• ELCAN 1-4x

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be considered a better sight for a SCAR 16S SBR SHTF Carbine? A EOTech EXPS3-0 or a ELCAN 1-4X? I plan on having a 10 inch barrel so that the 16S can excel in CQB environments and I will be adding a Surefire SOCOM RC2 suppressor. What are your thoughts and why?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an Elcan 1.5-6 on my 17 so I am a fan of the Elcan sights, but I think for you intended application the EO Tech would be a better choice. Now if you're looking for longer than CQB than the Elcan would fit dual role better.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have both, the Elcan is the more versatile of the two. The Eotech shines if you're aiming passively through the optic with head mounted night vision, otherwise the Elcan gets my vote.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I choose the Elcan and it’s AWESOME. Functionality, accuracy and practicality matches the intended purpose of the weapon system perfectly. FB104926-9ECD-4D56-8DAE-0E235255EAF2.jpg

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
For SHTF? Something that will be useful without batteries. If you have to have an illuminated dot get an Aimpoint H2 or similar. And a couple batteries. That’ll last you 10 years and you can trade some zombie spleens for another.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 1-4x Specter DR on one of my 16s and a 1.5-6x on a 17. Not cheap, but one of the best optics you can get. They are extremely rugged and don’t need batteries.

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 for the Elcan although I loved the reticle on my Eotech and how it looked to my eyes. But battery life was a no go for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I mounted an EXPS2-0 (w/ G33 magnifier when needed) on my 13” 17S. My reasoning was to keep this rifle as light as possible for up to 200yd shots. My 16” 17S has an Elcan 1.5-6x for up to 600yds.

I would do the same for a 16S... EXPS3 for SBR and Elcan 1-4x for longer shots.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Both have strengths and major weaknesses. I've personally pre-order the Vortex 1-10x MRAD.

EXPS is great without magnification especially for anything dynamic or shooting around/under barriers. The magnification would be great if you didn't have put your face right in it.

Elcan is great but eye relief of 2.75 also sucks especially if you are a tall person that needs the stock extended to position 4-6. Given that it cannot extend very far back if you keep the rear sight, that means that you have to collapse the stock almost all the way which impairs proper stock length and head position. That said, the eye box is excellent if you like having your face right up against your rear sights.
I hate nose up against rear sight shooting.

All that said, an LPVO with a top notch eye box is my preference for the 17 or if your eyes are good, red dot/eotech with no magnifier.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
The elcan is the better optic especially when batteries are a factor.

Reactions: byoung

·
Registered
272 Posts
The elcan is the better optic especially when batteries are a factor.
Agree that Elcan is a better optic. However, I will take a lessor optic if it means I can extend the stock to the proper length to support head position among other things. After many years of spending and testing, I now only pick Optics that don’t make me compromise technique. Proper stock length, especially for me, made things more repeatable especially when snapping a rifle into position while in motion.

Another reason I’ll never own an ACOG. Way to much compromise for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree that Elcan is a better optic. However, I will take a lessor optic if it means I can extend the stock to the proper length to support head position among other things. After many years of spending and testing, I now only pick Optics that don’t make me compromise technique. Proper stock length, especially for me, made things more repeatable especially when snapping a rifle into position while in motion.

Another reason I’ll never own an ACOG. Way to much compromise for me.
I think it boils down to what you are comfortable with and train/shoot with. Like you said, there are some things you don’t want to give up for a certain optic. SOF guys I have worked with ran a myriad of optics based on individual preferences. Not really a 100% answer for this question because the real question is what works for each of us (and how much $$$ do you have to burn).

·
Registered
79 Posts
+ 1 for the EOTECH. Get the green reticle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts