FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this animal in the wild, would a call to Kerif be in order? I've added this to my optics short list for my upcoming SCAR 16s. I'm not too partial to optics requiring batteries and this satisfies that concern.

View attachment 22926

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I wonder if these will be 2k+...

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd really like to locate one, I left an email with Kerif regarding price and availability. And I agree, not having batteries is a plus, I owned an ACOG (4x32 BAC) in the past and it was an outstanding optic, what I hear about the optical clarity of Specter's is pretty amazing and the alleged issues with the A.R.M.S. wouldn't apply to me, once it's mounted it'll stay there.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
...and the alleged issues with the A.R.M.S. wouldn't apply to me, once it's mounted it'll stay there.
A.R.M.S did make an upgrade for the levers that were snapping, but I'm not sure if we will need them or how many were even snapping.
-most of us keep optics on for a while.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly what I'm thinking too...

I'm not sure if we will need them or how many were even snapping.
-most of us keep optics on for a while.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The downloadable catalog still shows the TFO SpecterDR-t but with a 2013 date, I hope it does come to market. One would think at a lower price sans all the electronics for battery operation.

'Looks interesting, SeaMac.
Tritium/trijicon qualities are desired these days.
Good find.

2014 has surprises.

I'm interested in following this thread.
For the long rang guys, this 5-20x OZ from Elcan is heavy but looks solid.

Raytheon ELCAN Optical Technologies: NEW Specter™ Sights by ELCAN

View attachment 22927 View attachment 22928

View attachment 22930 View attachment 22931

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
They are easy to install. I upgraded mine myself. I just don't like the fact that the little wheels are made out of plastic. I'm not sure what makes these more sturdy. I just thought that the change was to allow the mount to be tightened more snug. I thought some people had some play in the mount with varying and "out of spec" rails?
Milspec, is the ARMS/Elcan mount "easily" adjustable to loosen or tighten to the 1913 rail?

After I fetch the 16s and 17s from the tragic boating accident, wink, I can tell you for sure that the 17s and 16s have a differentiation in rail specs.
That is why I ditched the Larue mount for the H-1 Micro Aimpoint.
It needed a tool and I hated that.

The ADM made it a breeze, a quick finger squeeze and 5-10 seconds to mount the H-1 Micro on the 17s, then to the 16s.

I did not think of this rail tightening mount design question concerning the ARMS mount yet, and should have, before funding an Elcan.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Yes, it adjusts very easily. You spin the little wheel (if I remember right) to adjust the rail tension. When you turn the tiny knob on the end of the arm it projects a needle that locks into the indentations on the wheel. Then you fold the arms in to secure it just like you normally would.

I bought the upgrade kit directly from A.R.M.S. and I think that it was $20.00 something dollars with shipping. A.R.M.S offers or suggests that you send your Elcan to them and they will do it. After seeing somebody post the install process here on the forum I felt pretty confident that I could handle it. Just take your time!

The instructions are reasonable, you just have to stack up the washers correctly when you put it back together. As long as you follow this and are decent with a punch and hammer you're all set.

On the Micro's I like the Daniel Defense mount, no worries with rail dimensions there. A lot of people don't like it because it doesn't have a QD but I run permanent co witness so it isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I may have to order all of these and pick the ONE (the hard part) I like and send the rest back since there is no place I have found physically holding any of the ELCAN line in stock. 1x3x9x doesn't come out for a while so it looks like patience game is in full effect. :th_shrug:

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: Just spoke w/Ken at Kerif he has forwarded my inquiry to Elcan regarding the SpecterDR-t Tritium Fibre Optic Sight and should know something in a few days.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: What follows is the response from ELCAN, obviously we need to take action if we want one because I, simply cannot afford 10,000 of them.

Sir,

Here is ELCAN’s response to your question.

Thanks for the heads up… your customer got his hands on a marketing handout.

You can have it but the minimum order is 10,000pcs. J

So, no it doesn’t exist but I’m sure if SOCOM all of a sudden decided to pick this up my answer would be a bit different.

Sorry for the confusion this might have caused… it’s not something that is available at this time.

I think what happened is they put out these “feelers” out to gauge the interest and if there was a sufficient response, they would get a production run going. Sorry it isn’t available, but I’ll put your name down if they decide to offer them in the future.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Ken Frank

KERIF Night Vision

(702) 324-6463

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am sad, but happy I don't have to add this option to my decision making process.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sad too, although this makes my decision making process easier since I will choose the Trijicon ACOG 4x32 BAC an optic I have owned before.

I am sad, but happy I don't have to add this option to my decision making process.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Back when batteries only lasted a few hours, Tritium sights made more sense. My Aimpoint batteries last 50,000 hours so it is left on at all times. My Elcan also has long battery life and is bright enough in daylight to not absolutely need the illuminated red dot. Add to this tritiums usable life of ten years and expensive replacement makes it less appealing now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts