FN Herstal Firearms banner

If you were in the market for a 1911 style 3" 9mm...

• EMP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CDP

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the way these look. And even though I am pretty hooked on DA/SA actions, I am considering getting one of these. Is there another option with the same general looks and specs?

*Let me add here* These are both 9mm's. This is pretty much about which one do you think will be the most reliable and company supported.

Kimbers new Ultra CDP II 9mm.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/ultra_cdp_II/157/

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can't argue aesthetics with people, but I recommend you avoid sub 4" barrel 1911 platforms chambered in .45 ACP. -As a group, they can be temperamental. By chopping the design so severely, the mass and speed of the slide are affected and that can impact on the reliability of the firearm's operation. Additionally, the short barrel causes the .45 ACP round to lose a lot of its speed and power.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't like that look? They are both 9mm's. I wouldn't want a 3" 45acp. But there are lots of short 9's.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I voted for the Kimber - I like the EMP, and prefer the 9mm - but those damn cheap Novak night sights that Springfield uses suck. No white circle - that silver circle around the triotium SUCKS at an indoor range.

I had a TRP once, and I finally painted the damn night sights white. Back then, I wished for someone to creat what Nitesiters now sells.

So - get nitesiters, and get the EMP I suppose!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I didn't vote for either cuz I have a 1911 3 inch Colt Defender .45 ACP and wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kill Joy... :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
You don't like that look?
Well, it's not so much the look as the general proposition of a chopped down 1911. -If you want a concealable, smaller caliber 1911 type firearm, you might as well get a Colt Mustang which is a solid, little pocket pistol.

That said, if I had to choose, I'd vote for the Springfield. I think they build a better gun for the price and provide excellent warranty service. -I have had two Kimber 1911's, and I do not want a third. I know many people like Kimber pistols, but I do not.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the Kimber 1911's in .45 have a different kind of firing pin block to guard against drop fire accidents. I do not know if the 9mm variant has this but I expect that it would. The important thing to note is that if you assemble the pistol with the frame upside down, a pin will slide into place and you can sheer it off when you put the slide back on the pistol. I have never made that mistake, but I have read posts from people who have because they did not read the manual which warns the owner about this feature. -If you damage or sheer off the pin, the gun will not work.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the info. I have not had a chance to field strip either one, but from what I have read, they are not chopped down 45's, they are made from scratch to be 9mm's. So, I guess I need to get my mits on one and find out the design changes. Right now I think I'm leaning toward the EMP. I can appreciate the melted slide on the Kimber, but I don't see it being that much of an advantage... the EMP's lines look better. I'll wait for some range reports to appear on the Kimber before I decide though.

I would like to see this with a stainless slide, wood grips, and black frame, in 9mm. Bobbed hammer, no sights, no beavertail. :shock: That would be a sweet looking carry gun.

·
Registered
412 Posts
TA I vote for the EMP!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know yet. I'm gonna wait a while I think. I really need to have the Sistemas coated/blued, complete the second PS90 and SBR it, replace the trigger in the FAL, finish up the AR's, learn to duracoat, fix the stock on the Chi SKS... then maybe by that time I'll know which one to get. :-?

·
Banned
151 Posts
My vote goes to the Kimber. I've had several Colts and one Springfield and now the Kimber and it has been the best for me. Never had one of the small ones, though I had a Detonics Combat Master that was a sweet shooting compact.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Hey, TA - if ya come up to shoot next weekend - my local range now has an EMP to rent. Last time I went, I asked what their 2 newest guns to rent were - EMP and a HK P30....

I am afraid to rent the P30 until next year, when I have some $$$.

I don't want to get obsessed about another gun again (that I can't afford) :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts