FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the market for a new holographic sight for my17s and I was curious to know if the eOtech sight are compatible with 7.62 NATO ammo because I've only seen the used with 5.56 weapons and as far as I know the ballistics are for 5.56. Answers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's just a red dot sight, so zero it and you're good to go. I use my aimpoint interchangeably on my 17s & M4
It's not just a red dot, you can make range estimation
range-estimation-eotech.jpg

the 552.XR308 is especialy for 7,62

Reactions: Skydogz

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've used my EOTech on an M1A before with no problems. As Turnanewleaf said, it's a red dot/holo sight, just zero it to point of aim. If you want something with BDC, EOTech does have this model:
552 Holographic Weapon Sight 308 Winchester Ballistic Reticle Matte AA Battery

But I've not seen a lot of info about it, namely where they got the data for the BDC (bullet type, weight, barrel length, etc).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
IMO, you don't buy a red dot/halo to get out to 200, 300, 400 yds. Not saying it can't be, but that's not the main purpose of use. Depending on where you are from, you very likely don't have a range that offers those types of distances. But if you're looking for a mix of 1x magnification with some distance shooting, I think a 1-4x variable scope would be better. Something like this: Burris TAC30

But, yeah, if mpo3 is what you want, it'll work. Lots a $$ though :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
IMO, you don't buy a red dot/halo to get out to 200, 300, 400 yds. Not saying it can't be, but that's not the main purpose of use. Depending on where you are from, you very likely don't have a range that offers those types of distances. But if you're looking for a mix of 1x magnification with some distance shooting, I think a 1-4x variable scope would be better. Something like this: Burris TAC30

But, yeah, if mpo3 is what you want, it'll work. Lots a $$ though :(
Not necessarily true. I own the HHS series with the FTS magnifier and it works great. The added 3x easily puts me on target at 200+ yards. (Have to adjust for 308, but not a problem). I have the 552 made for 308 and love it (on my M1-A) ... but have not tried the 3x with it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I am currently in the market for a new holographic sight for my17s and I was curious to know if the eOtech sight are compatible with 7.62 NATO ammo because I've only seen the used with 5.56 weapons and as far as I know the ballistics are for 5.56. Answers would be greatly appreciated.
Any sight with a reticle with different points of impacts can be used for whatever caliber by measuring the subtensions. Look at it at a target that has 1" grids at 100yds and measure the distance between the marks. This distance is "subtension". For example if the distance between the crosshairs and the next lower mark is 6" you know that the distance between the two marks is pretty much 6 MOA. Use a ballistics program that will show you the drop in MOA of your given load and bullet and you can accurately know the range that each of your marks represents.

Sounds more complex than it is. Biggest thing is to know how many MOA between whatever marks and how many MOA's your load drops at each range...................................dj

·
Registered
115 Posts
On my SCAR17S I have a Eotech XPS3-0 with 3x Magnifier. bought it here:
OPMOD EOTech MPO II EXPS3-0 Holosight w/ G23 3X Magnifier - 65 MOA ring and 1 MOA Dot Reticle, Tan

I love it. I have shot it very accurately at 100,200,300,400,500,600m. Haven't had a chance to shoot it out any farther. My definition of accurate is the ability to make groups on a 6" Shoot-N-C target at varying distances. at 100-300m that setup was consisently sub-moa. at 500-600m there were sub-moa groups but not 100%. All of the shooting I've done with the optics have been with the entry level priv ammo.

·
Administrator
11,233 Posts
Welcome to FNForum.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the 552 with the .308 ballistic reticle on my SCAR 17 and so far like it very well. I haven't tried it with a magnifier yet though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We had a variety of sights on our SCARS to include eotech. We switched them all to variable mag optics for better long range performance. Although we had failure issues with some of the older eotechs, there weren't any issues running it on the SCAR H.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love my set up. The EOTech makes it too easy for QAs with a great FOV plus the BUIS are functional & co-witness. The issues I have is bulk, weight and the charging handle needs to be operated with thought behind it. I'm getting ready to try out a CQ type scope which will probably cut back a little on the issues maybe loose a little on the QAs but definitely gain on magnifying power. Here is my > POST <

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love my set up. The EOTech makes it too easy for QAs with a great FOV plus the BUIS are functional & co-witness. The issues I have is bulk, weight and the charging handle needs to be operated with thought behind it. I'm getting ready to try out a CQ type scope which will probably cut back a little on the issues maybe loose a little on the QAs but definitely gain on magnifying power. Here is my > POST <

I love this set up.. if you dont mind me asking what model number reflex and magnifier do you have.. curious cause i am picking up my heavy this week.. and looking for this exact set up

thanks in advance.

·
Banned
596 Posts
+1 for EoTech w/magnifier. I have the EXPS2-3 with 3x mag. I freaking love it. Course I do love my ACOG TA11J red crosshair scope too...)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Realize that EOTech sells these in a package now which they call the Holographic Hybrid Sight I and II.

The HHS I is basically the EOTech EXPS3-4 and the HHS II is the EXPS 2-2. Both have a basic G33.STS (meaning switch-to-side) magnifier. The HHS I has a reticle with 4 MOA dots, set up for 5.56 though as others say, it's not that hard to figure out how to use it with .308. The HHS Ii has reticle with two 1 MOA dots. Aside from reticle, biggest difference between the two is the HHS I is night-vision compatible.

When I checked in early December, there was about a four-month wait from manufacturer. Tried ordering right after Christmas, but haven't heard back from my rep yet for latest.

You can also buy separate if you're wanting the .308 BDC reticle.

"It doesn't matter how you wear your hair; it's what's inside your head." -- S.O.D.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I got to look through one of these with the magnifier and fell in love. Want. Only question is, does the magnifier flip to the left for us proper handed few?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts