FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if the F2000 flash hider will fit onto the FS2000? I'd like to shorten the barrel on my FS but don't want to necessarily go to the trouble of cutting and rethreading the barrel. The F2000 flash hider would shorten over barrel length an 1 1/2 in. I reckon. Also is that a little rail hanging off the bottom of the barrel on the F2000?

·
Registered
47 Posts
ehallspqr said:
Anybody know if the F2000 flash hider will fit onto the FS2000? I'd like to shorten the barrel on my FS but don't want to necessarily go to the trouble of cutting and rethreading the barrel. The F2000 flash hider would shorten over barrel length an 1 1/2 in. I reckon. Also is that a little rail hanging off the bottom of the barrel on the F2000?
The thing hanging off the bottom of the barrel is a Bayonet Lug.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F2000 flash hider/Bayonet lug

Oh. Couldn't tell from the pictures I have seen what it exactly was. Looks cool on there though. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
408 Posts
The barrel on the FS2000 is 17 3/8", so if you take off 1 1/2" you will have an overall barrel length of 15 7/8" which would constitute a need for Federal paperwork for an SBR. Please make sure to do the measurments before you start swapping stuff, or you may just end up in a PYITA Prison.

Zhur

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F2000 flash suppressor on FS

Good point on the barrel length. I don't want to deal with SB issues at all. I will have to measure but I think I can squeak by swapping to the shorter F2000 hider and get rid of the thread adapter while I'm at it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the FNC flash hider would look good also. I guess we need to figure out the thread size on the FS2000. It looks like the barrel is threaded into a female adapter? Then the flash hider has male threads that thread into the adapter? It would be nice if the threads where standard AR15 1/2 in. X 28 then you could use the any hider made for the AR. Maybe something like this. YankeeHill FH with external threads for that suppressor you've been thinking about filling out the paperwork for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Zhurdan said:
The barrel on the FS2000 is 17 3/8", so if you take off 1 1/2" you will have an overall barrel length of 15 7/8" which would constitute a need for Federal paperwork for an SBR. Please make sure to do the measurments before you start swapping stuff, or you may just end up in a PYITA Prison.

Zhur
So if the barrel is 17 3/8" what is the length of the permanently attached flash hinder that it comes with?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm looking to buy and put on a Vortex G6A2, which is 2 1/4" long. I want to perm attach the vortex and I want the total length to come to 16" or as close as possible.

So long as the total length of the rifle doesn't drop below 26" I'm good to go.

·
Registered
408 Posts
No, the barrel isn't 17 3/8", the OVERALL length of the barrel, including the flash hider is 17 3/8". I guess it would depend on how many threads it's threaded onto the rifle, that I do not know. I simply brought it up so that people would be careful of getting it too short, that would end up in illegal activities and bad joo joo beans for that person. Personally, unless I'm getting rid of more than 4"-5" off of a rifle, I am not going to bother with it. Besides, $200 and the paperwork isn't really that bad, it's just the waiting that sucks.

I'd really suggest getting a professional opinion on what you are looking to do. That way you don't mess up a perfectly good rifle.

Can I ask why you want to put a Vortex on it? Are it's flash hindering abilities any better than the stock unit or is it just a cosmetic change? Personally, I think the vortex FH's are a bit clunky. (my opinion)
Zhur

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is the flash hinder that comes with the rifle threaded? I was under the assumption that it was pinned. Where I live SBR's are a no-no so $200 + paperwork isn't an option for that. Hence perm attaching and keeping it 16".

·
Registered
408 Posts
As far as I know, all flash hiders are threaded to the barrel, then a small pin is inserted thru the flash hider into a hole drilled into the meat of the barrel, then tack welded into place, then finished to match.
Zhur

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's what I was thinking you meant. You had me confused when you said that the barrel was threaded. I.e. threaded for removal and attachment of other flash hinders, sound suppressors etc. Which when your looking at legality where the threads end equating to barrel length. Or if you pin and perm attach it the flash hinder being considered the end of the barrel.

As for your question on the G-6A2 it eliminates muzzle flash pretty much completely. There are a couple of videos floating around (Youtube etc) that demonstrate its ability.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I always worry about youtube testimonials when it comes to flash suppression. There aren't many video cameras out there that reliably catch muzzle flash that I've seen on Youtube. Doesn't mean they don't work, I just kinda think they are clunky.

Sorry about my confusing the situation there, but there is a concern being that some rifles actually have shorter, in some cases much shorter, actual barrels, but with the pinned on FH, it counts as "barrel" towards overall length.

One instance that would really be kinda fun is on a DSA FAL that i have. It's threaded, but has a 5" flash hider on it. That might be nice to get some paperwork on and shorten up a bit. I'm also looking to buy one of these for the same reason, to shorten it up.

Just for the record, once you start buying NFA stuff... it's even more addicting than guns are already!

Zhur

·
Registered
29 Posts
So anyone have the length on the Flash suppressor that comes stock on the FS2000? I'm guessing that its longer than 2 1/8".

·
Registered
48 Posts
also, whats the length of the FS barrel with the flash hider and extension removed? I dont have access to mine at this time, only 220 days left lol

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm actually in the process of shortening my FS barrel; I drilled and removed my stock FH a couple of hours ago:

Stock barrel with original (pinned) FH = 19"
Barrel with FH removed = about 17 1/2"
FH length = about 3 1/4"

The threads that attach the FH to the barrel are in the middle of the FH's length, so there's about 1 1/4" of it that reflexes backwards over the barrel. I don't officially know why, but I speculate it's to support a supressor locking ring. The main purpose of me machining my barrel is to give it compatibility with all the 1/2"-by-28 junk out there, but I'm going to shorten it to about 16 1/8" just to reduce the goofy protruding-ness from the receiver without necessitating the SBR process. It also preserves the matching serial number stamped on it.

:twisted: :twisted:

I need to find a PS90 and almost all of my goals will have been accomplished! :shock:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for the good info on flash suppressor swaps. I found out from a previous FN forum post that FS2000 uses an odd thread size of 9/16 X 24 left hand threads. Yes the stock flash hider extends back over the barrel at least 1.2 in. At first I thought there was a thread adapter between the barrel and FH but now I see it is all one long 3.1 in. piece. I want to trim back the barrel just a little (1.25in.) to redo the threads in 1/2 X 28 and add something like a Primary Weapons System FSC556. Seen these at the range on AR/s and not only are the pretty good compensators they really do suppress the flash to a great degree. Never having shot my FS at night or during fading light I was wondering how good the stock FH works?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depends on the ammo you shoot. With stock and XM193 you get a good flash. I originally wanted to put a vortex on the end of mine but have since decided to go with a AAC Blackout hider. I'm planning on picking up a M4-2000 mod '08 to go on the end so I'll be going with the 51 tooth Blackout to make it all work. A buddy of mines AR has a blackout installed and I don't see it when night firing, both of us using the same ammo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts