FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got an AK that will fit in my toolbox! This is my HAMMER drawer! I watched the vid a couple of weeks ago that MAC posted on the SB 15 brace. I found SB 47 brace and I had to do it. Serbian PAP M92 pistol. At least the ATF calls it a pistol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Now that it is all finished, I will be waiting for the ATF letter...."Dear subject. You know that neat little pistol you bought, and thought you were going to make a legal paperless SBR?.... Yeah, we decided to change our minds. you can just mail that little arm brace thingy directly to us for disposal immediatly.":p

It is a decent little gun for the money. will shoot it this Sunday.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Funny. I'm in search of one right now! I fired one last Friday that a buddy traded a keltec and a couple hundred bucks for. Been itching ever since.

(FSM) ACE Folding Stock Mechanism

A side folder arm brace would put it over the top!

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
I really dig it, Donnie.

And once again the forum has kindled an idea that's going to cost me money. I've got to quit hanging out here.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thought i would give a small bench top review in case anyone else is interested.
some things to note on these pistols.

- It does not have a chrome lined barrel. kind of a bummer, but not a show stopper. I will probably keep to non bi-metal projectiles for this one. I want to start shooting steel targets anyway, and your not supposed to use bi-metal jackets on steel targets.

- The bolt, and bolt carrier are both raw steel. again not a show stopper. keep it oiled and it should be fine. or it could easily be blued, Cerekoted, or whatever if you wished. When i first started looking at them i thought it was nickel plated.

- The wood has no finish whatsoever on it. it will need to be finished to protect it. It is very smooth and well made, although the wood seems soft, and may show up with a few small dings. I don't know what kind of wood it is, but it is not a laminate, but solid. I think a nice hard American Hickory would be better, but that's me. I went an unconventional rout this time and used Fiebings leather dye instead of wood stain. I have been working with leather for a while now, and like the British tan color. I tried it on some scrap wood first and thought it looked nice. it is very red, and i thought it would give it that russian red look. I put two coats on it to darken it up some. It is a oil dye, but is heavy with alchohol, so it soaks in fast and deep, and dries very quickly. I then used 5 coats of poly, with steel wool, and tac cloth in between coats. 6-10 hour drying time per coat. I used Satin to give it a sheen, but not be overly shinny.

- The gun is parkerized, and very nicely done too... nice and dark and even all over.

- Mine has a miss-drilled rivet hole on the right rear of the reciever just above the pistol grip and below the safety axis. If it was my first ever AK I would probably send it back, but i don't think it will be an issue. The rear of the reciever is beefed with the rear trunion and is quite thick. It should never have passed QC, but it should be fine. i don't expect any problems from it. If you look closely at the pictures you can just barely see another hole peeking out from beneath that particular rivet. or maybe i can see it because i know its there.

- The safety on mine was almost impossible to activate. I cut myself a little! It was just way to stiff. I tweeked it out a little by lifting it above the top rail on the reciever and pulling out gently but firmly. I also very litely filed the small dimple behind the safety that fits in the FIRE/SAFE slots. that helped a lot. Works nicely now, but not sloppy.

- the trigger is a comblock trigger for sure. It is a double hook design ( the first one i have had ) and very gritty. Some polishing will fix that quickly, or you could replace it with a Tapco trigger.

- It has a muzzle thread protector that is tac welded in place. You will probably want to cut that puppy off, and replace it with some kind of break. it took less than 5 minutes. I put a Krink style booster on mine in place of the thread protector. The booster is supposed to help with cycling the action by adding some back pressure since the gas block is so close to the end of the barrel. Adds about 2 inches to overall length. I have heard others say it cycles fine without it though. It will do nothing for flash or muzzle rize though. The gun does not have a detent pin to hold a device in place, but the Krink style booster on mine came with the detent pin, spring, and roll pin. It took about 20 seconds with some needle nose pliars and a small hammer. I also kept the original thread protector and cut a notch in it for the detent pin in case i ever want to put it back on to shorten it up. I was able to get the weld on the gas block nice and smooth. Once it is painted you will never know it was there. I will probably Duracoat it myself someday. Duracoat goes over parkerized metal really nicely!

- The stock... .eerrr...... I mean "arm brace" is very well made. all steel and alluminum. very sturdy. Much more so than I thought it would be. The "fork" that goes between the grip and reciever is thick steel. the steel is tuning fork shaped because the Serbians just had to be different I guess, and rivet the T-nut that holds the grip on to the reciever. One of a few subtle differences. So the steel fits around it. It is actually nice when you change out the grip not to have that nut falling around in the gun. The rest is aluminum and rubber, but quality stuff, with a nice coating. I think it looks very stock-like and does not really detract from the appearence.

- It has a fake buffer tube, and the rubber part can slide in or out to adjust your length of pull. Mine is out two inches and feels pretty good at that length. In order to use it as an arm brace I had to move it back that much anyway. I would think you would want it on the thickest part of your forearm, just below the elbow. I tried it all the way up against the reciever and it was to close to my wrist and hard to hold steady. to help keep the rubber from sliding back to the reciever I wraped a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the tube, then slid the rubber piece back over it. The friction keeps it from moving as easily. It seems to work pretty well, but i have not shot it yet. I will let you know more after i shoot this sunday.

Overall I would say it was good quality for the money. minus the miss-drilled rivet hole on mine. It is seems to be straight as far as the sight/gas block and trunions are all in line unlike my Century builds. It should shoot fairly straight, but it does not come with test targets like higher end Ak's so i may have to adjust the sights some. A little light sanding on the rails, bolt lugs, and other sliding/moving parts will make it nice and smooth, but in my experience that is true with all AK's.

If anyone is interested,

I got the gun here. http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/papm92pv Fast shipping, and very reasonable too. I paid $16.95 for shipping, but i am only one state away as they are in NC. that may make a difference. they also ship it with 5 mags. Two yugo bolt hold open mags, and three Tapco. the steel mags will be coated in cosmoleen, but i would rather clean cosmoleen, than for my magazines to be rusty!

I got the arm brace and the Krink style booster here. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1564551

I got the hogue grip form Midway USA. and did the NRA roundup. :smile:

A couple of things i forgot:

- the dust cover is hinged and not removeable. I found it to be a pain in the butt. every time i move the gun around it wants to come closed on my fingers!

- The sights are flip sights. The rear sight is set for 200 meters, and can be fliped to a taller 400 meter with a standard AK notch. both notches have white dots on either side of the sight notch. The front post is a standard AK post with a flip up white dot in front of it to give you a three dot sighting system for CQB.

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Thanks again for all the info, Donnie.

My wife thanks you too. Sure, it sounded like a steam of unprintable obscenities, but I'm sure that's not what she meant.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
follow up range report.

Shoots good,handles great! I really like the shorter barrel. much more manuverable, and quick to point.

- one side effect that is probably either from the shorter barrel, the booster, or both is it seemed dirtyier after a 100 rounds than the longer rifles. Maybe it is just my imagination though.

Other than that I see it as competing with my Arsenals as my favorite AK just because of the compact handyness!

All I need now is a rear sling attachment point, the picatinny rail for the dust cover, and a red dot! Oh, and more amunition of course.

Anyone else notive how the cost of ammunition eventually dwarfs the cost of the weapon? ;-)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided I would test out Century's warranty and customer service, and I have to say it was excellent!

on my PaP M92 I had a few issues. nothing huge, but I thought I would get them taken care of while it was still under the factory warranty. 1st problem was the really poor safety lever to dust cover fit. This was not a huge deal, but kinda irritating.
DSC07711.JPG

The 2nd problem was a miss-drilled rivet hole. Not a problem yet, but could have been in the future possibly. So I really returned the pistol for this reason mostly.
DSC07710.JPG

So I sent an e-mail to their customer service and got a reply within an hour asking if I could send pics. I sent them the pics, Then about an hour later the warranty rep sends me an e-mail with a PDF form download containing a form to fill out. I also had to scan a copy of the receipt and my drivers license. Once I sent them back the info, the rep sent me a Fed-Ex shipping label. I packed it up and took it to Fed-Ex the next day and sent it away.

19 days later a brand new gun comes to my door. I opened one box to find another nicer box inside. I have bought three Century products, and have always received them in crappy beat up dirty cardboard boxes, But this time it is actually a nice box. For cardboard anyway.
DSC07749 (2).JPG

But the best part is they actually swapped the forearm, and put the one I refinished on the new gun! I never thought they would do that! I was sure I was going to have to kiss that forearm good bye! I do have to re-cut the thread protector off and touch that up so I can put the booster back on. No big deal though!
DSC07748.JPG

This is the only time I have returned anything to Century, and I knock their products quite a bit, but I can at least say they got the warranty part right!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts