FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this topic on another forum and I thought I'd bring it up here...

You guys with a CHL permit - when you carry, do you keep an extra mag on you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My S&W66 is a .357 so no mags to begin with.

If I do carry an auto I bring a spare mag. When you need it and don't have it, your singing a different tune.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've rarely carried an extra mag in the past. Usually just the 10 round mag in my P99c (+1 in the chamber). Over the past month, I've been trying to get into the habit of keeping a fullsize P99 mag with me (which also works in my compact)

·
Registered
636 Posts
OH if i have my 340pd i have one speed loader.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I always carry two on my hip and one in the left leg pocket of my Carrharts. I learned this at sveral combat handgun courses. When I visited thunder ranch they said you should always be prepared for anything and one mag in the gun and one back up is all you should need, if you end up needing more than that, than you shouldn't have been where your at with a handgun in the first place. So, as usual I go over board and carry three extra mags.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I had my ccw in another state, I always carried two extra mags. When I get my ccw for Arizona I'll carry two extra mags.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Not usually. It depends on where I will be going.

TA

·
Registered
95 Posts
No, but maybe I should reconsider. I have always tried to avoid asking for trouble by not being where I don't belong, and if trouble finds me anyway I expect 10 rds of .40 S&W would allow me to neutralize the threat or disengage to safety.

Good question though, and I look forward to hearing others' viewpoints on this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont carry an extra mag. I consider it pointless. Seriously, if I spend 15 rounds I will also be retreating at the same time (a defensive move). If the court asks me "how many rounds did you fire?" and I respond "37 rounds" its going to turn into less of a case about defense and more of a case about me wanting to kill someone. By the time someone has spent 15 rounds they can be a safe distance away. Plus I am confident that I can hit them SOMEWHERE in 15 shots. Hell, thats why I go to the range every weekend that I can. Granted I realize that I will more than likely miss with my first 2 (stress) I know I will hit them with 1 of the next 10.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do. I don't have a mag carrier for my belt so I usually just throw one in my cargo pocket.
Like my spare tire, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Again missing the point ! The answer is being prepared for ANYTHING ! What if you are confronted by multiple targets and it takes you between 4 and five shots to drop each one? But, I guess that doesn't matter if you get killed, just as long as its defensible in court? Right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, and I guess I should carry 22 mags in case Venezuela decides to finally invade the US.

Give me a break.

2 attackers is the max I read about locally. So please, let me prepare for 4. Haha! The mere sight of a handgun against most attackers is a deterrent. And I'm no Tony Soprano. So I'll stick to my no extra mags, thank you.

If 4 people attack me and I die, then you, tgr934x4, can have the last laugh. And I guess at that point I won't give a damn, will I?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Almost always, unless it's a 1 minute trip to the corner store and I feel lazy. Otherwise, it's 2 spare mags for the FN, if it's the .45.....3-4 spares.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts