FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Narrowed down my search for some type of extended hand guard system to the following:

Weight added to RifleFactory Sling MountRetain Factory Front SightAllow piston removal for cleaningPrice
M.I. SCAR Keymod Rail Extension6.8 oz.YesYesYes$219.95
VLTOR SCAR KeyMod Handguard6.5 oz.??(Need Info)Yes??(Need Info)$249.95 + $79.95(extender) = $329.90
Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore-Rail – Standard
-1 oz.NoYes??(Need Info)$480.00

Please share your personal experiences with these products or any others you feel fit the below criteria.
If you know of a better option that I am overlooking Please Share!

What I'm looking for in an extended hand guard:

1. Lightweight
2. Retains Factory Front Sight
3. Ease of installation(please elaborate on your personal experiences with these products)
4. Ease of maintenance(again personal experience with the product is greatly appreciated)
- retains ability to easily remove gas plug/piston for cleaning.
5. Retain use of factory sling mount eyes.

Really like the handl defense but can't see spending near $500 for a handguard and I will lose my favorite(factory) sling mounts. The Midwest industries seems to fit what I am looking for except in weight. One of the primary reasons I purchased the SCAR 17 was because of how exceptionally lightweight it is for a .308 caliber rifle. I guess maybe I have an irrational fear of weighing down a lightweight battle rifle with too much added junk. Finally the vltor is nice but I don't have enough information to make a decision and the price seems high for what it is.

I am looking for input on ANY SCAR 17 Handgaurds keeping in mind the above criteria. If you have owned any of these products your input would be extremely valuable to me. Let me know if I am overlooking anything related to this topic, I value your opinions.

Thanks

[HR][/HR]

Midwest Industries SCAR Keymod Rail Extension:
Midwest Industries: SCAR KeyMod Rail Extension

VLTOR SCAR KeyMod Handguard:
https://www.vltor.com/shop/keymod/casv-scar-scar-handguard-keymod/

Handl Defense SCAR Advanced Fore-Rail – Standard
SCAR Advanced Fore-Rail ? Standard | Handl Defense

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
1525182_640861855986766_867275967_n.jpg

The Branham Tactical extension should be available (again) soon. Used it before and liked it, but unfortunately you lose the quick change feature. Midwest has a "SOCOM" legnth extension coming which sounds like it is short enough to use it on a 16" barrel with a suppressor. Also the Midwest "SOCOM" length rail has a shorter height.

Reactions: 7.62x51mm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not plan on changing the barrel so that is not a deal breaker. It looks good but may be a little to short for my natural grip(just forward of the gas block). Do you have any more info on the Midwest Industries SOCOM length, Pictures(or where I can find them)? I had not heard of that...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I do not plan on changing the barrel so that is not a deal breaker. It looks good but may be a little to short for my natural grip(just forward of the gas block). Do you have any more info on the Midwest Industries SOCOM length, Pictures(or where I can find them)? I had not heard of that...
Its to be revealed. I too, am waiting on what it looks like. If VLTOR ever released a Quick change version of their hand guard, i would be all over it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Of the currently existing options, why not a PWS? It seems to meet your criteria.

That said, I'm interested in hearing more about this new MI rail. The existing rail is rather long and towards the heavy end of the spectrum.

EDIT: Ah, I see now that all those options are KeyMod. I'm waiting for an attractive and lightweight keymod solution myself. The length of that Branham seems perfect.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Going thru the same review op. I want to ditch the side rails and replace with key mod - gotten used to a narrower fore grip and don't use the side rails for anything on the SCAR.

My ideal solution is an attractive key mod design that acts as a light-weight extension that covers the exposed gas block (burned enough time to want that), allows me to use a slightly more extended weak hand grip, allows use of the front sight and is robust enough for serious field work - all in FDE - thank you. Watching the various providers with interest. Thanks for your post. Matt

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I wanted to like the kenetic design...the fact that the front barrel extension screws are not captive and the addition of 2 new fasteners killed it for me.

Still interested in your "socom" rail offering Midwest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of the currently existing options, why not a PWS? It seems to meet your criteria.
I am not opposed to a full picatinny rail setup, the main reason for not considering the PWS is the weight(7.9oz). I am not married to keymod but most seem to be the lighter weight options. The Midwest, although it meets all other criteria is still a little heavier than would like. I like to hunt(real hunting that requires I carry the weapon long distance through harsh terrain, not sitting in a stand) with the SCAR 17 so weight is the single most important aspect. I just need a little more handgaurd to make the grip perfect for my long arms. I will probly end up breaking down an getting the handl defense because of the weight but the price tag has got me hesitant so I will hold out a little longer in hope that a better and slightly less expensive option will present itself. Also I hate to lose the factory sling mounts with the handl defense, I have been using a sling setup that works well with the factory configuration so that is another big detractor for me. Anybody know someone running the handl defense? I would like to get their input and thoughts on sling attachment(not a big QD fan, more of an HK style snap hook guy).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love my PWS. But lately, I've been feeling nostalgic and wanted to get back to basics and put mine in stock condition. PM me if you're interested taking this from me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been eyeballing the HANDL long version for my 17 recently. I have set this rifle up to hunt pigs and also take courses with. I just recently mounted my optic (NF NXS compact 2.5-10x42) and removed the front sight. I initially planned to run the MI keymod SSR, but would rather save weight with the HANDL model vs add weight with the MI. I already have the HANDL lower, which has worked out well in the end. Before placing an order, does anyone know if this reduces the grip diameter like the MI keymod/M-Lok models and is there access to the gas piston like the others? The pictures make it hard, and with the longer model similar to the SSR types, and with almost no pictures, it's hard to say.

Jerry

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am not opposed to a full picatinny rail setup, the main reason for not considering the PWS is the weight(7.9oz). I am not married to keymod but most seem to be the lighter weight options. The Midwest, although it meets all other criteria is still a little heavier than would like. I like to hunt(real hunting that requires I carry the weapon long distance through harsh terrain, not sitting in a stand) with the SCAR 17 so weight is the single most important aspect. I just need a little more handgaurd to make the grip perfect for my long arms. I will probly end up breaking down an getting the handl defense because of the weight but the price tag has got me hesitant so I will hold out a little longer in hope that a better and slightly less expensive option will present itself. Also I hate to lose the factory sling mounts with the handl defense, I have been using a sling setup that works well with the factory configuration so that is another big detractor for me. Anybody know someone running the handl defense? I would like to get their input and thoughts on sling attachment(not a big QD fan, more of an HK style snap hook guy).

OP, I think you and I are in the same boat. I'm also looking for someone with first hand experience with the HANDL piece. I would be looking for the longer model as I noted int he previous post, but for slightly different reasons. I find myself sometimes using trees or whatever to rest the gun on like some 3gunners with barricades, and would rather rest the guard on there instead of the barrel. I also don't need rails to lights and lasers, but would like to keep my bipod on there. When I was looking at the MI keymod model, the main attractant for me was the grip diameter reduction. I'm looking at the HANDL pictures, and it seems more bulky, but maybe it's just me.

Jerry

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own the Vltor CASV-SCAR for both my 16 and 17 and love it. Easy to install and lightweight. I wish I had waited and bought the Keymod version though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 1.17.24 AM.png I saw some pics of an M lok scar rail on your Instagram, is this the one that your talking about? If so im interested, how much is it going to be when it ships?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the midlength handl forend on the way. Will post assembly , and results.
Awesome! Can't wait hear your take on it.

Went to the range this weekend to work on some drills, after a couple rapid strings of fire I carelessly placed my hand a little to far forward discovering a very hot gas block, needless to say my grip was quickly adjusted.

Which reminds me, I need an extended handguard ASAP!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts