FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my modded Eotechs yesterday and must say I'm very pleased with the results, looking as professional as one can expect w/o coming off an assembly line. It adds nothing to weight or bulk and doesn't obstruct FOV as well. With no moving parts it's as KISS as you can get and nothing appears to be located where it would be prone to damage. I added the detachable velcro myself to provide protection for the solar panel when desired and to allow use of std non-rechargeable batteries (currently using a double strip as the cover as the velcro I have on-hand isn't wide enough to cover the width of the panel w/a single strip, I'll pick up something wider in the near future). Is this mod a "must have!" for Eotech AA owners? I think that depends upon your planned use but it suits my needs *very* well. Thumbs up!...
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THat is sweet. I guess it doesn't work with the N Battery version, right?
There are supposed to be rechargeable N batteries available now and he mentioned he'd be willing to do the mod as long as yours isn't one of the notorious N-battery eaters (he understandably doesn't want to be blamed for an Eotech problem).
Tomac

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Well, I'm still trying to get a handle on how long my N Batteries last. The ones that came with my Eotech in Dec died in March. I MIGHT have had 25 hours on them tops.

The next set went from March until yesterday. I was out at the range with the Eotech on about 5 hours Thur. When I got home and turned it on, I saw the reticle blinking - meaning that it was time to change the batteries, so I did. I don't know how long I used them total - maybe 25 hours.

But, I'll bet the N batteries are being drained even with the unit off. If I left the thing on continuously (it shuts down after a while, so I'd have to keep turning it on), I'll bet I COULD get a lot of time out of them at 1 time.

Anyway - I keep 2 extra sets of them in my riflebag. And, since I got a 2nd one for the CX4 Storm I am buying soon, I will get 2 more extra sets (for a total of 4).

Not too thrilled with the battery life. But hell - the Bushnell clone of the 511 Eotech only has a listed 40 hour battery life. I'd hate to see what you REALLY get out of that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do all the Eotech's still lack a physical on/off switch? That was one reason I haven't bought one.
Pressing either of the brightness control buttons turns the unit on for 4 or 8 hrs depending upon which button you press and as Shipwreck mentioned earlier, pressing both simultaneously turns the unit off.
Tomac

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Thanx for the pics and info Tomac. What was your turn around time? He mentions that a kit may be available for home install, after seeing yours do you think the install would be difficult?

Thanx

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for the pics and info Tomac. What was your turn around time? He mentions that a kit may be available for home install, after seeing yours do you think the install would be difficult?
Thanx
You're welcome! Total turnaround time was right about 2 weeks. Basically, it doesn't look that difficult for a DIY job *if* you're comfortable doing the battery contact work (which I am not, not if I want to be sure of preserving the watertight integrity of the battery compartment). However, if he is willing to do a DIY kit then it can't be *that* difficult, right?
Tomac

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't envision a photovoltaic array of that size producing enough power to charge 2 AA cells completely within a 3 to 4 hour period.

What is the charge rate, the output voltage, and output amperage measured at the battery interface?

The idea is commendable, but as a former infantryman, I wouldn't want reflective solar cells on the top of my weapon.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't envision a photovoltaic array of that size producing enough power to charge 2 AA cells completely within a 3 to 4 hour period.
What is the charge rate, the output voltage, and output amperage measured at the battery interface?
The idea is commendable, but as a former infantryman, I wouldn't want reflective solar cells on the top of my weapon.
If you read through the original link posted earlier you'd see it's a trickle charger. It's not meant to fully charge the batteries in 3-4 hrs, rather it will constantly top off the batteries at double the max draw rate of the Eotech.
Output voltage on a sunny day is 4.1v, anything over 2.5v will charge the batteries. 3-4 hrs on a sunny day will charge fully drained batteries enough to use the Eotech. For more detailed operating specs you'll need to contact the person doing the mods.
I'm not worried about reflections because due to the angle of the cells my own testing shows it would take a very unusual set of circumstances for light reflecting off the cells to be visible to an observer.
Tomac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts