FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
Just got my brand new SCAR 17S home - took it apart - cleaned it - then I found an area where the finish was discolored (lighter) with faint rust on the bolt carrier.

Guess I might be calling FNH tomorrow - have any of you guys seen this before?

Here is a pic:

image.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey Guys,
Just got my brand new SCAR 17S home - took it apart - cleaned it - then I found an area where the finish was discolored (lighter) with faint rust on the bolt carrier.

Guess I might be calling FNH tomorrow - have any of you guys seen this before?

Here is a pic:

View attachment 24240

I had bad luck too. Here is a pic of my FS2000 0.jpeg

Brand new gun and had to ship it to FN. What a pain to ship and horrible communication from them. They will fix it in about a few months. They will not provide an explanation or be very helpful when you call to find out what is going on. Constant nightmare because rust is a true enemy to guns, almost as bad as the stupid liberal communists. Never felt confident with their repair, I am sorry this is just weak of FN.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
That sucks, I feel your pain. Last week I had five items ( new ) come in and four of them had to be sent back due to defective products or they just sent the wrong part number. When I called them about the issues, it was all the same, no problem just send it back and we'll send you another one. Well this is a problem to me, its a lot of hassle to me, that I don't need ! Wake up and do your job right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw something similar on an M&P 10 BCG once. On the bcg where the bolt seats. Wasn't happy about that at all. Plus the bottom of the BCG looked like it had a lot of mileage traveling over brass. Not just from test firing at the manufacturer either. Felt like I got a new gun with a used BCG

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
It sucks and sorry for you. Since joining this forum I have learned never to accept delivery of a weapon until I break it down and inspect it, even then you might miss something so always double check. Wouldn't have changed your situation bc you would have left the LGS without a new SCAR! Send it in and stay on top of them. Mmgood luck.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hey Guys,
Faint rust? Is it pitted or can you wipe it off with some CLP? If it's actually corroded I'd send it back, otherwise clean it and drive on. That's just me, other people are really OCD and don't even shoot US milspec ammo through these rifles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sar1, that def sucks man. Make sure it's indeed rust and not some metal hocus pocus and if so call them up and send it back. For what we pay for these rifles I feel we should get a brand new, no imperfections weapon. With that out of the way, don't let this discourage you, the scar is one of the best weapons you will shoot. The 17 is just pure badass, I shot mine at training yesterday and it was so much fun, I promised myself to shoot it more often.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Reactions: Talhoffer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting this link to this thread. This is exactly what my bolt carrier looks like. Good explanation from Sgt Stryker on that thread.

The discoloration (lighter) doesn't bother me as much as the specs of brown within the finish. To be honest, I guess it could be some metal hocus pocus. It almost looks like there was some imperfections in the metal before it was finished. Perhaps there was slight rust on the part before it was finished? I am going to have to take a closer look.

I called FNH - explained the situation. He said that as long as it had a finish on it, discolorations are not a big deal / are natural. He said think of the rifle as a hammer - it is a tool. While I can respect that line of thinking - I guess I expect more for a $3000 rifle. None of my Arsenal AK's have these types of discolorations.

I am inclined to shoot it and enjoy it / forget about it. I bet it shoots better than my AK. = )

BTW - it wouldn't have mattered if I had dissembled the rifle at the gun shop. I bought it on Gunbroker - and had it shipped to my LGS. But good advice for the future - I do not normally field strip new guns before buying - but I will now.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Recall that factory new rifles can often sit in warehouses for months, if not years. Elements can get to them if not properly stored, even if only for a short time.
This. Soak it in CLP, let it sit for an hour or so to let the oil penetrate and leech the rust out. Wipe it down, assemble it and go shoot. Please remember that this is a true hard use rifle, it's meant to take a lot and I mean A LOT of abuse.

Hell, I've taken M16A2s into the jungles of Panama. After a couple of days the exterior of the barrel was damn near blaze orange as were the internals. When we came out for a rest and refit, a good soaking in oil took care of the surface rust.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I guess I expect more for a $3000 rifle.
This has been discussed before. The reason why scar is close to 3k has little to do with the quality of manufacturing or material. It has more to do with the way the "sportifed" version of the rifle has to be imported from Belgium then re-modified stateside to sell to US market. For example, the mk17 which is completely made in the US cost about half of 17s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Totally agree with you CPTDiaz. BTW - did your bolt carrier group have any specs of brown within the lighter area?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Nope, out of the box, it was covered in what smell like motor oil and cardboard dust. No rust tho.

·
Registered
505 Posts
As stated before. These rifles once they leave FN can sit in some warehouse for months. They can be transported from one warehouse to another. This could be a warehouse that has a leak or even near the coast. Who knows. I'm pretty sure though that your rifle didn't have rust when it was under FN's ownership.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
They will take care of ot for u-- sit tight and be patient. Warranty is a good thing and whe it may take a while- it will work out in the end. In the case your need it to be taken care of-- enjoy till then. It's like a birthmark. U know without a doubt this is your baby!

·
Registered
259 Posts
They will take care of ot for u-- sit tight and be patient. Warranty is a good thing and whe it may take a while- it will work out in the end. In the case your need it to be taken care of-- enjoy till then. It's like a birthmark. U know without a doubt this is your baby!
While warranty will take care of things, i think its unfair for the customers to wait months for something which the company has hundreds of parts sitting around that they could send out in less than a week if so long.

·
Registered
150 Posts
While warranty will take care of things, i think its unfair for the customers to wait months for something which the company has hundreds of parts sitting around that they could send out in less than a week if so long.
Which is why I say shoot it and don't worry. The bolt carrier looks fine and I can see nothing that would indicate the assembly has been weakened or compromised. Why suffer for months for FN to clean and scrub off the bolt carrier and send it back to you? If it is actually compromised and it breaks you'll get a whole new part or rifle. Basically, the risk/reward isn't worth it. The risk is your rifle will be at FN for a long time with the only reward being that they'll clean it just like the OP could.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts