased the rifle locally, it's an easy swap.

First things first:

1) Call FNH USA repair in Arnold MO. and explain you want them to check the weapon.

2) Call the dealer that did the transfer in MI. and explain that he'll be booking in the weapon from you and sending it to Arnold on your behalf.

3) The weapon is repaired/replaced and shipped back to your local FFL.

4) You're tired of the hoops you had to jump through but you're happy the issue was resolved.

One question: Do you have a set of high quality dial calipers?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts