FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my PS90, I have an Eotech 511.A65 installed. Approximately 2 weeks prior to buying both my PS90 and my Eotech, I had the opportunity to look through someone's Eotech mounted on an AR. I was impressed with the device. I liked the way it operated, and it felt very sturdy. I knew I wanted to replace the stock PS90 sight with something, and I figured I had found it.

I liked the tiny 1 MOA center dot with the 65 MOA outer ring, and the reticle was easily visible (with its adjustable brightness setting). Also, the price of the Eotechs are really nice, compared to the prices of other similar devices (ACOGs and Aimpoints).

I ordered my Eotech from Top Gun Supply in early December, and I received it a few days later. I chose the "N" battery version because it was smaller, and the optic rail lenth on a PS90 is not very long to begin with. Also, while everyone is obsessed with battery time, the "N" battery Eotech's battery life of 200 hours is more than adequate. Add up how much time you would typically use in 1 year's time (remember the cost of the 5.7x28mm ammo and how much you will actually shoot). I plan to replace the battery every 12 months, just to be safe. But I imagine that I could get at least 3 years out of the battery life if I wanted. And, a pair of "N" batteries is approximately $3.

When I turned it on for the first time, however, I found that the lighted reticle was fuzzy, and not as clear as the one I had previous looked through. I did some research on-line that night, and I discovered a few things... One, you must have good vision at a distance to accurately use an Eotech because the hologram reticle is projected to infinity. I do have a stronger pair of glasses I wear when I am shooting, but seldom any other time (because I get a headache with them - that is an entire story unto itself). Well, once I changed glasses, that helped clear up the image a bit.

Two - the next day, when looking through the Eotech view window outside, I also discovered that the reticle tends to clear up if you look through it at something further away than 1 rooms distance. And finally, one should resist the urge to look at the reticle itself, and to look past it and at the actual target you are trying to view.

Once I was outside the following day and had a chance to play with it, it looked like the one I remembered the week before on the AR I had shot.

Once I got it mounted on my PS90 a couple of weeks later, and made it to my first range trip, I was in love. I had used a laser bore sighter to approximate the adjustments on the Eotech. And at the range, I was only a few inches off. Once I got it zeroed in completely, I was able to enjoy it.

I zeroed in My Eotech at 50 yards - typically the best distance to zero at for a PS90. With the 1 MOA center dot, I have been able to get groups of 1/2 inch to 1 inch with my PS90. And, the main factor for the groups is the heavy PS90 trigger - not the Eotech.

I like my Eotech enough to buy another one after I get an AR15 later this year. It is very sturdy and protected from bumps with its metal cage. And, at distances longer than 25 yards, comparable devices with larger MOA reticles start to cover too much of the target, and it is harder to get good groups at long distances. The center dot on the Eotech reticle is about as small as one can get.

I definitely recommend an Eotech to anyone who wants a non-magnified optic. Make sure to get "revision F" if you buy one, however. It has the latest internal upgrades to the circuitry. Revision F will have a small "F" notated on the bottom of the left side metal housing.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to revisit this - as I have said on other threads - The EOtech rocks! No regrets, and it is my fav aftermarket sight that I have seen!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you think you'll have enough room to mount the Eotech 4X magnifier behind your 511?

From the Samson QF mount specs for the magnifier, it requires about 1.6" worth of rail space.

Comments on a 552/4X magnifier combo?

TIA,
Richard

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I believe it would fit - although, at the cost, I have no plans to buy one.

But, Critical Dimensions, if I remember correctly, sells a top rail that sticks out the back just a little bit longer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you think the magnifier will fit without the addition of the extension on the PS90 TR?

ShipWreck said:
Yes, I believe it would fit - although, at the cost, I have no plans to buy one.

But, Critical Dimensions, if I remember correctly, sells a top rail that sticks out the back just a little bit longer.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seattlite said:
Do you think the magnifier will fit without the addition of the extension on the PS90 TR?

ShipWreck said:

Oh, on a triple rail, U couldn't do the extension. I was thinking of a setup like I have - a standard model with a purchased optic rail.

I don't have a TR, so I can't answer that. I am not sure of the length compared to aftermarket rails.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, you have the non-TR PS90. I thought you had the TR. Apologies.

ShipWreck said:
seattlite said:

ShipWreck said:

Oh, on a triple rail, U couldn't do the extension. I was thinking of a setup like I have - a standard model with a purchased optic rail.

I don't have a TR, so I can't answer that. I am not sure of the length compared to aftermarket rails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts