FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this posted on one of my firearm groups:

Google and Facebook have now made it possible to find photos of firearms by simply typing a serial number into the search box. Earlier today, the automotive website Jalopnik published a story showing how license plate numbers are evidently scanned using optical character recognition (OCC) on Google images, allowing them to be searchable using text queries. Using the OCC hypothesis, TFB wondered if this image data mining technique might be able to be used to search for firearm serial numbers. Using images posted previously on TFB with serial numbers displayed on firearms, we tested the serial number search technique. As you can see from the results below, firearm serial numbers are in fact part of this apparent large-scale data mining operation by companies like Google and Facebook.

As the article states, they are not going after firearms specifically, just numbers visible on any picture. Still, it is unnerving to see this crap being collected.

Link to full TFB article with pictures.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Call me Mr tin foil hat–- but when you give permission to Facebook to post photos or instagram- and lets say you don’t post a photo online– don’t they also have access to that? Say your like any one of us–“hey check this out bob, I scored it cheap” snap a picture (2a item) and send it via email to bob or text message– but have that picture on your phone’s pictures catalog – couldn’t that also be grabbed and “filed”. Seems a bit spooky to me.

kind of makes you want to scrub your Facebook/phone pictures catalog.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Call me Mr tin foil hat–- but when you give permission to Facebook to post photos or instagram- and lets say you don’t post a photo online– don’t they also have access to that? Say your like any one of us–“hey check this out bob, I scored it cheap” snap a picture (2a item) and send it via email to bob or text message– but have that picture on your phone’s pictures catalog – couldn’t that also be grabbed and “filed”. Seems a bit spooky to me.

Don't use my phone for anything but phone calls, no social media whatsoever. Don't post anything on Facebook, just use it to keep up with extended family. Avoid like the plague anything google related.

·
Registered
908 Posts

Facebook owns the rights to anything you transfer through Facebook. Google has usage rights to anything you send through gmail.

If you do use Facebook (or it's alternate skin Instagram) I strongly suggest: always use your web browser and never the app, try to uninstall or deactivate any of the social 'apps' from your devices, assume everything that you post privately will become public (it eventually will be), never post pictures that you took on your phone while Location was enabled, understand that to the cloud/social companies, the feds, and anyone willing to pay for the data (increasingly including local LE) you have zero anonymity, and your activity isn't just recorded on facebook, google etc's own sites but those companies are also the web's largest ad networks so almost every other site, like this one, is wrapped up in their surveillance

Reactions: Macprowler

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if they are going to share the info with law enforcement. Or with beto and his crew of antigunners. I have never posted my gun pics on the internet.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Facebook owns the rights to anything you transfer through Facebook. Google has usage rights to anything you send through gmail.

If you do use Facebook (or it's alternate skin Instagram) I strongly suggest: always use your web browser and never the app, try to uninstall or deactivate any of the social 'apps' from your devices, assume everything that you post privately will become public (it eventually will be), never post pictures that you took on your phone while Location was enabled, understand that to the cloud/social companies, the feds, and anyone willing to pay for the data (increasingly including local LE) you have zero anonymity, and your activity isn't just recorded on facebook, google etc's own sites but those companies are also the web's largest ad networks so almost every other site, like this one, is wrapped up in their surveillance
Never use my phone to take pics unless it's work related. I use a real camera instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why would they do this. I don't like that when posting photos on Instagram and Facebook the quality of photos are always lawyer, than how it is from the beginning. Also the fact that I can;t overlay the photos in the app is out of sense. I don't understand why they don't make a normal photo editor, so you won't need to download and pay money for other photo editors. I think that if they will develop their own photo editor it will be very popular. It will save a lot of time, because once you finished editing, you can post from the same app on the phone.
_

·
Registered
908 Posts
Why would they do this?
It's their business model. Data is their oil, and they're figuring out how to productize the data we give them in every way. All this IT infrastructure and code is very expensive and they don't provide you free services as a charity. Generally, if you didn't pay for it you aren't the customer - you're the product. If you don't want your emails mined you have to pay for your email (and not converse with people who don't do the same - which is hard to do at this point).

Reactions: Big Muddy and LeAnn

·
Registered
121 Posts
A piece of tape over the ser. number will solve that problem quite easily. Thanks for the heads up.
Metadata.... they know whose device took the photo. Where it was taken. And whose IP address sent it.

Privacy in a Fishbowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
908 Posts
Which is why an SLR is the way to go.
My wife's 8 or 10 year old SLR still pukes metadata on its pictures including the serial number of the camera. There are simple ways like taking a screenshot and saving a new file and then resizing it to get rid of both the metadata and Much of the identifying unique characteristics of the imaging device.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts