FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has tried the extreme shock ammo either the air freedom round or the Enhanced penetration rounds

also what about the corbon pow'r ball

I am just looking for the best round for my fnp 45, I normally shoot hydra shoks in my .40 cal's and Federal Fusion in my .357 :?

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Can you throw me a link to the site?

I think I might have their product in .223 but I honestly don't recall. If I saw the outside of the box I would probably recognize it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
I had a box of cycling sub-sonic and they worked fine... but most rounds had the high velocity crack. My M4 is a colt so perhaps it is too efficent and ended up firing the slug over the speed of sound.

I also had a box of non-cycling sub-sonic and they worked fine.... whisper quiet from the blast and bullet speed.

.....so I guess I am saying my experience is just fine with the product.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
ick said:
Can you throw me a link to the site?

I think I might have their product in .223 but I honestly don't recall. If I saw the outside of the box I would probably recognize it.
http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

I haven't tried any, but I may now. Look at about 50 seconds into this video.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Total waste of money. I'll never get over the gimmickery that gets sold. PT Barnam said it best... "one born every minute".

Shot placement is far more important than the newest "wizbang" round on the market. I'd spend all that money on practice first. Because unless you can hit what you are aiming at with speed and precision, it doesn't do you any good to have those rounds in the rifle or pistol. (My apologies if you are an expert marksman).

Honestly though, if you hit (presumably a bad guy) with 2 or 3 rounds from either a pistol or rifle, they are going to be having a very VERY bad day. If you are worried about armored targets (unlikely but I'll play) then learn to shoot to the hips or the head after the first 2 or 3 shots. Either way, it's unlikely to score hits in those areas if the target is moving unless you've had some serious trigger time.

Also, watermellons have nowhere near the consistancy of human flesh or innards. Besides, if you hit the heart or brain, it's pretty much over anyways.

Zhur

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Well aren't you a wet blanket! You said the same things that the folks over on sigforum said a couple of months ago when it was mentioned over there. Do you own only WWB because shot placement makes any better ammo unessasary? :D

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That stuff looks devastating, but it is f*ing expensive!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
Well aren't you a wet blanket! You said the same things that the folks over on sigforum said a couple of months ago when it was mentioned over there. Do you own only WWB because shot placement makes any better ammo unessasary? :D
That's funny, I've never register or visited the Sig forums. I'm not saying that Hollowpoints aren't good for what they do, but why pay near twice as much for a round that isn't going to do THAT much more? I'd rather someone buy twice as much ammo and practice twice as much. That makes more sense to me than if a round expands .0005mm more than another or that is 50 fps faster. Sorry, I'll be a wet blanket, but I've never posted on the Sig forums.

Zhur

PS. Misread what you posted.. thought you said "I" said that over on Sigforums... my bad, but the message stands other than that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
here's a good run down from another forum that covers some of the ammo in question: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

makes me think a little bit about hydrashoks, but the ones tested were 230gr normal pressure if i read correctly.. I wonder if the 230 gr +p or the 185gr +p's that i have would expand any better. a 3.8" barrel can also be taken into account i guess. I can vouch for the hst's though, recovered one i shot and it expanded perfectly. at the same time i wouldnt hesitate to use a normal hydrashok over any fmj round anyday. then again any fmj i use gives me piece of mind too. i wouldnt like to have any of the above headed my way

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey zurdan sure accuracy counts and the 2 in the chest one in the head theory is great but look at it this way there are better ammo than others its just like a hyundai to a bmw, If you saying the expensive ammo is a waste of money, then are you the same on your firearms, if so go buy a Hi Point. :-D

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I think I'm going to have to mostly agree with Zhur on this one. This ammo is really only suited for situations in which over penetration or penetrating hard surfaces is a problem (like on a plane). It's devastating, but so it a hollowpoint. You can get really good hollowpoints for about half the price of these. I'd be a lot more hesitant to practice with these rounds than with hollowpoints based on a price stance.

I also wonder how they would perform if they hit someone with a heavy coat, which I see a lot of around here for several months.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
408 Posts
jrh3 said:
hey zurdan sure accuracy counts and the 2 in the chest one in the head theory is great but look at it this way there are better ammo than others its just like a hyundai to a bmw, If you saying the expensive ammo is a waste of money, then are you the same on your firearms, if so go buy a Hi Point. :-D
I didn't say premium ammo was a waste at all. I buy either Hydrashocks or Gold dots depending on the pistol because some run better in some guns than others. (no misfeeds). What I'm getting at is that these bullets are touting they are "better" than premium rounds that cost half as much. Please re read my post... it clearly implies that I'd rather have someone practice TWICE as much for HALF the cost. I can buy Hydrashocks and Gold dots for $23 a box of 20, whereas this stuff is double that! Do you really think that even if it expanded an additional .01 and was 150fps faster, that it'd do that much more damage? Either way, they are most likely going to stop in the body and transfer all their energy to the target.

Please also note that my selection of ammo is based on how well those types of ammo function in different firearms... quality firearms. The difference between Hydrashocks and this Extremeshock ammo is no comparison to a Glock vs HiPoint, or a Kimber vs HiPoint. If you believe it is, well... that's just nuts.

Zhur

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm not a believer in MAGIC BULLETS. If people want to buy magic beans or magic bullets thats their business. Have at it. I'll stick with what I know works. What works for me is to buy good quality inexpensive ammo, that I can consistantly hit what I'm aiming at. In 45 and 9mm, I like Hydra shocks, though I'm not opposed to golden sabars or Ranger ammo if the price is right (which means if they cost more than the Hydro's then they cost to much).

In rifle ammo it depends on what I'm hunting (if you know what I mean), how far of a shot will I be taking, Because accuracy and caliber are the key.

"Don't go fishing for whales with a zebco"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts