FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
this is my first post here. I have a few rifles in 223 and an L1A1. I am now shopping for a new SCAR.
My problem is that I live on Malta and it appears that the SCAR 17S is not available in Europe. The only exception is France and maybe Switzerland.
A while ago I was told that FN dont want to sell the "S" versions to civilians in Europe.
This is odd, especially if the SCAR S rifles are made in Herstal !
Also, In France average cost is about 5,500 $ !!!, thats more than twice what they cost in the US.

Does not figure! Import duty in the US should make them more expensive in the states.

Does anyone have any details about this ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im sure it has to do with contracts and we also have FNH USA here. Plus Europe isn't known to be the greatest place for civilians to own weapons.
Since we have FNH USA here, I believe the bring over the SCAR's and they are assembled in the United States and USA made parts are put on therefor making the costs go down for us. Plus if you look at the market for gun owners in Europe vs gun owners in America we have more buyers.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This is only unsubstantiated information, but I have heard that FNH's military contracts are tempered by granting special privilege on duties and classifications when accessing the civilian market place, but more then likely, they just have a great legal department. I have always wondered why the HK SL8 and HK USC are neutered while the FS2000 and PS90 are not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I understand the demand vs price issue. But still it does not figure. I have 3 Sig 550 series rifles I bought new from Switzerland for under 3000 Euro each. The price against what its selling for in France still sounds odd. Again, both France and Belgium are in the EU and there is no cross border tax. A while ago I asked our local FN rep here and was simply told the SCAR S is not available.
It could be of course that the "S" are part or whole manufactured in Herstal and under some contract they are all sent to the US.
The scare availability could be due to some european dealer importing a a few from the US, with the added shipping and tax costs.
I am just guessing here, maybe some French forum member can shed more light on this.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Might be because FNH don't sell the civilian SCAR to Europe like you said? And that the civilian SCAR in France and Switzerland are actually US civilian SCARs reimported into Europe from the US? Just pure speculation on my parts but it makes sense as there are not enough demand for a civilian SCAR in any European countries (due to their extremely strict law on gun ownership) for FNH to establish the kind of infrastructure to handle import and export as they have in the US.

FYI most of the 16s/17s sold in the US are not the same as how FNH import them into the states. The rifles are imported in their 922r compliant form then modified in FN's US factory then sold.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Oh I understand the demand vs price issue. But still it does not figure. I have 3 Sig 550 series rifles I bought new from Switzerland for under 3000 Euro each.
Doesn't your example actually support the price difference? Sig 550 rifles are ~2k USD in the US, significantly cheaper than 3k EU. It only make sense that SCAR would be the same way.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Doesn't your example actually support the price difference? Sig 550 rifles are ~2k USD in the US, significantly cheaper than 3k EU. It only make sense that SCAR would be the same way.
Actually the SIG 556 series sold in the USA are completely built in New Hampshire by Sig Sauer, while the 550 series is completely built in Switzerland by SIG. The 550's that were imported into the USA sell for over $6000.

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
Recall that Europe typically has 10% import duty, followed by 21% sales tax, and that in Europe prices are always quoted with tax included, while here in the US prices are always quoted without tax (which is a stupid way to do it, IMHO, but that's how we are), so in reality, those account for about a 35% increasse of Euro prices versus US prices.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Actually the SIG 556 series sold in the USA are completely built in New Hampshire by Sig Sauer, while the 550 series is completely built in Switzerland by SIG. The 550's that were imported into the USA sell for over $6000.
That's a good point. But that's a completely different situation from the SCAR, which is the imported model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Sig 550 series will cost about 3000 Euro in most places in europe, depending on tax etc. I suppose it will be different in the case of the SCAR if FNH is contractually bound to sell only in the US. This might explain why the few sold in europe for such a high price.....import costs from the US, taxes, handler markups.... There you go sir.....6000 USD please :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought France only allow you to own disabled guns. Was I wrong?

Have you tried getting one from Czech? They can have AUG and VZ 58 over there, might be able to get your hand on a SCAR too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts