FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any pros or cons to speak of ? on this peice of equipment i looking to mount it to my TR....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet thanks

that was a good read !

·
Registered
93 Posts
So, the Eotech's look really nice and high quality. For those of us that really afford that type of price though, do you know of something similar but at a lower price?

FM

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, the eotech is really cheap compared to other similar optics, really.

But, Eotech makes a similar model for Bushnell. It is the same as the eotech w/o the metal hood around it. Be aware that it is really easy to bang the optic by accident (I did 1 time), and w/o that metal hood of the eotech, it could break.

This particular Bushnell (there are different optics they sell) LOOKS like an EOtech. It's about $80 to $100 cheaper.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
fathermorpheus : Truthfully, if you don't shoot competitively or using the site for duty, you really don't need to shell out $300-$500 on a sight.
If its just a range toy and all that it will ever be, you can get a nice Bushnell or ATN reflex sight for $200 or under. They will work just fine and most of them come with a rubber sight cover for when not in use to prevent damage.
If its going to be your only sight and you plan to move it around to other guns then by all means spend the extra $ for a good sight.

I personally keep my $$$$ sights for my HD/SHTF guns and use cheaper sights for my range toys because I don't move around my sights.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, I like that 1 MOA dot that is on the eotech. I think its much nicer at 50 yards and out compared to a larger 4 MOA red dot...

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
They are great sights, I got one but I have grown to like tritium sights better. I have several HD/SHFT guns and switch over to tritium sights for them incase of battery failure.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will look into one for my next TR :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any part numbers they would recommend by any chance?

FM

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Eotech 512 is the same as the 552 but minus the NV capability and substantially cheaper (I got mine for $300 NIB last year). On the TR the Eotech can block usage of the siderails. HTH...
Tomac

ETA: Here's something I've been playing w/recently that isn't 100% dependent upon batteries and is reasonably priced ($200), the PK-AS-W:

Same type of circle/dot reticle setup as the Eotech but it's etched and still visible in case of battery failure (even when using a taclight at night):

Being a Russian military design (the PKS-01, based on their urban combat experiences in Chechnya) it's extremely rugged & KISS but also heavy (14oz) and sits very high (great chinweld w/the dual mag clamp setup, though). However, it has a quick-adjust elevation wheel (30moa in 2moa increments) and superb SA/FOV w/the outer ring all but ghosting away entirely when in use. The red dot uses a variable setting rotary switch that can be set to go from off to minimum brightness or off to max brightness. It's actually a 1x lensed optic so eye relief is something to be aware of but I had no problem achieving the correct distance on my PS90's.

Tomac

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Nice setup, Tomac :)

fathermorpheus said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any part numbers they would recommend by any chance?

FM
EOTech 511.A65 Revision F

That is the N Battery version - Revision "F" is the newest upgraded Eotechs. So, no mater which model U get, get the Revision "f"

·
Registered
569 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Nice setup, Tomac :)
fathermorpheus said:
FM
EOTech 511.A65 Revision F
That is the N Battery version - Revision "F" is the newest upgraded Eotechs. So, no mater which model U get, get the Revision "f"
Thx! And +1 on the Rev.F, that will get you appx 1,100hrs of battery runtime on the 552.A65 or 512.A65 w/a fresh set of lithium AA's (less w/rechargeables).
Tomac

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks cool man You got me thinking maybe i will put the eotech on one of the ar's

·
Registered
569 Posts
abpt1 said:
That looks cool man You got me thinking maybe i will put the eotech on one of the ar's
Here's where I bought the PK-AS-w's: http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pkasw.html , I've done business w/Doug for years and he has unsurpassed customer service. Drop him an email and he'll send you a price list of everything he's got or just mention what you're interested in specifically for a specific price quote, tell him "Tomac sent you". Biggest downside to the PK-AS-W, IMHO, is how high it sits (which isn't a problem if you use the dual mag clamp setup or don't care about chinweld). It's also a pain to initially sight in the elevation but, hey, you only have to do it once. HTH, let me know if you have any questions...
Tomac

1 - 15 of 15 Posts