FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the shortest eye relief we can get away with on a scar 17 with a 1 pound optic sittin' on top?

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I just saw your post in regards to the thermal thread. So I guess you are referencing that with this post? I used to have a TA31F and the eye relief was 38mm and I didn't really care for it. Granted, I never had an issue with getting popped in the eye by the ACOG either, it was just to short in my opinion for a 308. YMMV

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
EoTech???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would really like to have the ACOG for my newly arriving Scar 17 tomorrow. Try the 3.5x version, it has slightly better eye relieve over the 4x.

I ordered my Scar and the Timney trigger. I'm going to be ironsighting it for a couple of weeks before I can afford an optic. I've like to . See if anyone has had success with the Leupold VXR Patrol on their Scar 17.

I even like the HAMR by Leupold, it won't run right for the 308. It has great eye relief.

I'm new to this forum, but it's been very helpful. I'm so exited to FINALY be getting this rifle!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was hoping Leupold was going to offer a .308 HAMR as well, they give excellent pricing to mil/LEO. I don't think they do however. The acogs (ta11j-308 ) seem pretty nice though, just steep in price as I haven't seen any cheeper than $1,100. Congrats on the rifle!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Eye relief is driven by the optic, not by the rifle

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eye relief is driven by the optic, not by the rifle
Thanks for replying everyone. What I'm trying to get at is what Kev referred to. I was thinking of getting a thermal rifle scope for my SCAR 17. The ATN Thors have an eye relief of 28 mm or so. I'm pretty sure my rifle recoils pretty close to that. The reason I included the weight of an optic when I first posted is because the rifle recoils less with more weight attached. I don't want to wreck the cornea in my right eye....it's the only one it has. I can't say I have a lot of experience with optics with a "short" eye relief. I have a Leopold 3 to 9 that has ample eye relief. I just don't want to experiment with my cornea. Does the listed eye relief sound undoable for a 17? Maybe these scopes are for 5.56 and not .308. You guys let me know about your experiences with this set up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I for one can't stand short eye relief. Especially with tactical sights (which I consider most acogs, holographic, and red dots to be.) Anything I plan to present and fire rapidly, I want the longest eye relief possible. My buddy picked up the TA31 and I couldn't get over how short the eye relief is.

That being said... in the end it all comes down to personal preference...

Go with what you feel comfortable with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts