FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am right handed and left eye dominate. So, it has prev kept me from enjoying rifles. Works fine for pistols, since I shoot using the weaver stance.

W/ my eotech, I can use my left eye, and this is the first rifle I could ever do this with. Now, I CAN keep both eyes open when using the Eotech.

But, for whatever reason, that only works for me at close range.

When shooting at 50 yards and 100 yards today, I found that I do best with my right eye. I found myself using the right eye today to make nearly all of my shots. It seems that my right eye can see clearer at those distances than my left, despite the left eye being the dominate one.

So, I guess if I'm bullseye shooting at 50 yards or more, I'm sruck w/ still using my right eye.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My speculation is when you shooting at closer range, therefore, you're faster with your dominant eye.

When you shoot further, you take more time, holding the rifle longer, and using right eye is just more ergonomic and comfortable at that point since you shoulder your gun on the right.

I messed up too. I'm lefty, but do most of the things right handed, including shooting, play guitar, sports, ..etc. Thank god, I'm right eye, makes it easier on that part.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's probably true. But, when I did notice what I was doing, and then looked at the target with both left and right eyes, my right eye can see further away clearer.

I actually have a lot of trouble adjusting to new glasses, and to make a long story short, had many refunds from the time I was a teenager becaise I could never adjust. One thing we've learned (I saw we - me and my eye doctor) is that I need both of my lens to be the same, despite 1 eye being worse than the other. Otherwise, I can't adjust.

My left eye is the dominate 1, but its also the worse one. So, that's why I kep having to use the right eye at 50 and 100 yards. It was esier to see the target at that distance. And, I think subconsciously, I've been forced to use that right eye everytime I've picked up a rifle in the past. So, despite not having to do that w/ this gun, it still seems second nature...

·
Registered
15 Posts
ShipWreck:

I'm also right handed and left eye dominant. I've done a fair amount of research, and seen where many instructers have said that such a person has the potential to shoot much better left handed than right. In other words, if you put in the time in to learn to shoot left-handed, you will eventually surpass your ability to shoot right handed. Kids starting out should shoot left handed.

I've been trying to switch and shoot pistols left-handed but have been shooting right handed for years so it is hard to make the switch. I do shoot pretty well left handed though.

I've been shooting the PS90 both ways.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, normally I'd try, but I dislocated my left elbow at age 8. When they put it back, I had a pinched nerve for a week before they discovered it. I had emergency surgery the same say it was discovered.

I have full range of motion, but do have some slight nerve damage. I still don't have all the feeling on the bottom edge of my arm and my last 2 fingers. My left hand also doesn't always want to do certain detailed tasts.

I'm not comfortable doing most things left handed. It just doesn't feel right. I tried to shoot it left handed for a few shots when I got to shoot someone else's, and it just didn't feel right.

But, yea, I've heard the same thing... Might work well for someone else, though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts