FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a question.

Are there any plans to have "export" versions of either the PS90 or the FS2000?

AS I understand US law, the Dept. of State has a list of guns and related parts that are termed "Weapons of War" that cannot be exported to foreign civilians.
This includes folding or collapsible stocks, flash hiders (muzzle brakes are OK, but who determines if it is one or the other?), short barreled rifles (SBR's), rifle scopes with MilDot reticles, etc.

As for Canadian law, all these things are allowed. In fact, there are several PS90's and FS2000's in Canada in private ownership already.
However, any rifle with a barrel under 18.5" is a Restricted gun, meaning it can only be used at an approved range, not taken out hunting in the bush.
Also, a flash hider does not count towards the barrel length, so a 17" or 18" barrel with a 2" flash hider is a dumb combo for us, as it still is Restricted.
Far better to have a plain barrel of 18.75". Clean, non-restricted, and OK by the US DOS too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.
Your State Dept is now not allowing the export of guns with a 5.56 x 45mm NATO chamber. Guns marked as having a .223 Rem chamber are fine to export. :?:
Apparently, the 223 Wylde chamber is fine to export out of USA also.
http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html
Rock River Arms now builds some of their guns with the Wylde chamber already, as it allows the use of both civvy .223, as well as MilSurp 5.56x45mm NATO also.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=229

So......, how about a Canadian/US AWB state/any other country Export model of the FN-FS2000 and SCAR-L with an 18.6" barrel, no flash hider, no collapsible or folding stock, chambered in .223 Wylde?

I would really like to keep my money in North America. It seems a shame to prop up the Chinese arms industry, which is exactly what will happen if the US DOS continues to restrict exports.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Someone from Canada reported last year (on our site) that they had a PS90 - I'd swear I remember reading that. I have no idea about the export laws, however, so I don't know how they got it.

U may need to wait and ask this on the official Q&A thread (but you'd have to significantly shorten the question). FN Man has been busy lately, and he hasn't been answering questions out of the Q&A sessions... However, ya never know - maybe he'll get to it...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
You can get a PS90 up there but you need a "RESTRICTED FIREARMS" class permit to get it.
If I remember right, getting a "RESTRICTED FIREARMS" license is pretty hard from what I've heard.
Now if someone where to come out with a longer barrel for it than the factory 16", then it would qualify under "NON-RESTRICTED" and anyone with a basic possession and acquisition licence could get it.

I believe 5.7x28mm ammo is also illegal. Thought it was on your "prohibited" list of ammo.

Also, I believe the FiveseveN is also illegal up there since it is high capacity. Which falls into: "5 rounds for handguns not commonly found in Canada."

Since I am not from Canada, I would suggest you contact your local LEO or RCMP for better info. My source of Canadian info is from a relative up there.
Don't forget to also check out: http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/ for Canadian Forearm laws.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shipwreck and Tqtran are partially correct.
However, there are two completely separate sets of law at work here.
First, Canadian law.
--Federal only, it does not change dramatically from province to province, unlike the various US state laws.
--3 different classes of guns. Non-restricted, Restricted, and Prohibited (usually with a "grandfather clause"). Non-restricted includes most rifles and shotguns, etc. We can take them out in the bush, etc. Restricted are all handguns, as well as short barreled (under 18.5", not 16" as in your country) rifles, and a few guns listed by name, most notably the AR10/AR15 series. These guns can only be used on an approved gun range. I have a Restricted license, it is not too difficult to get. I do not like "range queens" for rifles, as I would like to get out into the bush for my shooting. The Chinese Type 97A that I am using in the Youtube videos above are restricted barrel length. When another importer brings in some non-R ones, I will be buying one.
--AP rifle ammo is OK, AP pistol ammo is banned. Because of this the 5.7x28mm round was PREVIOUSLY banned by name. Now, with non-AP ammo, as well as rifles using the same calibre, it is OK now.
--AFAIK, the FiveSeveN pistol is allowed, but the mag would have to be pinned to 10 rounds max. That is very common to pin mags to limit the capacity.

Now, as I understand US EXPORT law (NOTHING to do with Can. import law):
-no export of collapsible or foldable stocks. The Robinson Arms XCR come with the stock pinned in place.
--no flash-hiders, although muzzle brakes are fine.
--no SBR. (interestingly enough, once a rifle is less than 18.5" barrel, it is restricted, but it does not become any MORE rest if the barrel is shortened further. There are many guys with 9" AR barrels around. And no stupid $200 tax stamp either.)
-- something I just learned was the 5.56x45 chamber issue mentioned above.

Yes, there are a few PS-90s and FS2000 in Canada right now. It seems someone played fast and loose bringing them in, and got caught. It is before the courts right now, and I dont know any more than what I read on another site, so I won't say any more.
EDIT As Fighting Tenth/Beltfed points out below, a VERY FEW did get imported properly into Canada.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TooTall said:
Yes, there are a few PS-90s and FS2000 in Canada right now. It seems someone played fast and loose bringing them in, and got caught. It is before the courts right now, and I dont know any more than what I read on another site, so I won't say any more.
I'm a member on here and a member on CGN as 'Beltfed' and as I posted on that forum, no ALL FS2000s were brought in 'on the sly' (ie. breaking Canadian or U.S. law). I'd appreciate if you re-worded your above post. :?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FightingTenth said:
TooTall said:
I'm a member on here and a member on CGN as 'Beltfed' and as I posted on that forum, no ALL FS2000s were brought in 'on the sly' (ie. breaking Canadian or U.S. law). I'd appreciate if you re-worded your above post. :?
Done.
See you back on CGN!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts