FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was looking to purchase a SCAR it was which do I want, 17 or 16. Well first I wanted the 16, then I wanted the 17 but ended up getting a FDE 16 for $2100. I ended up selling my AR's and now have the funds to purchase a 17 but of course like everyone else in America I want FDE. Seems like in Dec I found about 3-4 FDE 17's on Gunbroker, and there was a guy on here selling one for $2800. Ive managed to find 2 FDE's right now but all well over $3500. I have my name on a waiting list at a LGS but I doubt they will be calling me any time soon if their supplier gets any in.
Just debating on pulling the trigger on a $3000+ over inflated FDE SCAR17 or waiting and hoping I can find one for under $3000. I built my 16 up pretty fast and getting ready tomorrow to send my barrel to get cut tomorrow so theres really not much left for the 16 besides enjoying it but I would like a 7.62 rifle as well.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
You could always learn to love a black one and buy a crapload of mags and some ammo for the difference.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a FDE 17, but if I couldn't have found one I would have bought a used black 17 for cheap and use the difference to cerakote it Tungsten grey, or maybe even a two tone upper/lower Tungsten/blk combo. Burnt bronze would be nice too with a FDE grip and accesories.

img0631rn.jpg Cerakoted AR-15 for example.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im currently bidding on one, hoping I seal the deal in 3 days when the auctions over. Theres another bidder so who knows

·
Registered
641 Posts
Im currently bidding on one, hoping I seal the deal in 3 days when the auctions over. Theres another bidder so who knows
With these FDE 17 thirsty guys I'd keep that on the down-low before you have 2 or 3 more bidders to fend off haha.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Don't bid now, wait till 16 minutes from the end. Then put the highest $ you would be comfortable with. Because of the 15 min rule (clock resets every time there is a bid during last 15.) it will slide in and if your lucky, your opposition may be lazy, busy or not notice.
The fact that you have already bid, tells them to watch out... Ebay is even better for this, wait till last 15 seconds and most don't have time to react. Hahaha

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Technically aren't all these NIB guns "used". What the difference from 1 round to 3-4 mags. Especially when all your gonna do is shoot it anyway. Its like a John Deer tractor that has plowed 50 yards of wet grass! BFD!

I bought my 16 used and am completely happy with my savings for other goodies you may want. You should seriously check out tejasmtb's "mint" option! Just sayin...

Im currently bidding on one, hoping I seal the deal in 3 days when the auctions over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With these FDE 17 thirsty guys I'd keep that on the down-low before you have 2 or 3 more bidders to fend off haha.
HAHA I just realized that after I posted, well if I win the auction great but Im sure Ill get outbid and Im sure the gun will go for much more then Im willing to spend. I set my limit on the auto bid to $2800 and right now its $2500 with 7 bids with 3 days Im sure it will go for $3500+

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
HAHA I just realized that after I posted, well if I win the auction great but Im sure Ill get outbid and Im sure the gun will go for much more then Im willing to spend. I set my limit on the auto bid to $2800 and right now its $2500 with 7 bids with 3 days Im sure it will go for $3500+
I'd be far more interested in getting a SCAR-H with the updated 7 lug bolt than any particular color if I were you..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
wow didnt even know that was a issue, thanks
I don't think it's really an issue but if I was going to spend more money on an FDE just to get the pre-2012 bolt with one less lug I'd feel like a goober for passing up a NIB black SCAR 17S with a 7 lug bolt for less money.

It's a product refinement to address a possible fatigue issue on full auto weapons in the field with high round counts. It will mean very little to civilian semi-auto users.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
a possible fatigue issue on full auto weapons
I don't believe FN delves in the area of "maybe".

No reported issues with bolt failures have been noted at NSWC.

As a result, no ECP has been issued.

Not sure where you're getting your information but wanted to clear the air before FNF is hammered with 'the sky is falling' mentality.

-SS

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just get a black one and have it Cerakoted what ever color(s) you want with the money you saved by betting a black SCAR.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you're still active, contact the forum sponsors... A couple of them offer Mil/LEO pricing. You'll be placing an order and wilting for one to become available, but its worth the wait and cost savings.

I would start with Eric at A Gun 4 You or Sgt Stryker.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts