FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im kinda bored... and im looking for a new project that wont break the bank and i come with an idea. why not try to take an old enfield, modernize it, and try and make a sniper rifle out of it. anyoe ever tried this before?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I knew an old guy years ago who had a really nice gun collection that included a couple of British Lee Enfield 303 rifles. They were fun to shoot, powerful and accurate. Back in the day, we use to a go to the gun shows and get all kinds of cool military surplus ammo, white and red phosphorus rounds were especially wicket. Sadly, after he passed, his family began to fight over his money and property. I have no idea what ever became of his extensive gun collection.

But anyway, cool project! Good luck and be sure to let us all know how it turns out. :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea, i would love to shoot an enfield but haven't yet :oops: I have known people to do that with mausers ect and they turned out really nicely, do let us know how it goes and pics are always good!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
LOWMANJASON, I have often concidered taking and old military bolt action rifle, design a bullpup stock for it, just so I could tinker with an idea I've had for a trigger that would be smoother on a bullpup guns. I think your Idea would be a fun time killer as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get an ishapore enfield in 7.62 nato...
i like the idea of .308 but, help me understand...
WHY.

.303 is relatively cheap compared to .308 especialy with mach ammo. so what are the advantages?

the .308 versions are more expensive from what ive seen and i am on a budget.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quality .303 is every bit as expensive as decent .308.

There isn't any cheap surplus .303 out there that I would personally shoot.

The Pakistani surplus is crap.

As a general rule of thumb, if the country of origin pisses in it's drinking water, you don't want their ammo.

Also, I'd rather see a nice old No.1 MK.III or No. 4 Mk.I restored rather than chopped up and "modernized".

The Ishapore .308's on the other hand....have at it.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yea, the quality of surplus ammo has really gone down hill. I have noticed this with my 8mm ammo as well as 7.62x54 as well. Very sad indeed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Brits took a number of No. 4 Mk.I Enfields and turned them into L42A1 sniper rifles by converting them to 7.62 NATO, adding a scope, and doing some significant work on the stock.

Here's a member of the British 22nd SAS in the sandbox in the late 70's....probalby Yemen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, my plan is to put a varmint type barrel on it, a modern stock (adjustsible if possible and im not interested in wood), a nice trigger, and a scope rail, and a bipod. remember this is a project gun that is ment to be different not collectible. ive fired the an old enfield .303, not sure on the model but i liked it. it was also about 20 years ago when i was just happy to be able to shoot a gun. i want to build an accurate shooter that can reach 600-800 yards and i want it to be something one of a kind and not cost me 6 bazillion dollars. from what i checked so far, match grade .303 is about $10.00 cheaper per box than .308. dont get me wrong i love the 'ol .308, but i want to be more different. who know i might wind having to go with a .308 version out of necessity but i want to stick with .303 for its uniqueness more than its cost. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
buy a savage 10fp for cheap. even with the crap stock it comes with (entry) it will fulfill your needs. this doesnt really help ammo wise though

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got a few boxes of LC match 7.62 NATO a few months ago for $20/box. You can get new production Privi Partisan 7.62 NATO Match for $15/box from Wideners and a few other places.

I've never seen match 303, just surplus and commercial hunting/soft point rounds.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Butchering a Lee-Enfield is bad form old man.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You should build one of those De Lisle Carbine out of an enfield. That would be cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts